G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, wish list time. For me I want to see one engine done, preferably by Aster with correct Stephenson valve motion. Aster seems to like producing engines that were notable in history. How about doing the Rodgers 4-6-0 #382 that J.L. (Casey) Jones rode into history in 1900. The engine has classic turn of the century looks, tall drivers, spoked pilot wheels, beautifull lines, the real whistle that Casey used still exhists in a museum so it could be duplicated on the model. Its a small enough prototype to fill a need for a smaller engine amoung all the monsters they have done in recent years. I know I would sell of several things to buy a kit version of this engine in live steam. I would want to see it with correct valve gear, while it makes the kit more expensive, it makes it more accurate. I am sure I will never see this produced, but I can dream!! Heck, if we are dreaming, make it have a locomotive type boiler with coal firing option! Cheers Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really think aster has forgotten those of us that cannot afford to spend what a nice car costs, on a live steam engine. Nobody will dispute that what they make are museum qualitry models that can be operated. But they really need to get back to making a few smaller engines at a price point that more can afford. My guess is that Aster is leaving the middle and bottom end of the market to Accucraft and is concentrating on those that have bottomless wallets and way to much bloody money. Cheers Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I am supprised that the Aster Mike didnt sell out sooner, but then again, while the price point was good for an Aster, how many home garden railways have the wide radius curves to handle an 8 coupled engine. I would bet there are far more with LGB R1 and R2 curves out there state side. Mine is a mix of both. I also prefer coal or gas firing, but will deal with meths if necessary. I would also love to see the General done in live steam along with my ICRR Rodges 4-6-0 #382. Doing the smaller engine of one that has a place in the history books, would not only appeal to the operators of smaller layouts, but to the collectors that might be into civil war era stuff and want an nice piece on the mantle. Both of those engines could be done with slip eccentric, or what I would prefer, full Stephenson motion between the frames. To bad wood burners dont scale down to 1:32nd as the General burned wood and not coal during the war years, only got converted to coal after it was rebuilt following the war. That would be interesting to keep up feeding a boiler scale split wood logs! P.S. I would love a NKP Berk, but for one I cant run it at home, and to it costs more than most of my vehicles we own. Till the global economy gets its act together, espicaly here in the states, I suspect we wont see much in new model anouncements for a bit. Cheers Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts