G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Regner makes the Lumberjack geared logging type loco, the smaller Accucraft 2 cylinder Shays might go around 6 foot diameter curves, but 10 is much better. You cannot go wrong with anything from Roundhouse Engineering, their Davenport has a USA look to it, great for mining or industrial railway.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You can also order direct from Roundhouse and many times they have extra models on the shelf for purchase right away. Otherwise you wait for the next batch to be made, which could be 12 to 16 months away. Roundhouse also does Sammie, a USA style saddle tank model in the basic range, which are made to order, about a 4-6 week wait from point of purchase. I got my Roundhouse Billy direct from RH with factory RC and a few other minor cosmetic upgrades they offer. It fits in well with my LGB European meter gauge stuff and runs flawlessly. Most small side rod steamers can be a bit "skittish" with little or no load to pull. Having RC control helps temper this and for me, is well worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Mimi will work just fine, and there is usually someone on ebay that offers a bracket to mount servos in the cab for RC, the tender can carry the batteries.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yes it is and will have the earlier smaller cylinder bores unless its been upgraded. The Mimi came early on in the evolution of the "Ruby" series of engines that use that power chassis. Not a bad entry level engine, a RH Sammie is better IMHO. But in the end its the buyers money and taste in engines. Accucraft also did the Disney Fort Wilderness 2-4-2T model with that same chassis. That one is a bit collectable, expensive and hard to come by. But a really nice model none the less. To "tame" a Ruby, a nice heavy train or RC control is really required

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yes it is, they made the cars as well, all very expensive when they pop up for sale. With some custom painting, one can transform some of the other Accucraft steamer into other Disney locomotives since they have offered 4-4-0 ad 4-6-0 narrow gauge live steamers, but those need 10 foot curves or larger to run well. Pretty much any of the Colorado narrow gauge engines can be had in live steam between Accucraft and Aster brands. Beautiful models, the C25 can even be had with coal fired boiler right from the factory.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Frank S is German, ex WWII war dept locomotive that was unused in the war, found after the war by the Russians and put in service rebuilding eastern Germany. Engine is still in operation pulling passengers today. Excellent beginners model, make to use proper steam cylinder oil and NOT motor oil as suggested in the models original instruction manual. It will easily go around R1 curves, is set up to easily add single channel RC control and shows how in the instructions. Gas tank is in the tender and you must put warm water in the tank to keep gas pressure up. Has a large window in the backhead of the boiler to keep an eye on water level. Frank has the deep flanges like all LGB equipment, so it does well staying on the track, going thru tight R1 curves and switches.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
While I no longer have a Frank S, here is a video of the last one I owned running on my railway. I think the RH Billy is a much better model running wise, but that comes at a much higher price. Here is the video.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Here is my Roundhouse Billy, which is a model of a Orienstien and Koppel engine, exported all over the world, even to America. Many still run all over the world, both in preservation and in revenue service in 3rd world countries.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Look at the palm size transmitters from RCS, made in Australia and has an awsome website. I dislike a twin stick transmitter for a train. Coming from the smaller scales, the palm size transmitter with its knobs is much easier for me to keep a consistant slow speed with the throttle over the stick style radio. His tx works with any DSM2/DSMX receiver, I happen to use Spectrum brand as I can source them locally from the RC hobby shop.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
For most engines, the TX1 is really all you need. Email Tony W, who runs RCS, very nice chap to chat with and he can help you choose exactly what you need.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
He was just saying, get the Tx3 or 5 with the extra channels so you have room for future growth as you could possible own a even nicer engine that needs more RC channels for functions in the future. You can use 1 transmitter for several engines. I use my one TX1 to run 2 different live steamers and 4 different battery electric locomotives(just not at same time, just one at a time). Its nice to not need a seperate RC transmitter for each locomotive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts