G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by a group that was behind the future prduction of the 1/29 Scale Cab Forward what would be a good choice for thier next 1/29 scale project. They were thinking smothng smaller or at least a lower price point as the AC-12 was a 5K ticket.   

I suggested a GS-4 Daylight and to morph the production to allow authentic Northerns of other roads.  USA made nice Daylight cars and although you can pull them with PA's or E8's everyone who owns the set will buy a reasonably priced GS-4 to pull all those 1/29 cars.

On the small side I suggested a 1/29 Southern Pacific 0-6-0 S12 with short Vandy tender like the one Accucraft is making in 1/32 scale. 

I belive the custom run will be made by KISS in Germany and there needs to be a run of 100 to make it happen. Anyone have any sugestions?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
The SP GS-4 would certainly be a popular choice; it's a favorite in ANY scale!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Some other popular 4-8-4's would be Norfork & Western's "J" class, UP's FEF class, NYC "Niagara".

OTHER than 4-8-4's some of my own votes?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif -

New Haven I-5 streamlined 4-6-4!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif (Recently done very nicely :) in HO by "Broadway Limited" - I've actually considered buying one!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif).  The 4-6-4 wheel arrangement also opens up loads of possibilities - NYC "Hudsons" (suggest the streamlined, since USA Trains already makes a beautiful standard Hudson), CP "Royal Hudson (Yes, I know Accucraft made a 1:32 live-steam one), Milwaukee Road F-7 "Hiawatha".  The 4-6-4 wheel arrangement might be a bit more "layout-friendly" then Northern types - not all of us have the real estate for 20-foot diameter curves!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

Atlantic types would also be nice - PRR E6 class, for example, or Milwaukee "Class A" Hiawatha 4-4-2. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Tom

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
If they make a Northern before Aristo makes a plastic one, they would have a good market. Bought an Accucraft/AML K4 because I needed a Pacific type that could pull something.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
What would I Like in 1/29 Scale Brass?

well..nothing...

because plastic looks just as good, and is much cheaper.

If you are going to build it, please build it in plastic.

Scot

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Tom Lapointe on 02/15/2008 7:48 PM

Atlantic types would also be nice -  Milwaukee "Class A" Hiawatha 4-4-2.

I'd sure like to see THAT in streamlined, but it doesn't need to be done in brass !

--Ron in NX-CC

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Choice #1 - SP&S E-1 Northern #700 - a preserved and RUNNING in and around Oregon and neighbouring states [unlike the recently-produced GN S-2 fossil].

Choice #2 - AT&SF Northern #3751 - as preserved and RUNNING in and around California.

Choice #3 - ANY smaller USRA-type loco...

tac
www.ovgrs.org  

1 - 7 of 7 Posts