G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Jim,

I have been working on a few different things. Building some DSP&P freight  trucks, started on a Vance Bass 27 ft. boxcar kit, started gathering parts to build a spray booth, a buddy cut some strip wood for 4 flat cars for me and I want to make a jig to build the car frames on.
  I am trying to finish our kitchen, then I will be able to put in more time working on the trains.

chuckger

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Well, you asked.:)

I bumped this forward.  I really had now idea we'd be back up and running as quickly as we were so someone may have missed it.

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50569

I've been rebuilding an Aristo combine.  Pictures to follow - I hope  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  but mostly I've been finishing off the backdrop on that back wall.  Just about done now.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
We moved into our new house in October, I still haven't even unpacked all the trains or buildings yet. I know most of the buildings will need touch ups or complete rebuilds, but that will be my chance to improve them. I do have the workbench set up, so hopefully more productive work will follow.

George

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I still need to put the finishing touches on "Terrapin Station", but it's mostly done.

The current big project is my Sparta Illinois Depot. I've been very busy at work and with assorted projects of a household nature so I've kind of stalled on these projects. I hope to have the Terrapin Station done by months end so I can take it to the Ogden Hostlers train show.

The real Sparta Depot..

Where my project currently stands.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Starting work on about 15 feet of building fronts for Front Street.I'm basically making the buildings about 3" deep so they line the side of the street and but up against the landscape timber in the background. Lots of resin casting and Grandt Line products. Pictures one of these days!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Been working on a grain elevator, messed up the calculations, man the damn thing is HUGE, anyone wanna help me do a can drive so that it can be sided before spring?? gonna take a lot of cans! Instead of a regular elevator, i'm thinking of calling it a regional grain transfer elevator, that's why it so big! lol

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Building a warehouse here too. See my thread in this forum. its 75 inches long by 21 inches deep. 10 truck bays and 3 rail doors for boxcars....its...uhhh big...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just about completed the project in the Jul/Aug NGSL called On30 Flatcar and It's Load of Skid Shacks . I built it in Large Scale (1:20.32 but suitable for 1:22.5) using stripwood,  board by board construction and am detailing the interior. This is for indoors so mother nature is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
here is my list/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Ice cream factory almost done
snow plow
last bridge hopefully will be done this sat.

and already have another list/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

tom h

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well actually the night this site went down I was bored so I went in the basement and found a bag of popsicle sticks and built an outhouse. Its all finished except for the door, I still need to get hinges for the door - so I need this site to crash again so I can finish my outhouse! Joking of course - withdrawl even for one night was tough!.
Its crude, poorly measeured, but thats how it should look so I guess my first scratch built building is a success, not too mention fun. My son (2 years old) "helped", it was funny watching him copy me and make a huge mess.
In fact I think Ill go build a passenger shelter now!!!
I love this hobby!
Matt

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi All,
Here's the station I've been working on for the last month. It's from plans from Garden Texture scaled down to 1:29 scale. I cut the scale lumber fron cedar fence boards donated by a neighbor. The shingles are from beer cans ( a tedious job) but have a good supply of raw material here ;). The subroof is 1/8" acryic window glazing. I made assembly jigs and built the window frames from styrene strips from Plastruct. They look good if you don't get too close. Still have some painting and details to add, but the basic construction is done. Couple of more pix to follow, I haven't figured out how to post multiple pix yet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That really looks great! The "beer can" roof looks super, and should hold up well inside or outside. I really like the effect it adds to the building, looking like it has been there for a while.:)

The windows look great. They sure fit nice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Joe,

Great looking building; a couple questions.

1. What did you use for windows

2. Could you go into a little detail on your beer can roof shingles? I have a lot of soda cans here and would like to see how that's done please?

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Joe....have you any photos of your beer can shingles as you cut them? I'd like to see what they look like as you made them before application to the station.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I plan to build a scaled down version of the famous "Gomez" store that used to be in Pagosa Junction (Gato) Colorado.  The plan is to build it this summer.  So far I have a pretty good idea on how I'm going to build it.  However, a cardboard template is all I've finished so far:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts