G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the items which were stolen was a collection of rare NG RR-ing books.
Apart from the known titles such as Denver South Park & Pacific Memorial Edition by M. C. Poor, there was a book twice as large in format. I have never before seen the book and I kept it in the original cardboard box still wrapped by the seller (who since passed away) - hence I do not even remember the title of the book. It was likely a very rare book of not many printed. It was definitely on the subject of narrow gauge, most likely Rocky Mountains/Colorado.
Does anyone of you recall such a book? It was most likely printed in the 50's or 60s.
Many thanks, Zubi

·
Registered
21 Posts
Zubi,
Could it have been Otto Perry's "Railroad Pilgrimage"? The book was printed in 11 by 17-inch format. A collection of photos of his work across the Western United States, with a whole section of the book devoted to Colorado railroads.
Charles M

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charles, Thank you for the info (sadly it was not this book). The book was in vertical format, almost A3 in size. Devoted entirely to Narrow Gauge somewhere in the Rockies - I no longer recall whether it was about a specific line or region but definitely entirely about narrow gauge. Kind regards, Zubi

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RkyGriz, thank you for these ideas. The book was hardbound and in addition it was in a protective cardboard sleeve/box. So definitely not Narrow Gauge Country, the second one you listed. But I was myself thinking about Lucius Beebe Narrow Gauge in the Rockies. Still, not large enough, and Narrow Gauge in the Rockies is quite a popular volume with many reprints if I am correct. I am really talking about a unique book edition - unless I imagined it all... (well the robbery was a nightmare, I wish I could forget it, but in order to forget, I am trying to restore a part of my collection - most recently contacted Iwate - a producer of beautiful Japanese iron teapots. The lid was lost on mine, but the teapot remained, even with a paper label! So I traced it to Iwate factory, it is no longer in production but they agreed to send a lid in the right colour. Step by step, I have been doing what I can. Kind regards, Zubi

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm so sorry about what happened.
I was hoping to be able help with your search.
Please let us know if you either find it ,or remember the title as it's entirely possible that someone on this forum may have a copy and be willing to sell it to you. I hope you find another copy!
Take care and the best of luck!
Your friend,
Andrew

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had a very simple idea which turned effective, I scanned my computer for 'colorado' and I instantly recovered a list which Peter Clark sent to me. This contains most of the books which he had for sale and some of which I bought. I certainly bought 'Denver South Park & Pacific (Pictorial Supplement)' and 'Denver South Park & Pacific' and perhaps 'Georgetown and the Loop' - but these are all large but standard size books. Whether the special book is listed here I simply do not know. I looked at the titles but this did not help - it is like complete amnesia around this issue... Anyway, I attach the list, Zubi

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
How about "William Henry Jackson's ROCKY MOUNTAIN RAILROAD ALBUM?" The size is about 18" x 25" made up in a very large one picture per page format.
I have the book that I purchased probably 20 years ago for about $350. Published by Sundance Publications in 1976. 3000 were published.
Dan

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan, YES!!!!! This was the book, it is not listed in the pdf simply because I this was the first book which I bought from Peter - Dr Clark!! And this this is not a common book - sadly I have not even been able to unpack... Sadly I never took it to Tokyo as it was simply too large for my luggage - if I took it there it would have been safe... Many many thanks for your 100% hit and thank again to Andrew - I was hesitant about Narrow Gauge in the Rockies first edition (950 copies printed) since it does come in a slipcase but thanks to Dan I identified the actual correspondence with Dr Clark I attach it below (I hope Peter will not find it - he would be so sad about the whole story). But now I may be able to find a copy of this book, I tried to recall what this book actually was for a couple of years now - I practically gave up hope - the book is so highly special plus I really have partial memory loss around the entire issue. Many, many thanks dear Friends - MLS once again proved to be a most fantastic help but only thanks to those who are so helpful here!! Zubi

Re: bavents sent a message about WM HENRY JACKSON'S ROCKY MOUNTAIN RAILROAD ALBUM #331679916944

Hello Zbigniew,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I am happy that the book has found a good home. I am an retired doctor aged 84 with a big collection of US Narrow Gauge stuff. I decided to thin out some of my books before my family could throw them in the trash. The Colorado stuff is going first but the California/Nevado ones are staying as they fit in with my model railroad. There were about 130 Colorado titles, including a lot of the rare ones. Is there anything that you might be trying to find? If so let me know. Do you have my email address that should be in the PayPal notification, otherwise this can be a problem with Ebay filters.
Regards.
Peter

Subject: Re: bavents sent a message about WM HENRY JACKSON'S ROCKY MOUNTAIN RAILROAD ALBUM #331679916944
Sent Date: Oct-21-15 20:06:10 PDT

Dear Peter,
Thank you very much for the kind words and for packing the book so well.
It is still on the way and should arrive soon.
It will remain packed until it reaches Tokyo in a couple of weeks, only then
I will carefully unpack it.
I have a large collection of books on US narrow gauge but this will become
the pride of the collection without any doubt!
I am looking forward to the book and I am happy that I could buy it from you.
With kind regards and best wishes,
Zbigniew

Subject: bavents sent a message about WM HENRY JACKSON'S ROCKY MOUNTAIN RAILROAD ALBUM #331679916944
Sent Date: Oct-21-15 19:04:00 PDT

Dear zbis,

Your book is on its way. Please be very careful when opening the package. It is packed in a box made of rigid foam. This is inside a cardboard box. Do not use a knive to open the box, just tear off the tapes and then slide out the foam box. I tried to send this message earlier but I had a computer problem.
Enjoy this gem.
Peter

WM HENRY JACKSON'S ROCKY MOUNTAIN RAILROAD ALBUM
Item Id: 331679916944
End time: Oct-19-15 12:06:36 PDT
Seller:
bavents (1114)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since May-21-00 in United Kingdom
Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew, yes, this is the book. I will certainly get one as some stage, this one is indeed not expensive, The seller is not responding though... Anyway, now I know what the book actually was I will find one to replace it (along with other ones which I lost). Many thanks and kind regards, Zubi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts