G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am generally new to G scale railroading. I have just bought an Aristo Pacific but for the life of me cannot find out if it is the old, or new Version! I am not at home now but as soon as I do, I will post pics. I have checked this website http://girr.org/girr/tips/tips2/pacific_tips.html to see, and there are some wild inconsistencies. For starters the Locomotive and tender came in the yellow boxes. The road name is Rio Grande, and the loco does indeed come with the crappy sound system. it uses the magnet system for the whistle and bell which I am not sure is stock on any model. The locomotive has most features of the 2nd generation model, which include, off-center headlight, metal unpainted wheels, and a few more details. There are no switches in the cab though, there is the red flickering firebox, (I think, but it does not work) and all switches are in the tender. It seems very strange that some features are from old and new. I might have a 1/2 model or maybe a 3rd refined model? I have no idea. Also, if anyone knows where I can get the plastic whistle and dummy front coupler, Please say so!

Thanks, Noah

·
Super Modulator
21,149 Posts
gen 1 had smoke, sound, and power pickup from all wheels, including the pilot, trailing truck, and all the tender wheels.

2nd generation no power pickup from pilot and trailing trucks, and had the new prime mover motor block. The Aristo socket was in the boiler

3rd gen has the aristo socket in the tender (I'm pretty sure they made this version)

Greg

·
Registered
818 Posts
Greg, in addition to what you said, with the Aristo socket in the tender, isn't it a 3rd generation if the switches are on the tender??

Ed

·
Super Modulator
21,149 Posts
Yes, Ed, I believe you are correct, but I would look for the socket.

Also first gen had plastic siderods and old style motor block, but a newbie could not tell old motor block from new.. so plastic siderods are a good spotting guide

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts