G Scale Model Train Forum banner

What train items did you get for Christmas?

7K views 53 replies 46 participants last post by  leonpete 
#1 ·
Just wondering what people got for Christmas, train wize. I got a USA Christmas Piggy back car and the log cabin kit that was in the last issue of GR-it is really neat!

#27 ·
I told my kids I wanted a couple of books: "Birth of California Narrow Gauge" about the Carter Bros and the economic impact of NG in CA, plus "Iron Horses", a large size photo book with some clear b&w photos of old locos and not-so-clear color pics. It has a pic of a 4-2-2 which apparently was a 4-2-4 buit looks as if it should have been a 4-4-0.

#31 ·
Hi Guys,

The better half done good this year, I received a drop bottom gondola kit [P. Dippel kit] and six weeks ago we where at an auction and I was winning bider on an older Grisley combo lathe/ mill machine. this was brand new, sat in a factory in Allentown for 19 years in the org shipping crate.The auction house took it out of the crate to seel it. Included was an enco brand new 4 jaw chuck. Total cost for machine and chuck $ 160.00 bucks. Gerry told me at the time I was bidding that this would be part of my Christmas present from her.

I also bought a 4 inch rotary table to go with it, all in all a great Christmas.

Chuck

#32 ·
We had a bridge to be built out of scrap sq tubing by one of our group train guys. Be darn... it showed up Xmas day. It going in at Hillsdalle wye over Ouch creek. Its 8 &1/2 foot long on one frame. Very nice work. Sure is heavy....

Now have to get the wiring in for over head lights and walk ways boards put in.

http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/noelw/Hillsdale Bridge/Hillsdale bridge2.jpg

Another angle of the bridge setting on the set up area..

/1stclass/noelw/Hillsdale Bridge/Hillsdale bridge2.jpg

This is where it nice to have a Train group of guys that trade off our skill to each other. Thats why I spend a lot of time making animation for there stuff and elect. project that we get in very deep in to.. If it out there we will build it somehow.

Jerry.........Did you get any photos taken of your Xmas pig car and Log cab. kit??.

Ours was a Very nice Xmas day.

http://www.mylargescale.com/1stclass/noelw/Hillsdale Bridge/Hillsdale bridge2.jpg

#33 ·
Jerry I got no choo choos except for the ones I bought myself. Santa said he brought me more than enough choo choos in my first childhood, so he brought me thermals so I can be a warm engineer while MUing my locos at work

-Will

#34 ·
Friend Wife, Son on Christmas day helped me clear/repair more of the room the layout is going into. I plan to start building the first 'module' (it isn't a modular layout, will just be built in sections) right after the first of the year. Almost 2 yrs from when I discovered LS. Go me.

Les

I also bought me to me a back issue of NG&SLG, and promptly, same day, mislaid it w/o ever getting it out of the wrapper.

#36 ·
From my wife and daughters: DVD "Johnny Cash, Ridin' the Rails," DVD "War Trains," and a mouse pad with a color image of my favorite train - the Reading Crusader. From my longtime pen pal in Fleet, Hampshire, England: the book Locomotives from the National Collection.

I prefer to purchase my own track, rolling stock, and motive power. Less out of place items that way. Even so, my collection is still fairly eclectic!

Best wishes,
David Meashey

#37 ·
The wife bought me an undecorated but DCC w/sound equipped Bachmann 3 truck Shay.

I set up a big loopp of track in the living room and foyer. But now that Christmas is over she wants me to enlarge the loop to cover more of the downstairs. We have 2800 sq. ft downstairs so maybe a reall big loop of track, multi-room is in order. I have mixed LGB brass and the cheap Bachmann hollow track that I received in several Big Hauler train sets.

#40 ·
Posted By Pete Thornton on 12/26/2008 8:47 AM
I told my kids I wanted a couple of books: "Birth of California Narrow Gauge" about the Carter Bros and the economic impact of NG in CA,

You have good kids. I got that for my birthday (from myself). One of the most comprehensive RR books ever written.

#42 ·
Santa was good to me. Stashed under the tree were a Bmn Railtruck, Aristo 4-car DRGW Heavyweight set, and a pair of heavyweight coaches.

If they had been available, there would have been a pair of AML GP60M Warbonnets.

JimC.

#43 ·
Jerry, This was the first Christmas in over 25 years that I didn't get a toy train. But a special item arrived today. (from myself) The December 1972 issue of LGB's "Betribsanleitung" arrived from a German seller. This issue is one of over 24 and should complete my collection of early operating manuals. So life is good!
I'm still looking for some of the later editions. If anyone has some #0024's laying round, check with me!

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.