G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is an interesting question. While there are numerous locomotives that have not been made in Live Steam, when I think about it I tend to come up with those already mentioned; ie, those that have already been produced but no longer available from the producers.

To the list I would add the Berk and the Jumbo both sold of which are sold out.

This clearly means the folks that have been making the selections for production are doing a darn good job.

In addition, I would like to see the Roundhouse engines currently available with radio control only as manual engines.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 01/21/2009 3:16 PM
Funnily emough, it seemed to be the word "Aster" which set off the problems.
Don't say that! Dave Young will claim that I set it up that way on purpose!

Didn't you? LOL Dave

·
Registered
233 Posts
This topic comes around every once in a while and is one of my favorate topics. As I think about it there are more "likeable" live steam engines already out there than I will ever be able to have. The list continues to grow and grow.

Of those now out there I would like to have (save for hurricane Ike and the current economy I would get one) are the Castle that Aster UK refers to, the Roundhouse Silver Lady Anne, and the upcomming Accrucraft K36, which I would like coal fired.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Posted By vmsysprog on 01/26/2009 12:41 PM
It's nice to dream, but the reality of things is - what can be produced that will sell? My understanding is that Hans is the guy in the U.S. that has produced or at least had significant input into the last two or three US prototype engines. From doing a high percentage of the research to fronting the money. In these economic times whose going to take a chance on a maybe? I think the Mikado's are a case in point. One of the engines I'd like to see made (and previously mentioned) is a N&W J. Some consider this a streamlined engine. I don't. I think there is enough moving parts to make it interesting. With all due respect to Hans, it's my understanding that stream line engines are not his favorite. (Although, I'd consider a SP 4449 about as streamlined as a J but I don't know if Hans was involved with the 4449). That leads me to my 2nd choice the UP 844. There has been enough knowledge gained from the previous engines, x-8-x wheel arrangement that this would fit with the current pattern of what is being produced. ( I LOVE that GN S2 Vandy tender). A 3rd choice, which had it's seed planted within the last 6 months or so, is the NYC Niagara with long distance tender. What would really be neat on this engine is if the S2 version (with real working poppit valves) would be produced). It's a tough decision but I'd go with the 844 in two-tone gray. Oh, and an aux. water tender painted in armour yellow would be the icing on the cake, but also adds more to the price. It's always something. :cool:
Steve

I certainly undurstand comercial considerations and what is necessary for the major producers like Accrucraft, Aster, and Roundhouse to prepare and engine for sale. However, I believe, the thread is about What would you like to see made in Live Steam without reguard for who makes it or necessarly commercial viability.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Existing/surviving steam locomotive....Steam locomotives  so many to choose from, so little time and even less ...money.   Such are our dreams of steam. 

Amen to that!

Like most livesteamers, I have numerous books giving the history of steam locomotives from all over the world.  There are not many (any) of the engines depicted that I would not like to have (coal fired of course).  Also, like most live steamers I cannot afford, nor do I have room for one of each that are currently available let alone one of each in the books.

As Andrew and Hans make their decisions, I will keep dreaming that I can have one. 

So for me "What would you like to see made in Live Steam" boils down to just pick any page of one of the books and then any locomotive discussed on that page.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts