G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading an article in GR that used black plastic currigated drainage pipe for a tunnel...? It showed that you can tie a rope through it to form corners etc...
What size pipe do I get?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Big enough for the train to go through. :)

I would say at least 14 inch to give plenty of clearance, although I have seen 12" used. It was a little tight. You lose some with the roadbed and of course with the curvature.
Depends on your scale, also. You'll likely need bigger pipe for 1:20.3 than with 1:32.

Do you remember what issue of GR? I'd like to look at the rope idea.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I use 12" for my 1/29 stuff. For a straight tunnel the track can first be attached to a piece of composite decking which is very stable. It is easy then to slide the track into place . I like to use rail clamps on these sections just in case it needs to be removed for maintenance. It also is a good idea to drill several draimage holes in the bottom. Last I saw the 12" was about $7.00 a foot. The ease of building a tunnel this way makes it well worth it. For tunnel portals I made a couple forms and cast them in concrete at the workbench,then fit them into place with a motar mix.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael... I could not find the issue but here is the idea. Run a rope through the pipe, Curve the pipe and tie the outside ends together. The tighter you draw the rope the tighter curve you get. Then place it where you want and cover it up with dirt. The rope only helps maintain the curve until it's buried.

Composite decking is great idea...What type of base can I use if it's curved?
Not sure about drainage holes, I am afraid they may become import holes for water....?
Maybe pockets should be dug below the drainage holes and filled with loose gravel to help with the drainage?

thanks a bunch guys!

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I do put some gravel beneath the pipe to allow for drainage. I have never had a problem and I live in the rainy northwest.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Good Morning All,

Before giving your $$ to a big box store get a price from a supply house. On the west coast I like Ferguson inc. I think they are national company. I find them to be less expensive. And given the current state of affairs they seam happy to sell anything.

Phillip 

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.