G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 01/21/2009 8:55 PM
Youse Guys are something else.

You are all asking fore a NEW US prototype locomotive. Well guess what, you need to buy up the ones that are on the shelf at Aster in Japan, the Aster UK and Aster USA warehouses before Hans is going to fork over HIS money to build another engine. You all talk about NEW engines. You brow beat Aster into believing that a USRA Mike woulsd "sell like hot cakes" if they would bring it in at a lower price point. BS!!! The last two are being shipped to the US from Japan this week; after HOW MANY years?? There are Berks available, just ask around. Probably sitting in the UK if no where else. What is wrong with the Accucraft SP F-4/F-5? It is reasonably priced so should be an instant hit, especially for those with a stable of existing SP power. You ask for a re run of the Schools; they are not hard to find. Redone with the newer technology available it is a $5K locomotive, nearly twice the price of a used one in good condition. If done by accucraft it woulld still be $3700. ALWAYS remember that the engineering design cost of a locomotive that has to be able to be assembled from a kit by a moderately skilled individual costs at least twice that of a locomotive that will be assembled ONCE in a factory setting, and eventually taken apart by someone with a high level of skill, because it was never designed to be taken apart [easily]. Add the development of the assembly drawings and instructions for a kit and you add at least an additional $30K in sunk cost. Divide that into 250-300 locos and those little books are relatively expensive.

IF the objective is a smaller eastern road locomotive that I think would sell well [which is absolutely essential when asking someone else to fund the development of 'your' locomotive] I would suggest a heavy 2-8-0 such as the PRR H10sa or a similar NYC engine. The alternative is a 4-6-0 that was used in dual service, short freights and moderate sized passenger trains. I will NOT recommend my favorite northeast loco, the Central Vermont 2-10-4 with vandy tender, because I am not convinced enough people would buy a model of the smallest Texas ever built. I would like a PRR J1/C&O T-1 but again, we are talking a very large loco with a BIGGER tender that would not be at home on many layouts. So it may not be economically feasible unless the shelf collectors started sucking them up. Guess I will just have to save for an S-2 [GN NOT PRR] and an F-5 and quit worrying about telling Jerry and Hans how to spendTHEIR money.

Regards

I have to admit to complete astonishment as to why the Mike has not sold out. I have two and they run great. Of course, I also am in wonderment that no one has seconded my suggestion for a model of the "General"... apparently those of us with particular tastes in locomotives are few and singular.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Ooo yuck! Slip eccentrics? BLEAH! That'd be a complete sale killer.

Alcohol or gas burner with a fake wood load would not bother me, but 1:29 would be a total sale killer also.

If it can't be made right, don't bother!

BTW: I have been in the cab of the General... granted it is "cold, stuffed and mounted" in the Kennesaw museum, but it was GRAND to stand in the cab and look down the boiler barrel and walk back into the tender and such. Beautiful machine and worthy of the name GENERAL.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
The difficulty in bashing any of the present 4-4-0 in live steam to be the General would be fitting the large drivers. The drivers of present locos barely reach to the bottom of the boiler, but the General the tops of the drivers is even with the center line of the boiler. The cylinders would also have to be repositioned to allow larger drivers to keep them in-line with the axles. I am sure someone could do it, but it is not just a paint job and decorations.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By tacfoley on 01/25/2009 1:08 PM
The 'Flying Frankfurter'............trouble is, there's zilch to show that it's a steam locomotive......where are all those lovely wiggly bits?

BTW- a Swiss member of the G1MRA has actually built the blue version of this record-breaking loco...

tac
www.ovgrs.org

WOW! I didn't know the Guiness Book of World Records had a category for Ugliest Locomotive!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By tacfoley on 01/26/2009 9:50 AM
Posted By Bob Pope on 01/26/2009 9:26 AM
Tac,

Please recall that the name of this thread is 'What would you like to see made in Live Steam'.

It would be pretty boring if we all had the same answer to the question.

Regards,
Bob

True.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/

Yes, that is true, but if everybody listed the exact same locomotive, some manufacturer might get a burr under their blanket and make it! :)))

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Joel779 on 01/26/2009 10:58 PM
Posted By weaverc on 01/26/2009 7:26 AM
Joel, your CF
and
Bob, your BF 05 001 nominations
both surprise me because one of the fascinations of a steam locomotive, is that the mechanics are on the outside so their movement and interactions can be observed when in motion. Although both your nominated locomotives are unique and fascinatinating in their own way, having their mechanics in a shell takes away my enjoyment of a steam locomotive. Most mechanical things have their moving parts hidden and lack character, but not a moving rod or geared engine. I vote for a 7/8ths scale locomotive with no aerodynamic shell to hide the guts.

Carl and all,

Sorry, didn't mean to hit a sore point, I think we should have re-named the thread 'truely unusual locomotives'. As was stated, if all we built were the 'normal' stuff, this hobby wouild get pretty boring pretty fast. The NG guys pull out all the stops when it comes to 'unique' engines to model, while us SG folk have to follow the standard rod driven format of the big heavyweight machines. While creating a kit of the BF 05 would certainly have limited appeal, I can see where this could be a very unique scratch build, and with the 'windows open' there would be wiggly bits for all to see. That would just add to the mistique of this engine. I personally think some of the streamliners of the 50's were works of art and would be quick to nominate any of them.

Oooo now, if'n ya'll wants UNUSUAL... then I'd vote for either of the following:

Fontaines Folly (aka Fontaines Fiasco)

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/fontaine/fontaine.htm

Holman Absurdity (aka Holman Horror)

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/holman/holman.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts