G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Torby had such a magnificent reply to that post, I have nothing more to add to it...

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. What I should have said is that it's sad that it has only been viewed 81 times.
In the title of that post, "Lest we forget" kind of sums it up. From the amount of views, as compared to views at other post's started that same day...................

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Steve,
What's sad is the latest response to "Lest we forget" post. As a Vietnam combat vet, this is why you don't see many replies. That response IS SAD!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Lest we forget.... Never, thats why in Church this morning we had the veterans stand up so we could recognize them, thats why we had them stand so we could thank God for them and to pray to God to protect them, this memorial day is very important to me and my wife, we have been youth leaders in our church for 4 years now, took them when they were freshman to seniors this year, one of them is leaving for basic training June 3rd, graduation is May 30th. We have been blessed by these great kids for 4 years now, we are sad he is going, but very proud he is, what a great kid, the army is very lucky to have such an outstanding individual, and I graduated high school 28 years ago with his Dad, so this memorial day I got on my knees to pray for safety for ALL the people in the armed forces, they mean so much for this nation, and if the armed forces are a reflection of kids like the one I know is going, we are indeed in good hands.

tom h

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Posted By Steve S. on 05/25/2008 5:03 PM
Good point. What I should have said is that it's sad that it has only been viewed 81 times.
In the title of that post, "Lest we forget" kind of sums it up. From the amount of views, as compared to views at other post's started that same day...................

Steve, no worries, I should have explained myself better. I was so humbled by Torby's posting that that was all I could come up with.

I'm deeply moved by all the postings from Vietnam Vets on this forum; THANK YOU ALL!!! You were the heroes of my generation (growing up in the 70s & 80s) and inspired me to be like you. You all did a FANTASTIC job (I don't bother with all the propaganda put forth by the biased media), and WELCOME HOME! We shall never forget your sacrifices & good work, nor the sacrifices of all your comrades who did not make it home. I'm proud of all of you, thank you!!

And THANK YOU to all veterans; you are all why this country is still free.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Warren,
For all of us Viet Nam vets on this forum a big THANK YOU! It has been over 40 years for me and not until recently has anyone said "Thank you for what you and your friends did in Viet Nam.
Noel

Commander, 563rd Medical Clearing Company
Chu Lai I Corps 1967-1968

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was a Junior in high school the Veitnam war was brought to an end. At that time I was too nieve to realize about what had been going on for the previous 15 or so years. Now, some 35 years later it all makes sense. It was the first war determined by the biased media, who had a anti American agenda. The guys over there fighting in the jungles were stuck in the middle.......while so many others were singing cum - by- ya with Joan Biaz, and marching in the streets with Hanoi Jane.
No war is popular, but I do believe that the Vietnam Vets are finally being appreciated. The brainwashed Wackos of the 60's are still out there, but many citizens have finally gotten old enough to think for themselves and realize what a great job you guys did under impossible circumstances. Thank you.................if you had been given the chance and your hands not tied you would have won it in a few short years.

·
Administrator
5,727 Posts
I would add that we should also go out of our way to remember the Vets of "the forgotten war" - Korea - so called because it seldom seems to be remembered. Many of these Vets are still with us, and many didn't return home. Thank YOU for your service as well.

Thank you to the Vietnam Vets!

Thank you to the Vets of both Gulf Wars - one of which still continues as we speak.

Thank you to Vets everywhere, regardless of when you served! You have all done a magnificent job, and we are proud of and humbly grateful to ALL of you!!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank's for bringing Korea to my attention, Dwight. I am embarssed to say that I was not thinking about those Hero's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Dad was a WW11 vet and I thank God he came home and we had a normal life. There are so many that weren't as lucky, through all the wars since then, and I feel for them and their families. So much was and is sacrificed by so many, and it is hard to understand how difficult it has been for them. Yes, God bless all of you, and Thanks from the bottom of my heart!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC

Since Dad spoke fluent German, he spent the Korean war touring Germany courtesy of the army. He enjoyed it immensely.

As for me, I was too small and too sickly. Besides, they weren't drafting people for Grenada.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Torby for adding what Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC said here. When I turned 18 is when Carter gave amnesty to the Draft dodgers, abolished the draft, and even stoped the military registration process. I never even had to register. Because of my "Free Ride", I have always felt a special thank's to those that have served. And now, those that join on their own free will, are truly the most amazing of Americans.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
You must be my age. They stopped registering just before I would have had to register. When they started it again, I was just a little too old. Always wondered if they'd correct that.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I have posted some pictures of a Native-American ceremony/funeral of one of our own fallen veterans. I was afraid of these threads becoming locked due to the controversy. Sure enough, one of them was. So I posted these in my own on-going thread. The pictures say it all. There is no need for words except to explain the context. It starts with the first post at the top of the page.

Click the photo to go to my posts showing these moving images:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I was going to weigh in on the other thread and decided, naah. I do want to say that yesterday morning and got into my car and went to visit my mom and dad's grave. My dad was a WW2 vet (CBI, the armpit of the war.). I saw a lot more flags in their cemetery and the one next to it than I had for a bunch of years. Thank a vet they deserve it.
LAO

1 - 20 of 29 Posts