G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Since I can't afford a Porsche, perhaps Accucraft would consider taking a short siesta from west coast steam and NG, to look at the possibility of representin' the East Coast.

Hiawatha
Any B&O Pacific
NYC #999
PRR E6s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gifRR_E6s_1067.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 01/21/2009 3:16 PM
Funnily emough, it seemed to be the word "Aster" which set off the problems.
Don't say that! Dave Young will claim that I set it up that way on purpose!

Didn't you? LOL Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
This topic comes around every once in a while and is one of my favorate topics. As I think about it there are more "likeable" live steam engines already out there than I will ever be able to have. The list continues to grow and grow.

Of those now out there I would like to have (save for hurricane Ike and the current economy I would get one) are the Castle that Aster UK refers to, the Roundhouse Silver Lady Anne, and the upcomming Accrucraft K36, which I would like coal fired.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I would love to see a CB&Q O5B 4-8-4 and a S4A Hudson. Two of the most handsome engines ever to grace the rails IMHO. A CB&Q wood waycar (yes, that is what the Q called them) would be whipped cream on the cake.
N

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Youse Guys are something else.

You are all asking fore a NEW US prototype locomotive. Well guess what, you need to buy up the ones that are on the shelf at Aster in Japan, the Aster UK and Aster USA warehouses before Hans is going to fork over HIS money to build another engine. You all talk about NEW engines. You brow beat Aster into believing that a USRA Mike woulsd "sell like hot cakes" if they would bring it in at a lower price point. BS!!! The last two are being shipped to the US from Japan this week; after HOW MANY years?? There are Berks available, just ask around. Probably sitting in the UK if no where else. What is wrong with the Accucraft SP F-4/F-5? It is reasonably priced so should be an instant hit, especially for those with a stable of existing SP power. You ask for a re run of the Schools; they are not hard to find. Redone with the newer technology available it is a $5K locomotive, nearly twice the price of a used one in good condition. If done by accucraft it woulld still be $3700. ALWAYS remember that the engineering design cost of a locomotive that has to be able to be assembled from a kit by a moderately skilled individual costs at least twice that of a locomotive that will be assembled ONCE in a factory setting, and eventually taken apart by someone with a high level of skill, because it was never designed to be taken apart [easily]. Add the development of the assembly drawings and instructions for a kit and you add at least an additional $30K in sunk cost. Divide that into 250-300 locos and those little books are relatively expensive.

IF the objective is a smaller eastern road locomotive that I think would sell well [which is absolutely essential when asking someone else to fund the development of 'your' locomotive] I would suggest a heavy 2-8-0 such as the PRR H10sa or a similar NYC engine. The alternative is a 4-6-0 that was used in dual service, short freights and moderate sized passenger trains. I will NOT recommend my favorite northeast loco, the Central Vermont 2-10-4 with vandy tender, because I am not convinced enough people would buy a model of the smallest Texas ever built. I would like a PRR J1/C&O T-1 but again, we are talking a very large loco with a BIGGER tender that would not be at home on many layouts. So it may not be economically feasible unless the shelf collectors started sucking them up. Guess I will just have to save for an S-2 [GN NOT PRR] and an F-5 and quit worrying about telling Jerry and Hans how to spendTHEIR money.

Regards

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 01/21/2009 8:55 PM
Youse Guys are something else.

You are all asking fore a NEW US prototype locomotive. Well guess what, you need to buy up the ones that are on the shelf at Aster in Japan, the Aster UK and Aster USA warehouses before Hans is going to fork over HIS money to build another engine. You all talk about NEW engines. You brow beat Aster into believing that a USRA Mike woulsd "sell like hot cakes" if they would bring it in at a lower price point. BS!!! The last two are being shipped to the US from Japan this week; after HOW MANY years?? There are Berks available, just ask around. Probably sitting in the UK if no where else. What is wrong with the Accucraft SP F-4/F-5? It is reasonably priced so should be an instant hit, especially for those with a stable of existing SP power. You ask for a re run of the Schools; they are not hard to find. Redone with the newer technology available it is a $5K locomotive, nearly twice the price of a used one in good condition. If done by accucraft it woulld still be $3700. ALWAYS remember that the engineering design cost of a locomotive that has to be able to be assembled from a kit by a moderately skilled individual costs at least twice that of a locomotive that will be assembled ONCE in a factory setting, and eventually taken apart by someone with a high level of skill, because it was never designed to be taken apart [easily]. Add the development of the assembly drawings and instructions for a kit and you add at least an additional $30K in sunk cost. Divide that into 250-300 locos and those little books are relatively expensive.

IF the objective is a smaller eastern road locomotive that I think would sell well [which is absolutely essential when asking someone else to fund the development of 'your' locomotive] I would suggest a heavy 2-8-0 such as the PRR H10sa or a similar NYC engine. The alternative is a 4-6-0 that was used in dual service, short freights and moderate sized passenger trains. I will NOT recommend my favorite northeast loco, the Central Vermont 2-10-4 with vandy tender, because I am not convinced enough people would buy a model of the smallest Texas ever built. I would like a PRR J1/C&O T-1 but again, we are talking a very large loco with a BIGGER tender that would not be at home on many layouts. So it may not be economically feasible unless the shelf collectors started sucking them up. Guess I will just have to save for an S-2 [GN NOT PRR] and an F-5 and quit worrying about telling Jerry and Hans how to spendTHEIR money.

Regards

I have to admit to complete astonishment as to why the Mike has not sold out. I have two and they run great. Of course, I also am in wonderment that no one has seconded my suggestion for a model of the "General"... apparently those of us with particular tastes in locomotives are few and singular.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Dr. Rivet......................

You start off by saying how "we" are "Something else", for stating our dream loco's. Then you explain the economics of:
Getting Aster to build a engine of which I whole hearty understand and agree with you on. (Thanks Han's for having the guts to do it). And then "you" do what you tell "us" not to do and name the engines that "you" would like to see. Lighten up, or at least be consistent.
I know Aster should never build a Erie Triplex (That was my suggestion) but it is fun to think about such things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I am supprised that the Aster Mike didnt sell out sooner, but then again, while the price point was good for an Aster, how many home garden railways have the wide radius curves to handle an 8 coupled engine. I would bet there are far more with LGB R1 and R2 curves out there state side. Mine is a mix of both. I also prefer coal or gas firing, but will deal with meths if necessary. I would also love to see the General done in live steam along with my ICRR Rodges 4-6-0 #382. Doing the smaller engine of one that has a place in the history books, would not only appeal to the operators of smaller layouts, but to the collectors that might be into civil war era stuff and want an nice piece on the mantle. Both of those engines could be done with slip eccentric, or what I would prefer, full Stephenson motion between the frames. To bad wood burners dont scale down to 1:32nd as the General burned wood and not coal during the war years, only got converted to coal after it was rebuilt following the war. That would be interesting to keep up feeding a boiler scale split wood logs! P.S. I would love a NKP Berk, but for one I cant run it at home, and to it costs more than most of my vehicles we own. Till the global economy gets its act together, espicaly here in the states, I suspect we wont see much in new model anouncements for a bit. Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Ooo yuck! Slip eccentrics? BLEAH! That'd be a complete sale killer.

Alcohol or gas burner with a fake wood load would not bother me, but 1:29 would be a total sale killer also.

If it can't be made right, don't bother!

BTW: I have been in the cab of the General... granted it is "cold, stuffed and mounted" in the Kennesaw museum, but it was GRAND to stand in the cab and look down the boiler barrel and walk back into the tender and such. Beautiful machine and worthy of the name GENERAL.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Just for the record, the Aster USRA Mikado will run on 2 metre curves (6 foot 6 inches). It may not look great on such a tight curve but this is a powerful loco. The last few kits are nearly gone.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Dave -- Use Coal on 01/21/2009 7:07 PM
This topic comes around every once in a while and is one of my favorate topics. As I think about it there are more "likeable" live steam engines already out there than I will ever be able to have. The list continues to grow and grow.

Of those now out there I would like to have (save for hurricane Ike and the current economy I would get one) are the Castle that Aster UK refers to, the Roundhouse Silver Lady Anne, and the upcomming Accrucraft K36, which I would like coal fired.

Dave, I have to agree with that. Aster continues to make some beautiful models and if Accucraft makes everything they have on their plate I will be bankrupt anyway. The only thing I don't see on their list is that Westside Lumber Shay in live steam. What happenned to that? They made the electric version and all those beautiful log cars to go with it.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Why not a 4-4-0 with a reasonable price tag. Two that come to mind are the NYC&HR RR 999 and 870 class. These have big boilers and share many parts. The 870 was a long time branch line runner and some were used by other railroads. The 999 has some history and could probably be built to run like the schools in terms of reliability.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I am surprised that the Aster Mike didn't sell out sooner

My opinion is that with the Mikado, Aster delivered what was asked for. A awesome engine at a lower price point. They were able to do this because of the lack of detail. When people saw it, they did however mis this detail................thus the slow sale through. Proof of this is how the Southern Mikado with axle pump and all the usual Aster detail sold out rather fast. Aster did offer a detail kit and axle pump for the basic Mikado. This was after many had already built their kits or had purchased their ready to run and are hard to add (for most) after the original build.

All this being said, the Aster Mikado is one of the finest running Loco's Aster has ever built and will pull like a mule. The video posted shows this. The three that run at my track on a regular basis show this too. If the builder of the kit has done their job correctly, they are just about bullet proof. A great engine.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
OK, I'll 2nd Semper Vaporo's suggestion for a standard gauge 4-4-0 like the General. While THE General would be great, just something close enough that could be made into the General, the Texan, the Senator.....take your pic.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Posted By Mark Scrivener on 01/24/2009 1:15 AM
OK, I'll 2nd Semper Vaporo's suggestion for a standard gauge 4-4-0 like the General. While THE General would be great, just something close enough that could be made into the General, the Texan, the Senator.....take your pic.

Ah, so now we are kitbashing Asters, That takes a lotta nerve. Seriously it would be interesting to hear how many Aster designs have been 'bashed' into other locomotives. I know there was Jim Hadden's 'Frank the Tank' built from a Frank S, and Ross Schlabach's C&O Kanawaha built from a Berkshire. How about others?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Hey Joel - its Saturday and you're in France - why are you on the internet?

That said, turning a standard gauge 4-4-0 into the General or any other famous 4-4-0 from that era would hardly be a bash...simply a paint and detail job. Kinda like (dare I say) Aster's black Mikado that could be made into any number of Mikados.

Oh, and turning the number plate upside down on your Berk doesn't count as a kit bash ;-)

41 - 60 of 128 Posts