G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Saddleback.
Challenger.
Live Steam Combine or early steam Interurban.

And of course, the most obvious choice; Dwight's Cab Forward!!!

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I would like to see aster make a bunch of the earlier engines, The lion is a fun engine to run and I have a ball running the one I have. Aster made a ton of them and the lion is sold out, thunderbolt is still around.

Here are some fun ideas for engines not to hurt the pocketbook much that would be fun from aster,

John Bull

Stephenson Rocket

Planet

Have a Victorian roundhouse full of these types would be impressive.

I wouldn't mine a rerun of the Aster Jumbo!

I pick aster for these small engines cause they seem to have them running like swiss watches which I think is required to run a locomotive that is so small.
Also make sure you include some type of axle pump, these boilers are very small. (maybe it runs on the axle of the tender)

·
Registered
237 Posts
How 'bout a Pennsy I-1 2-10-0? Or a Reading T-1 4-8-4? Examples of both are preserved.

Or maybe a Selkirk? Or pull out all the stops and go for a Norfolk and Western Y-6b?

If you like British prototypes, I'll guess that nobody's offered a "Clan" thus far, or a Standard 4 or 5 4-6-0 (a mite controversial, those, the design was not everyone's cup of tea). Stanier 8F's (2-8-0) are nice.

IMHO, Aster will continue to concentrate on the higher end of the market (if it ain't broke...), so they'll stick to (big) standard gauge tender engines, that's where the money is.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
This is all good input so let me respond as follows.

Pete T. The trouble with a LNER V2 or B1 (or later A1 and A2) is that are similar to the Flying Scotsman which we have done in both LNER and BR styles.

Curmudge. The City of Truro is an excellent choice but it has been produced in huge quantities by Barratt Engineering over the last 25 years so would be a less than good choice for Aster.

Andrew F. I like the idea of Rocket but the boiler capacity would be tiny so I think that is a non starter. Sad.

There is no shortage of Aster Schools since they made over 3000 in 1975 and so anyone who wants one can find a good example for not too much money.

Let me say again that the new

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Reading T-1 could be delivered in nice C&O yellow scheme that it ran with on fan trips in the 70's.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
For the US prototyypes - classic US Streamliners - the Dreyfuss Hudson is pure art but I'd settle for NWW J 611, B&O Royal Blue, Commodore Vanderbilt, Class A Hiawatha, Class F7 etc etc. I know Aster did the Commodare Vanderbilt but only in an electric version.

As I now live in the pacific NW, I'd love to see some more logging locos - especially the Heisler. I drive past a small railroad museum in Snoqualamine fairly often and usually stop to look wistfully at the sad Heisler that is slowly rusting away.

For British - I'm not so sure. I accept Andrew's analysis that the Castle is light years ahead of King GV, but they do look really similar and I've yet to be persuaded to part with my money.

Robert

Attachments

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Robert - Any B&O President Class Pacific would be in my book, especially the streamlined Cincinnatian or Royal Blue. Again, I'm afraid the size of the loco would be on the boarder of "Too Big" for me to handle alone. However, to have a B&O, I'll learn to ask for help.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Mr Robert - If you are not in G1MRA see iif you can borrow a copy of the latest G1 newsletter and read Dave Stick's building report on the 'Castle'.

THAT'll convince ya if nothing else does. Even better, watch it on Andrew's video on Youtube.

For copyright reasons you'll have to look it up yourself.

A LOT of technical water has gone under the bridge since KGV.

tac
http://www.ovgrs,org/

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Pete Thornton on 01/21/2009 7:42 AM
if its British prototypes that you like

While not an Aster, I wonder why Accucraft hasn't made a live steam version of the A3 "Flying Scotsman". They've just announced another run (go get your sparky now,) so they have plenty of chassis and detail parts.

Andrew - why not a V2 or B1 mixed traffic loco? To me (a staunch LNER fan,) the Castles and Kings look the same. Oh, the V2 looks like an A3 to the none-discerning eye?

I agree with a lot of sentiment that a small to mid-size engine would be nice. NYC 999 is an interesting option, as is the 'Hiawatha' (funny how I usually agree with Kent - maybe it's because my SA number is 4472 !)

First of all, there is a lot of work to make an live-steam A3 from a basic electric version, but it will probably happen.

Secondly, other manufacturers already build a B1, albeit in kit form, but you could always short cut and get one of many builders to make you one.

Thiird and lastly, if you think that a V2 [a 2-6-2 ] looks like an A3 [a 4-6-2 pacific]...........

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Here is an unique stream line steam locomotive, just happen to come across it:
http://www.trainweb.org/tusp/pics/portargentina.jpg
Seems that there are probably much more of these that could be very interesting to hobbyists and to the business of making the hobby continue into the
"future."

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Robert

All GWR 4-6-0 tender locomotives have a strong family resemblance since the GWR designed a near perfect locomotive (the Star class) in the early 1900’s and with various modifications stayed with that design for the next 50 years.

The Castle class grew from the Star class and the King was basically a bigger Castle but lost the athletic and compact looks of its smaller brother

In the UK the Castles have always been the rail fans true icons of God’s Wonderful Railway. The Kings have always been regarded as the Castle’s overweight big brother.

The Aster King has always been a bit of a troublesome loco; difficult to build and maintain and not always easy to drive. The less said about the Aster King's wrong colour and heavy liniing (stripping) the better. The Castle has been a complete rethink of the 4 cylinder design and kits built so far have not had the troubles that the King has faced. On the track the

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Hi all, not sure why my notes are getting all this garbage incorporated into the text. Any advice appreciated. Here is a clean version. I Hope!![/i]

Robert

All GWR 4-6-0 tender locomotives have a strong family resemblance since the GWR designed a near perfect locomotive (the Star class) in the early 1900’s and with various modifications stayed with that design for the next 50 years.

The Castle class grew from the Star class and the King was basically a bigger Castle but lost the athletic and compact looks of its smaller brother

In the UK the Castles have always been the rail fans true icons of God’s Wonderful Railway. The Kings have always been regarded as the Castle’s overweight big brother.

The Aster King has always been a bit of a troublesome loco; difficult to build and maintain and not always easy to drive. The less said about the Aster King's wrong colour and heavy liniing (stripping) the better. The Castle has been a complete rethink of the 4 cylinder design and kits built so far have not had the troubles that the King has faced. On the track the Aster Castle is much freer and more rewarding to run and the beat (stack talk) has been sensational. Twenty years have elapsed since the Aster King was introduced and you can really see the difference in the Aster Castle. Trust me on this one Robert, build an Aster Castle – you will not be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I'll look for the report. The KGV performs well as this video I made before I moved away from the bay area shows. She needs a little blower on all the time to keep pressure up but generally works well so I'd be fascinated to hear of the technical improvements.

Robert

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Robert

A nice video but your KGV is only pulling 5 coaches whereas the new Castle will handle 10+ without a slip.

The technical improvements include

1. A new boiler with two external water tubes. Much more steam generated.

2. Stronger valve gear and better valve events.

3. Oil tank under cab floor.

4. Removable fuel tank.

5 Better and clearer cab layout - no ugly controls outside the cab.

6. Better springing.

7. Cast iron wheels which are not insulated and not prove to loosing their tires.

8. Improved exhaust flow and so better exhaust beat.

9. Axle pump which keeps up with the steam utilised.

I am not knocking the Aster King, just saying that the Castle is 20 years better.
Using a similar arguement we could say that Windoews 95 was a great piece of software but the world has moved on and now Windows XP is a whole lot better. Win 95 is the Aster King - XP is the Castle. Same family but now better. Hope we are not getting to set off all those Mac users!!!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Posted By AsterUK on 01/21/2009 1:38 PM
Robert

A nice video but your KGV is only pulling 5 coaches whereas the new Castle will handle 10+ without a slip.

The technical improvements include

1. A new boiler with two external water tubes. Much more steam generated.

2. Stronger valve gear and better valve events.

3. Oil tank under cab floor.

4. Removable fuel tank.

5 Better and clearer cab layout - no ugly controls outside the cab.

6. Better springing.

7. Cast iron wheels which are not insulated and not prove to loosing their tires.

8. Improved exhaust flow and so better exhaust beat.

9. Axle pump which keeps up with the steam utilised.

I am not knocking the Aster King, just saying that the Castle is 20 years better.
Using a similar arguement we could say that Windoews 95 was a great piece of software but the world has moved on and now Windows XP is a whole lot better. Win 95 is the Aster King - XP is the Castle. Same family but now better. Hope we are not getting to set off all those Mac users!!!

Sensitive subject - our most recent operating system is Windows Vista soon to be replaced by Windows 7. Problem is that a lot of our users still prefer the older Windows/XP

Robert

·
Administrator
5,739 Posts
Hi all, not sure why my notes are getting all this garbage incorporated into the text. Any advice appreciated. Here is a clean version. I Hope!!
The new editor has a bug which corrupts emoticons (smileys) when one edits a post containing them. The only way around that is to either (a) delete them and re-insert them during the edit process, or (b) not to use them. It's a PITA I know, and the developer hopefully has a fix in the works.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Thanks Dwight, no more Smileys for me then!

Funnily emough, it seemed to be the word "Aster" which set off the problems. Although I have used a few smileys since not all MLSers understand British humor.
And hey - Windows 7 - you read it here on MLS first! Well I did anyway!

Andrew

21 - 40 of 128 Posts