G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased two Bachman sprectrum steam engines from Trainworld at the ECLSTS this year. I paid $225 for a 2-8-0 and $225 for a 4-4-0. In my latest issue of Garden RR magazine they advertise the same two engines for over $400 each. WHAT HAPPENED TO THEIR PRICES SINCE MARCH? Is there something going on with Bachmann that I haven't heard about or is their something wrong at Trainworld? They also had the new 2-6-6-2 for around $450 at the show but it is close to $700 in the magazine add. The K27 was around $550 at the show and is now $775 in their ad. Sorry now that I did not buy one of each of them at what now turns out to be a bargain price.

John

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Not necessarily.
MAP may have entered into the equation.
MAP does not apply to POS.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yep I did notice in the current G.R. mag that trainworld had raised the k-27 to $775 from the $699 previously. Guess it's inventory replacement blues, or just the state of the current economy. Ebay has had them from time to time that went for $528-$598 I believe there have been approx. 5-6 of em listed recently. So I can't even afford that let alone $775 or the $695 from another storefront on Ebay. I am trimming down my inventory, and I am going to get it down to 3-4 of my favorite engines, and that will be that, for the rest of my existance however long that will be. The Regal p.s. or until something I like better comes along, and I can either afford it or trade up or down for it.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Posted By Curmudgeon on 05/02/2009 4:59 PM
Not necessarily.

Pray tell, what does MAP & POS translate into?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Actually, many things are going up in price. In fact, the media has begun to report that food prices (much of which is imported nowadays), have started to climb. As this recession deepens things will get very expensive. If we’re lucky, the current situation will stabilize and we’ll just deal with a bit of inflation for a while.

As to the Spectrum series, the price increase is not entirely unexpected. After all, LGB really isn’t there to fill the gap anymore. Besides, these companies are struggling themselves and are just passing the plate along to you.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By Les on 05/02/2009 6:44 PM
Not necessarily.

Minimum Advertised Price.

Point Of Sale.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By Les on 05/02/2009 6:44 PM
Not necessarily.

HEAR... HEAR ... Les...

I am older however these ancronyms kill me in this train world.

In 1867, would not be heard.

gg

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
GG,,YOU was born in 1867??????

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Ya can't believe everything you read.... to see the actual price instead of the MAP, you need to put an item in your cart and go to checkout to see what the online store is charging. Don't have to buy...

It's an expanded; Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. I think it's to help small stores vs, discout dealers.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 05/02/2009 7:46 PM

Well Marty, my joints are sore when I git togeth'r wit my great-great-great-gread-great... ex.

GG

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By Dwight Ennis on 05/02/2009 9:01 PM
No, but TOC was. ;)" align="absmiddle" border="0" />

What is TOC.... ??

Train On Chains?

gg

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Interesting, some of the stuff went up, but others (Porters) did not.

Note the "Thomas" stuff is there.

.....and it looks like the Brawa blow out in Europe is not coming to the States? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
On the K-27, the list price has actually been RAISED since it was first released.
That's probably where the MAP rise has come from.

See?

All you young-uns are smarter than you was this morning.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
POS has an entirely different meaning to me!!!! It has something to do with goods sold, but not the price, do not go there!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I thought we were supposed to use MSRP ? [ Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price ]

TOC is the descendant of that well known recalcitrant, TIC

Nice one Tony.

So I suppose the parent of The Old Curmudgeon was The Infant Curmudgeon ?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Very interesting topic.

I'm glad that NIMBY has yet to be brought up.

gg

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
If you didn't have a business background, POS wouldn't make much sense. Quite a few years ago, there was a lot of activity getting cash registers hooked up to the computer to track sales, and this was dubbed Point of Sales.

Manufacturers have been trying for years to regulate sales prices, getting a lot of grief from discount houses. MAP seems to be the current reincarnation; the business people use acronyms just like 'ordinary' people. ;-)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts