G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size pin nailer do I need for assembling wooden structures for my G scale layout? I see one at Harbor Freight that is 23 gauge for $27.99. Is this suitable or is the gauge too big? Thanks for any help on this. Jim

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm not aware of any gauge for "pin nailers" other than 23. I have a Grex nailer that has worked very well for me over the years. While I have never had a nail jam in my gun I have read that some users of the HF nailers experience jams in theirs. But, there is obviously a price difference between the two.

I've used mine on a number of projects. Depending on what you are building the nails are often virtually unnoticeable,

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have an Arrow ET 200 that I picked up at either Home Depot or Lowes. I used it to assemble my trestle. It takes 5/8" up to 1 1/4" brad nails although the 1" and up is pushing it a bit depending on the hardness of what you are nailing into.

·
Registered
580 Posts
To my knowledge and experience it is only the 23 gauge that is referred to as a "pin nailer". The 18 gauge are "brad nailers" and 15-16 gauge are "finish nailers". Obviously this excludes flooring nailers/staplers, framing nailers or specialty nailers such as those for concrete.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
What size pin nailer do I need for assembling wooden structures for my G scale layout? I see one at Harbor Freight that is 23 gauge for $27.99. Is this suitable or is the gauge too big? Thanks for any help on this. Jim
I use the Harbor Freight 23 gauge pin nailer. ("Banks" branded). It has always worked perfectly, never a
mis-fire or jam that I can recall. I built this trestle with Titebond 3 glue and the pin nailer. It is solid as a
rock three years later. The 18 gauge brad nailer caused many of the trestle bents to split.
Plant Tree Landscape Stone wall Soil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider using stainless steel pins. Steel and copper will rust and cause black spots in your project. Available on Amazon and other sites in 23 gauge. I still have an old HF that works fine but the size lever broke during a jam. I just deal with it. No worse than my newer ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts