G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Les, best thing is to jump in and do it. If you're lacking confidence, or your skills are rusty, then start with a smaller project that you won't cry if you make a mistake on....

See the woodshed in this pic? It was my first real "scratchbuild". A Sunday afternoon (at work, between customers.... shhhhh! Don't tell, nothing like getting paid to do train stuff, lol) , a few dowels, 3 leftover plastic window frames, a plastic roof, and a bunch of coffee stirrers Kim lifted from the local coffee bar. Total cash outlay about $3. If I had mangled it I'd have simply salvaged the plastic, tossed the rest and started over. The saw rig was next, and it was actually easier (less boring anyway) than cutting up all those twigs for the woodpile

Another thing is I use either Welder (which I prefer) or E-6000 to glue just about everything. It stays flexible for a good while, so if I really mangle something I can usually (gently) pry it apart and scrape the glue off to try again, even the next day.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
You must be a mind-reader. While I was outside catching up on yard work, I kept thinking, "A trackside building out of coffee stirrers ought to get you started." I saw the woodshed before, and I could use several, since at least some of my engines will be woodburners.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Mik on 03/16/2009 2:18 PM
Les, best thing is to jump in and do it. If you're lacking confidence, or your skills are rusty, then start with a smaller project that you won't cry if you make a mistake on....

...snip...

There is NO project small enough that I DO not cry about WHEN I make a mistake on it...

The major problem with ALL my projects is that I can afford just enough raw material to make ONE of each of the piece parts of the whole such that if I ruin just ONE of them, then the whole project is down the tubes until or unless I can replace that one piece of raw material.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 03/16/2009 3:39 PM

There is NO project small enough that I DO not cry about WHEN I make a mistake on it...

The major problem with ALL my projects is that I can afford just enough raw material to make ONE of each of the piece parts of the whole such that if I ruin just ONE of them, then the whole project is down the tubes until or unless I can replace that one piece of raw material.

That's part of the beauty of coffee stirrers. If you convince your caffeine addict buddies to help you by liberating an extra half dozen or so for you every time they buy a cup of coffee, you'll soon have a drawerful of the things. If you MUST actually buy them, then $2 will usually get you a big fist full... They scale out to between about 5 and 7 inches wide, and you can cut them with sprue nippers.

My material problem is usually opposite... they only sell stuff I need 2" of in 2 foot lengths ...Unless it's a detail casting, then I realize I need it about 20 minutes after I get the email that my order has been shipped... Or it's brass strip, then NOBODY local carries it anymore. (even brass rod is getting harder to find)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
coming together at last!...

Remember how I said that if you don't like how something turns out to not be afraid to rip it out and do it over? Well, one of the most (to my mind) distinctive features of the Falk is that honking HUGE crank disc on the gypsy winch engine. The smaller gear I had made me initially go with a 1" disc. It just didn't look right, but I didn't have a larger gear to allow a bigger disc to clear the winding shaft either. What to do? What to do? Then I realized that while I didn't have a big gear, I had a couple more medium sized ones.. so why not make the space I needed with an intermediate gear? While I was at it I fabricated a new winch frame as well... The way I figure it, all I'm really out is half an hour and a few cents worth of basswood. I think the result is much cleaner.

And the crank disc? a 1-1/2" turned wood disc from Michael's looks just about "right"

While I was fixing things that annoyed me I also lengthened the throttle lever by 1/2", using some leftover white metal from another one that I cut up for the c-16 project, plus a thin plastic strip glued behind to strengthen it. Once it is painted it should look fine.

The backhead looks rather empty compared to larger and more modern locos. All that is there is the firedoor, blower valve, oil can tray, water column, pressure gauge and two trycocks. But I don't believe in adding stuff that has no other purpose than making it look busy. (in a word, "Justify!") I did glue a 1/4" washer (3c) to the end of the homemade wood cylinder to look like a cast cylinder head, it should also have 6 nut castings, but I'm not certain how visible it will be with the cab roof and bunker on.

Next I need to build the rear buffer and coupler mount, then mount the bunker. I'm still waiting for suggestions on a rechargeable battery pack (4.5 or 6volt) The guys at Radio Scrap are almost totally useless if the application isn't in their books

Edit: for Les, and other beginners, I hope it's readable

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
That looks fine to me. I'm still trying to think of how to make bolt & studs for cylinders. I don't want to buy any. The winch looks good, is it intended to operate? Not only is Radio Snack useless for tech help, my local one wouldn't let me use the bathroom.

Les

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Les, since the gears are white metal (VERY soft) I glued everything tight rather than risk bending the gears or stripping the teeth. If I had used nylon or brass gears I probably would have made it able to turn. Ozark's nut bolt washer castings are fairly cheap... if you need enough other stuff to justify an order, or your LHS stocks them... otherwise??? square nut could probably make from basswood with wire for the bolt, but I don't know how many I'd have the patience to sit and make (about 5?)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Mik,

Hey, somehow I missed the very last pic w. the labels. I dunno how I did that. I sure do appreciate that, though. So, the reverser lever looks like that. I never knew that. I didn't know why site glasses are tilted on some engines but not others until I mentally traced the possible location for the crownsheet. Didn't know two trycocks were permissible. Big time thanks to you for all that extra trouble!

Les

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There are only two trycocks because I ran short of picture nails.... LOL! Just wait till you see how I'm going to jerry rig the battery so I can charge it and the speed control pot

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I didn't have a whole lot of time today, but I still got a lot done.

Wiring, the toy loco originally used 4 C batteries- no room for anything like that here. Best I could fit was a rechargable 9v. Here is my wonderful wiring. The throttle pot only seemed to turn tho motor on or off, so I actually ended up removing it. It seems like it will just sort of just trundle along on the 9v, but run time and pulling power remain to be seen. Who knows? Track power via skates may eventually be in it's future.

A face only a mother could love... I found a filthy piece of surveyor's string at work the other day. A couple hooks and it's a dandy winch rope... and already 'weathered', too.

Side view, showing the bunker installed. I think I've managed to capture the proportions and "feel" of the original critter fairly well, even with all the liberties and compromises I made. The bits of tube in the corners of the bunker are the water fills. This is their proper location, but I think they are actually a little short. Rear footboards and coupler will have to wait until tomorrow. Front cab windows, engineer and wood load will wait until I decide how heavily I'm going to weather it.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Okay, now I know where those things carried the water. Been wondering about that. Few ever bother to mention such small but critical items. Hey, lookin' good, like it's been around the woods awhile.

Les

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
All done but the whistle chain and firewood load. Still thinking about track powering it, though

On Kimmee's shelf with my scratchbuilt log cars. Happy accident that it just fits -

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
It's a good lookin' ol' engine, like it's been around the woods awhile. How much trouble would it be to get a shot of one of those log cars? (Unloaded.)

Going to get the wood for my first part of the train board tomorrow.

My '94 S-10 started hackin' and coughin' a couple of weeks ago when the weather was nasty. Figured 'Hm, spark plugs, about has to be, it stutters under load." Called the friendly dealer. He said, "Oh yeah, $200 to change the plugs--(all 4 of them--)+ $100 to do the diagnostics." I said, "It's the plugs. I'm sure of it. 75K mi & 16 years?" He said, "Diagnostics gets done either way, to be sure. Might not be the spark plugs." I had a set of plugs I picked up at a garage sale, brand new, for 75 cents about ten years ago. They fit that pickup, is why. So I spent half a day doing what I used to do in an hour, and lo, runs great. Going to take the savings to the lumber yard, I yam.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Mik,
Really nice! I went o my local general supply store that supplies the local restaurants and such and they ahd to special order the wooden stirrers but for less than $10 I got 4 boxes I believe? Huge boxes. I'll never need to "appropriate" them now. They had plastic ins tock but wasn't what I was looking for at the time. I may go back and get some though. I drive by the place every day.

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Mic,

What a great pleasure to run the morning mail and find that link. I remember it now. Also, the cars you built are included, so I saved the link into my 'projects' folder. Thank you, I owe you one.

Looking at those spring-loaded coupler pockets, I have to assume there're at least two types of pocket: one with springs, and one w/o. Is that a good assumption?

Thanks again for your efforts in posting, the link, 'n stuff.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Chas,

I can't find a restaurant supply house, but to to go Wallyworld or Michaels, you get charged an arm and a leg for those dumb things. I'm looking, St.L. has got to have one, someplace.

Les

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought some 6v NiCad packs from local RS a while back for $0.27 each (included charger)..yes I said $0.27 each! Nice deal!

23-351

they are not showing on web, but a call to store may deliver some?

cale

Nice Job btw!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here's today's pic with wood load, whistle and bell cords, and... a buddy. Why doesn't any backwoods lokey EVER look "finished" without a dog? Yeah, OK, I know it needs a spark arrestor yet.... fires are bad news when you're in the woods surrounded by burnable stuff.

It's been suggested that two 9volts in parallel might have enough amperage to run this thing (just one is a bust). Since it has 4 traction tires, track powering it may be a problem. I'll think on this some more, finding accessible space for the 2nd 9v will be a challenge.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts