G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Members tab doesn't allow you to find a member (and his/her associated posts.) Is this deliberate or a bug?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Pete

If you look just a bit below the green area at the top of each MLS page you'll find the Forums tool-bar, on the far right you'll find a link labeled "Members" that is how you access the member search function.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
There really isn't a "search" anymore so much as an alphabetical "list." You can choose the first letter of the username, but that's about it. Finding the user then becomes a process of "ranging in" on the correct page number. You also can no longer search via first and/or last name - only username.

This isn't a bug, but rather the way the new (over a year old now) forum software chooses to handle things. I miss the old Member Search feature too, but overall I like the new software better. :)

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought there was a 'members' link on the main menu bar. Maybe I was mistaken - I knew about the 'members' link on the Forums pages.

Incidentally, why are there 2 Forums levels? [E.g. Forums > Forums > Beginner's Forum] Is that another 1st class perk?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
The members search feature will be back and be much better than ever soon.. :) I'm really excited about what's coming down the pipe...

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Pete Thornton on 03/23/2009 8:44 AM
{snip...}[/i] Incidentally, why are there 2 Forums levels? [E.g. Forums > Forums > Beginner's Forum] Is that another 1st class perk?
Pete, Dwight

What I believe Pete is referring to is highlighted (i.e. red rectangle & arrow) in the following image.

The answer:
The first "Forum" on the left refers to (and links to) the "All Forums" web page, where all of the "Forum Groups" are displayed (i.e. News, Forums, On30 Forums, Power & Sound Forums, 1st Class Forums, & Web Site & Forum Help) along with their respective individual forums.

The second "Forum" from the left refers to (and links to) the web page that displays only the forum group labeled "Forums" and includes only its respective individual forums.

Much the same way that the old Snitz forum software did, note you'll only see the double "Forums > Forums >" when you are in one of the individual forums that reside within the forum group labeled "Forums". Additionally, note that just as in the old forum software the "Forum Group" labels on the "All Forums" page are links and if clicked will result in only that group being displayed when the page refreshes.

Regarding that portion of Pete's original question about locating the posted replies of a given user. I find that it's easier to find any reply posted by the desired user then click the individual's User ID (located at the top of the cell in the "Author" column for that particular reply), which will take you directly to that users Forum Profile screen. Where you can click the "View Posts By User[/i]" link to the right of the users post count value, which will retrieve all replies posted by that individual.

Since the above action will retrieve all posted replies by that user by default, which can be quite a few. As depicted in the image below. You can click the "Advanced Search" features button, indicated by the red-headed arrow on the right. Then use the "From" search criteria drop-down list indicated by the red rectangle on the left, to narrow the date range that will be included in the results set that is returned.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
It is just odd that one of the major group names is the same as one of the sub group names... both: "Forums"

Maybe the major name should have been "General Forums", to distinguish it from the "Power and Sound Forums" and "On30 Forums", etc.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
That can easily be changed.. I just the "general forums" was a little.. Well.. generic.. So I never gave it a more descriptive label..

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, TWO Moderators and The Big Cheese answering my minor query! Thanks guys!

Steve - interesting stuff on the Search. That 'down arrow' isn't very big, and in fact it was the problem of finding one post by the user that I needed the search for! (I was actually trying to check the spelling of The Colonel's mls name - livesteam5629.)

Shad: Maybe the outer label could be "All Forum Groups"?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Pete

While the following may be a backhand method of locating & verifying a partially known User ID. Personally I find it less tedious than using the "Members" option on the Forums Tool-bar.
[*] First access the "Private Messages" screen via...

Community menu > Private Messages

[*] After the "Private Messages - Inbox" screen displays, as depicted in the following image.
[*] Click the "Compose Message" link as indicated by the red arrow.
[/list] [/list]

[*] After the "Private Messages - Compose Message" screen displays (see the following image).
[*] Type what you believe to be the full or partial User ID that you are looking for, into the text box labeled "Send To User", as indicated by the red rectangle in the image below.
[*] Next, click the "Find a User" icon, as indicated by the red-headed arrow in the image below.
[/list] [/list]

[*] After the "Find a User" results screen displays.
[*] Look over the "User ID" records returned, indicated by the cyan highlighted table area in the following image (note: there may be more than one page of results returned).

[/list] [*] If the one you're looking for isn't among the ones listed.
[*] You can modify the "search value" within the text box labeled "Name:", indicated by the yellow highlighted area in the image below.
[*] Then click the "Find Members" link, indicated by the red-headed arrow in the image below, and repeat the search with the new search value.
[/list] [/list]

Note: You can also use the individual's real "First" and/or "Last" name(s) for the search value if you happen to know it. Although understand, if there are multiple individuals with the same name(s), then multiple records will be returned, and there is no place provided to display those fields in the returned results set.

Hope the above is found to be of use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts