G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,143 Posts
These guys have it all correct. I should really have been more specific so I did not confuse things Jerry.

Virtually all meters that read AC (as in alternating current) must be RMS, that's the standard way of measuring AC, rather than peak. It's a better way to really measure the real energy since it is changing constantly.

When I said "true rms", what I should have really said "I have an AC voltmeter that will accurately read the RMS voltage of the DCC waveform, which your ordinary Radio Shack (for example) will not since it reads RMS only at 60 Hz"

But that was way too much typing, so I cheaped out !!!

Regards, Greg

oh, the 24v regulated supply can be used for anything, it would be a good source for a DCC system.

·
Super Modulator
22,143 Posts
Yep, absolutely, an even more difficult wave to measure. The cool thing about DCC is since it's a square wave, it does not need a lot of filtering (like big electrolytic caps) to smooth out the sinusoidal curves... but of course that's one of the reasons they designed it that way.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,143 Posts
I'll give this one final piece of advice, if you get into a situation where you do need a good amp meter, then it's worth buying this, because it measures volts and amps, DC and AC, and it will read a lot of amps...

Regards, Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.