G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy another engine, have 1950 to spend shipped to my door. Anybody have anything Aster to sell in that range? My interests vary, so no telling what might spark my fancy. I would love another 2 truck Shay, Pannier, ect. What do you have?

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know what Aster was thinking in that gas tank design, talk about over complicating things with that set up. I though you were modifying it to be top feeding like a normal tank we see today? I think I am going to get my old Schools back off my local friend, which will help him pay for the DJB coal fired kit he has on order. Helps us each out. I do need to find 3 more of those vintage Aster Southern coaches for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Unless you get lucky at an estate sale, where they don't know what they're selling, any Aster for that kind of money will likely have issues and/or lot's of miles on the clock.

You'd probably be far better off spending another thousand and getting something half decent.

·
Premium Member
6,894 Posts
an estate sale, where they don't know what they're selling, any Aster for that kind of money will likely have issues and/or lot's of miles on the clock.
Pessimist. I got mine for around $1K from an estate, but the sale was supervised by a knowledgeable steam guy. It had been sitting on the shelf for many years, where it collected dust and the brass tarnished, but there was nothing functionally wrong with it.

I think you have to consider how old they are now. The Reno was an early Aster, (1980+?) and wouldn't handle tight curves, so while it looks pretty (once cleaned and polished) it has limited appeal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts