G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bachmann have brought out the 2-8-0, K-27 and soon the 2-8-8-2 saddle tank mallet, three locos which seem to fit and look right together.

What would people like to see produced next of a similar style locomotive under $1000?

An idea that comes to my mine would be a C-19 or maybe a Colorado & Southern 2-6-0. I know these have been produced in one form or another but its either not 1:20.3 or brass and well over $1000.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By steam5 on 12/02/2008 9:00 PM
Bachmann have brought out the 2-8-0, K-27 and soon the 2-8-8-2 saddle tank mallet, three locos which seem to fit and look right together.

What would people like to see produced next of a similar style locomotive under $1000?

An idea that comes to my mine would be a C-19 or maybe a Colorado & Southern 2-6-0. I know these have been produced in one form or another but its either not 1:20.3 or brass and well over $1000.

That's a 2-6-6-2, and what I would like to see is something that doesn't need any tinkering or electronics removal.
I just opened a C-21 in 1:20 by another manufacturer, and there is this neat little row of WELL MARKED SCREW TERMINALS.

Geez. Here the official/unofficial spokesperson said no manufacturer would do that.
Amazing.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Sumpter Valley Mallet or SV #19 or perhaps a Columbia?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree, I would also like to see either a C-19 or a C&S#9. Both would be excellent additions on my railway. Either would fill the gap we currently have.

It would also be nice to see another manufacturer produce products in the 1:20.3 market.

All of this would assume we can find a way to grow our hobby and introduce new modelers into our fold.

Stan
http://www.tttrains.com/largescale/

* typo that Dave pointed out corrected

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By up9018 on 12/02/2008 9:40 PM
I agree with the C-19, I would also like to see an outside framed Forney

Ditto that - the LGB Sandy River Forney is not bad, just a mite too toy-like for my taste, but then I can that as I have one. If there was a Bachmann Fn3 version with all the missing twiddly bits left off the LGB version for sure I`d put one on MY wish list.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
As the EBT had a C-19, that would seem like a no-brainer to me! And it's a lot easier to convert a plastic D&RGW C-19 to the EBT #7 than messing with the Accucraft steel and brass loco, something I briefly contemplated recently.  

A decent Forney or Mason Bogie would be nice.   But the SR&RL was 2' gauge, which mght explain why we don't have too many models.  Maybe it's time for a manufacturer to jump in to the 7/8n2 scale/gauge?  A big Forney would be way cool. 

Having done a K-27, the White Pass or EBT inside frame Mikado would make a fine addition to anyone's railroad. 

How about a properly-scaled Fn3 4-6-0; lots of them existed on many different railroads. 

·
Registered
688 Posts
EBT Mike

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Uintah 0-6-2 would be my choice, or a Pinoles 0-4-4-0 mining Mallet, and both could be done for under Mikes $400 cap.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Posted By StanleyAmes on 12/03/2008 6:07 AM

It would also be nice to see another manufacturer profice products in the 1:20.3 market.

Stan

Ah, a new "secret term".
Just when you think it's safe to get into the fray, some new term comes along.

"Profice"

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave - You’re right a 2-6-6-2 I must have had a brain fade!

I stated $1000 because it sounded like a good number and it covered all the popular plastic US steam locos I could think of.

Should I need to pay $1000 for the next 1:20.3 plastic steamer? The short answer is I don’t think so.

Most suggestions are locos I would purchase! I’m not very imaginative when it comes to narrow gauge locos as my main game is 1948 Union Pacific in HO, so it’s interesting to see what others want.

A prototypical White Pass loco would be great! For me if a nice 4-6-0, 2-6-0, 2-8-2… that’s a similar era to the K-27 I would be happy.

Unfortunately the 2-6-6-2 does not really appeal to me. I’m interested to watch the manufactures to see what next down the production line!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
A CB&Q 4-8-4 Northern. I think it can be done for under $500.00 because I would have Ray put the MTH DCS system in it so I can put the proper Sound file in it.
Cliff

·
Registered
350 Posts
A Northern in 1:20.3????????? Zowie that would be a biggun and it would need wider track than regular "G" scale

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Quite honestly, I'd be happy with a smaller locomotive like a C-16 in 1:20.3! The C&S 2-8-0's are about this size as well. The trend has been to larger and larger locomotives but it might be time to start looking at the smaller ones again. Accucraft's C&S #60 was a real looker (not so great a runner though) and I would love to see Bachmann take a crack at it! I also would love to see Bachmann do the C-16 as it would be small enough to navigate 5' dia. curves which would allow it to run on most people's railroads. I know Aristo has just brought out their "new and improved" version but it's 1:24 and the only one which is accurate is the old-time wood burning D&RG version.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hands down the East Broad Top Mikado. We have seen alot of western locos manufactured and I think we should see a few eatern prototypes modeled. I think the EBT mikado would be a big hit amungst alot of modelers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts