G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
RE: What is your 1:20 scale "dream car"

My "dream" 1:20 car would be a 1957 XK140MC, drophead or roadster.
Why do you ask?

Now, if it was something that only ran on rails, well, a gondola big and long enough to hold all these Ames Super Sockets would be nice.

But, then, I'd probably need a string of them, especially after the Liver-Spot comes out.

That's where Bile comes from, right?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

We know.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Posted By John McGuyer on 08/02/2008 11:08 PM
Curmudgeon
If you are going to dream of old Jag-u-ar automobiles, why not go for broke with a XKSS or a long nosed, finned D-Type?
John

Because, the "dream" is the XK140MC.
Until then, I have this 1964 MK2 RHD 2.4L, which is pretty amazing:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Oh, and I have a die-cast, BRG, RHD, 3.4L or 3.8L version of this car in 1:20.......

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

43 years I've wanted a Jag.
Now I have one.
This is what I do with the creative efforts I used to expend on Philly products, but without the headaches.
That's also why I still have and drive the flatheads.

When one has to wait a week for a master cylinder kit, one learns.....fast.

Haven't had to bypass the lighting yet.
Nor change the gearing.
No loose screws.
No 3-strand wires.
No Super Sockets to yank.
No Prima Donnas (well, I go to my first Concours this Saturday, and there might be).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Oh, wait.

This one doesn't go to the shop.

I spent enough years repairing Limey Limos in shops, I can do almost all of it right here.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Just so folks know (this was discussed on another forum, but not on MLS), the car is from Singapore.
Those are the plates that were on the car when it went on the cargo ship in December of 1982.
In the glovebox is the Singapore registration book, looks like a dark red passport, matching numbers.
When the Dutch Diplomat sold it to my friend in the mid-70's while they were both in Singapore, the Diplomatic plates came off, went in the boot (still have them), and the "officials" crossed out (one line) the plate numbers in the book, added the new number, placed their gummint stamp on top of the change, and signed it.

Car originally out of the UK, or so I am told, taken to Singapore on assignment by said diplomat, sold when he was being transfered to his next assignment, as he wasn't going to take a 10-year-old British vehicle to his next assignment.

Funny, guess I never had paid much attention, but the plates are different front and rear from Singapore.
Numbers same, but the rear is almost square, reflective yellow, same black letters.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Sure, they take some maintenance.
Especially when they've had 25 years of gas station maintenance!
But parts are available.

One local GR-type from Oz keeps after me to convert it to LHD.
Says I'll get "confused" and try to go around a traffic circle the wrong way some day.

Well, since I did not learn to drive in a country where you went around them that way, nothing to "revert" to, is there?

It is a hoot with RHD.

Especially when you're the only one in the vehicle.
Always wondered what would happen if I got pulled over by The Fuzz with my wife in the LF seat.
Would he approach her for driver's license and such?

Wondered, too, if I took the Washington plates off, and stuck the Singapore Diplomatic Plates on it.......

Gotta get a stiffer reverse lockout spring for the reverse gate in the Moss Box, however.
Too asy to grab "back-up" at a stoplight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts