G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this someplace, but what car do you want anyone or a company to produce that you can buy??

At this moment for me ,other than some of Burl Rice creations, I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well, I'm not a 'number 1 fan' of Aristocraft but I was very, very interested in those cylindrical hoppers they had plans for about 4 years ago. They weren't nearly correct for Canadian grain hoppers but they were better than what's out there now. I would have picked up five or six anyway.

Seems Lewis doesn't feel he can sell the required 2000. Can't believe that. Just keep doing road names. It sure must work for an 80 year old 40 foot boxcar. :rolleyes:

Dave

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Working in the coal mines of West Virginia back in the 70s to mid 80s, all I remember were 2 bay hoppers with a big B&O painted on the sides. Aristo Craft is bringing out a line of two bay hoppers, but like so many other companies, their hopper will have Baltimore & Ohio on the sides. I don't ever remember seeing a two bay hopper with Baltimore & Ohio spelled out. So, someone please make a two bay hopper in black with large white B&O lettering.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
RE: What is your 1:29th scale next "dream car"

I have a B50-14 boxcar complete with T-Section Bettendorf trucks in 1/29. It is even more detailed than the 1/32 one. Anybody interested in a kit?

John

G

·
0 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 08/01/2008 6:31 PM
I read this someplace, but what car do you want anyone or a company to produce that you can buy??
At this moment for me ,other than some of Burl Rice creations, I have no idea.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you had to get me goin???????? Well here we go, i would like some 65 ft mill gondolas, im tierd of payin 150.00 to have them made!!!!aaaaaa some modern high cube box cars, 40 50 and 60ft ers........maybe some modern FLATCARS TTX and alike,some shorty tanks cars,by the way USA has in the works....:rolleyes:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gifhow about some modern coil cars, aren't they 40 or 50 foooters.. they should be easy to make.........WAKE UP MANUFACTURES, make what we want, and make it NOW please/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif ooooooooooooooo im so polite it cracks me up... oooo yaa tonight is friday!!!!!! drinking night ..... buy /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif
Nick....

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
How about a "NE" style caboose, or maybe some 2-bay external ribbed
fishbelly hoppers, even a straight silled one would be OK... Most of
all paint them up in steam era schemes...
Paul R...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts

I'm with Nick - a 65' mill gon would be Grande. Bill's idea for an accurate center spine car is good, too. How about a fully enclosed W&K bi-level auto rack? And my biggest dream - a drop bottom GS gondola.

Cheers,
Matt
M.P. 294 on the Rio Grande's Baldwin Branch

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Matt
do you have a photo of GS gon??? I don't think I have heard of it.

G

·
0 Posts
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

Hum, let's see....I'd like a modern auto carrier, a coil car, a cylindrical grain hopper, an sent nuclear fuel transport car, and a track laying/maintenance/ballasting car.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts

89' enclosed autorack! This would give you some large flatcars as well! And some hicubes...

-Ray

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 08/02/2008 9:30 AM
Matt
do you have a photo of GS gon??? I don't think I have heard of it.

Marty,
There's a photo of a protoype in SP livery at this HO manufacturer's link
http://www.ulrichmodels.com/UlrichG-50.asp

Many other railroads had these cars but the SP ones were the best known and probably most numerous in the west. Besides bulk coomodities that could be dumped they hauled lots of scrap metal for steel mills. I used to see them all dented and beat up in the Judson Steel yard in Oakland, California. By the 1960's (maybe before also) many were given wooden sideboards for sugar beet hauling.

Errata: Actually here and I suspect properly the gon is classed as a G-50. On the SP I used to hear them referred to all the time as simply GS gons. GS = General Service. This may be wrong as there is also a GS flat bottom gondola of about the same dimensions. I'll leave the particulars for others to sort out if they are so inclined.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts

Figures, can't get the older pictures to show... But, I did manage to copy over some new pics...
Ray, you mean, cars like these two????

Andy

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

I'm with Bruce on the coil car...

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks Richard
no wonder I have not heard of it.
I have photos of coil cars, not sure which one I will try this winter. I do have a side dump car in HO and the basic parts started. But then it got warm.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts

Any new car larger than the old 40 ft would do. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

Hehe. I model the 30's, so I like the older 40 ft cars:D

·
Registered
53 Posts

Coil cars, modern scale flats, modern scale Gondolas, and double Decker passenger cars.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts