G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning my outdoor railroad to break ground next spring. I have been involved in the hobby for 20+ years but all my experience is with indoor large scale layouts. It’s time to decide what switch machines to use for the turnouts that I can‘t reach. My dad has used Del-Air pneumatics for years on his indoor layout. He has about 30 turnouts. I suspect they are the way to go outdoors but I’m curious if anyone has had success with any other machines outside. Is there any other reliable option.

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
I'm all pneumatic, the most reliable and trouble free.

One of the best decisions I made, along with stainless rail and track power.

Greg

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use Cobolt Omega motors. I have had to modify them slightly and make DIY wire arms out of 2mm silver steel rod. The motor is quite capable of moving the cast brass wing and fly rail - however the supplied spring steel wire arm simply bends like rubber...

The mod takes a couple of minutes. Drill a 2.5mm hole in the pivot plate and a 2mm hole in the moving block. As a safety tip I use a cut length of silicone pipe over the 2mm wire - it makes it easier to see at a distance.

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm also interested in seeing what folks prefer for motors. I have been trying to decide what motors I will offer with the Llagas code 332 turnouts when they eventually become available. I figured I'd offer them standard with a manual ground throw, with a few add-on or "upgrade" options with various motors and probably an air piston option too from Clippard so that people can decide what is best for them.

I personally have had experience with the basic LGB 12010's and Masterline WA2 motors offered by Train Li. I do like the slow movement of the WA2 motor, as it is pretty realistic but it makes a gear whirring noise that isn't all that nice to listen to and the arm it comes with seems like it would be prone to break after a while. The LGB motor is pretty durable, and moves the points with a swift action, just like pneumatics. The LGB machines hold up outside and are easily obtained if you need replacements.

From my experience so far I prefer manual ground throws, like the Tenmille ground throw, for elevated layouts/live steam layouts where you aren't bending down a bunch to move points. For ground level layouts and layouts with hard to reach turnouts, I'd go with pneumatics.

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that was a nice option on the original Del-Aire stuff. The speed control screwed right into the air toggle.

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
yeah, but I think they were adjustable and somewhat expensive. You can find fixed orifice goodies that connect into the air line. In any case, I went for reliability, consistent force, no adjustments, and impervious to water. 15 years later still a great decision for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah, but I think they were adjustable and somewhat expensive. You can find fixed orifice goodies that connect into the air line. In any case, I went for reliability, consistent force, no adjustments, and impervious to water. 15 years later still a great decision for me.
Can you share who’s equipment you used? Maybe it’s on your site?

·
Super Modulator
21,340 Posts
I'm working on a 3d design to accomodate the clippard parts, both a system with the cylinder at right angles to the track, and one with parallel, to better work with double track. Need to have microswitch to power frogs also.

Will keep you informed, as the existing designs can be improved.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts