G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, wish list time. For me I want to see one engine done, preferably by Aster with correct Stephenson valve motion. Aster seems to like producing engines that were notable in history. How about doing the Rodgers 4-6-0 #382 that J.L. (Casey) Jones rode into history in 1900. The engine has classic turn of the century looks, tall drivers, spoked pilot wheels, beautifull lines, the real whistle that Casey used still exhists in a museum so it could be duplicated on the model. Its a small enough prototype to fill a need for a smaller engine amoung all the monsters they have done in recent years. I know I would sell of several things to buy a kit version of this engine in live steam. I would want to see it with correct valve gear, while it makes the kit more expensive, it makes it more accurate. I am sure I will never see this produced, but I can dream!! Heck, if we are dreaming, make it have a locomotive type boiler with coal firing option! Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
Be nice to see a -4-4-2 also. Especially in the Northwestern version
Later RJD

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
For me, one of the most classic engines of all time is the J1e Hudson. I know Aster made one of these years ago, but they were gas fired and hard to find. Would be nice to see Aster or Accucraft make an alcohol version of this engine while incorporating all they have learned over the years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Most definitely a rebuilt Merchant Navy or a Peppercorn A1. It would have to be done by Aster because then it would be done right, both visually and internally.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I would like to see Aster re-release their Schools class. I think the best running engine ever built.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Rob Meadows on 01/19/2009 12:40 PM Most definitely a rebuilt Merchant Navy or a Peppercorn A1. It would have to be done by Aster because then it would be done right, both visually and internally.

Mr Rob - the first has been done by Barrett Engineering, albeit as a kit, and having spoken to the very genttleman concerned about the second in the recent past [see my post re: 'Tornado] I can inform you that it will not happen anytime soon due to a perceived lack of interest for yet another 'green British locomotive' by the US market.

On the other paw, I would like to have seen a different 'Northern' chosen than the mummified S-2, beautiful though it is. For me, and for personal reasons, it would have to be the SP&S E3 Northern #700, as preserved in full workng order in Portland OR.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Got to agree that a tall-drivered, turn-of-the-century Rogers ten-wheeler would be my first choice. A tall-drivered Atlantic would be good, too. How about the Hiawatha 4-4-2, if it's a classic you want to see?

Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
I understand that the next locomotive to be built by Aster will be a real monster and it will be a FRENCH four cylinder compound 4-8-4. It will be very expensive and cost as much as a small country.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really think aster has forgotten those of us that cannot afford to spend what a nice car costs, on a live steam engine. Nobody will dispute that what they make are museum qualitry models that can be operated. But they really need to get back to making a few smaller engines at a price point that more can afford. My guess is that Aster is leaving the middle and bottom end of the market to Accucraft and is concentrating on those that have bottomless wallets and way to much bloody money. Cheers Mike

G

·
>>I would like to see Aster re-release their Schools class. I think the best running engine ever built.

This would be very difficult to argue against. The Schools is about as basic as they came but have proven to be one of the most bang-for-the-buck engines. One would expect a "new" Schools to be a different animal though. Aside from the simplicity of design the original took liberties with scale and proportion and a good scale rendition of it, especially in 10mm, would actually be a rather hefty beast, for a 4-4-0.

G

·
>>Aster has forgotten us

Here we go again. It's all relative. There are some "nice" cars for which the price of an Aster won't buy a tuneup and brake job. Personally I don't think Aster owes me (or you, or the "hobby") anything. A builder of big houses doesn't owe me a bigger house than I can afford or an luxury auto dealer doesn't owe me a nicer car than I can afford, why should anyone expect that of Aster? Oh buggar, I forgot, it's my hobby and I should be entitled to have anything I want available at the price I am willing to pay. I'm almost certain that's written in the Magna Carta or Rosetta Stone or Treaty of Ghent some old thing like that.

Aster have identified their market niche, where they are very successful, and by unhappy coincidence I am no longer in their niche, just as I am no longer in Porsche's market niche. This doesn't make Aster or Porsche bad boys, no more than it makes me a bad (or lazy) boy for not earning enough to be among current owners. To blame Aster or any maker because I can't afford their product and refer to them disparrangingly, as someone has recently as "Aster Snobby", is rather adolescent.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I love seeing this topic come up. I for one always loved the bigger engines. Now, finding my place as a wheelchair using live steamer, I have found a new appreciation for the smaller engines. My S-12 is just perfect for me to handle. I can move it safely on the table, flip and roll it around, oil, clean, fill and even carry it on my lap and lift it onto the track. I can't begin to express the satisfaction I find in being independent while steaming. I am sure had I gone after the S-2, my dependence upon other steamers; while we all know how willing steamers are to help another; would have added a layer of frustration to my new found passion.

On this same idea, I spoke briefly with Hans at Diamondhead about the possibility of a smaller engine in the future. I received a quick economics/business lesson, which was most helpful. Roughly for Aster to create a locomotive, they need to achieve $1 Million in sales. The larger more expensive engines are the safer bet for Aster.

That being said:

The thought of owning an early high speed passenger loco is very appealing. One of the ideas I had was the NYC 999. That would be sweet pulling a short consist of over weighted passenger cars.

Then again, did I hear someone say Hiawatha? Thinking it over, I'd be hard pressed to find a better choice than a 4-4-2, no matter who she is.

p.s. I think I'm gonna go and research the Hiawatha for a bit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This is an interesting question. While there are numerous locomotives that have not been made in Live Steam, when I think about it I tend to come up with those already mentioned; ie, those that have already been produced but no longer available from the producers.

To the list I would add the Berk and the Jumbo both sold of which are sold out.

This clearly means the folks that have been making the selections for production are doing a darn good job.

In addition, I would like to see the Roundhouse engines currently available with radio control only as manual engines.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Regarding smaller engines and Aster - in 2002 and 2003 they released the B20, a small 0-4-0 Japanese prototype. So small engines certainly aren't out of the question for Aster. Now I'm not going to tell Aster how to run their business, they seem to be doing a fine job, and I do enjoy the large engines, even if I can't afford them. But, as much as I enjoy the large engines (and dream of getting more), I'm starting to appreciate small engines more....inexpensive (relatively) to acquire, easier to maintain and transport, and much less demanding on a layout - (both in terms of min radius and tolerance of track irregularities).

Fortunately we have at least 4 large commercial manufactures of quality 45m gauge live steam locomotives - Aster, Accucraft, Regner, and Roundhouse, each with a different product offering. Then there are the small shops offering limited runs, modifications, etc. I'd have to say the hobby has probably never been better.

Still....to paraphrase Crumudge.....I want a Porsche (Aster) for the price of a Yugo (Hartland?), 'cuz it says so in the Magna Carta!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Would like to see Aster make the Erie Triplex. That my friends, would be a BEAST!!
I wonder if Aster could make one that would actually run well. The real ones did not. But, they sure are something to look at.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yes Steve, a Triplex would be a Porsche I'd be happy to watch.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
It’s always interesting and useful to hear what customers really want and we do listen seriously to what we are told either off-board or on public forums like MLS. So if its British prototypes that you like then let me know.

Meanwhile the new Aster GWR Castle class loco has been a great success with many kits currently under construction.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
if its British prototypes that you like

While not an Aster, I wonder why Accucraft hasn't made a live steam version of the A3 "Flying Scotsman". They've just announced another run (go get your sparky now,) so they have plenty of chassis and detail parts.

Andrew - why not a V2 or B1 mixed traffic loco? To me (a staunch LNER fan,) the Castles and Kings look the same. Oh, the V2 looks like an A3 to the none-discerning eye?

I agree with a lot of sentiment that a small to mid-size engine would be nice. NYC 999 is an interesting option, as is the 'Hiawatha' (funny how I usually agree with Kent - maybe it's because my SA number is 4472 !)

1 - 20 of 128 Posts