G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I'm in narrow gauge so I wouldn't be a potential market for anything standard gauge. If I were however the most useful car to me is the boxcar as the railroads had many times more of them than any other kind although individual railroads such as coal or ore haulers for example would have lower ratios of them. In light of that and of what is currently available and because I like the steam era my first choice would be a steel frame outside braced 40 foot wooden boxcar. These would add variety to a typical freight train and were in wide use well into the sixties. I used to see some even as late as 1965 when I was photographing SP and WP diesels.

Another very useful and widely used car was the GS drop bottom gondola. These all steel cars also spanned the gap between steam and diesel and were especially interesting as to looks and details. In later years many were given wooden extension boards and used to haul sugar beets on the SP.

There was also an earlier similar car that was wood and outside braced with large trusslike framing members on its sides. These were mostly gone I believe by WWII.

· Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I was unaware of the pending Ozark kits. Very perceptive choices! ;)

If you can find any around or their plans try a search for some old HO kits by Silver Streak. Not made for many years I'm sure, they were mostly wooden kits with lots of white metal castings for "steel" underframes, brake wheels, etc., and would make ideal candidates for upscaling to 1:32 either as production kits or for scratchbuilding. They had most types of railroad cars in their line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.