G Scale Model Train Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm a relative newcomer to large scale, so far my engines and rolling stock are HLW, while the track is Bachmann steel rail (I run my trains indoors) and an MRC transformer.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I think it really depends on your preferences and environment.

My layouts include most brands but for different reasons.

Most are LGB because my layouts are unheated, uncooled and at times damp. IMHO LGB is the most weather proof. I like their track, turnouts, power supplies and durability plus lack of tiny parts to break, fall off and get lost. Add to this LGB will run on any curves I have.

Next are Aristo. I like their stainless track, Revolution, and cost/value of their rolling stock.

USA would be next with extremes from their Big Boy, Hudson, Streamliners to their plastic rolling stock. Their better details for me often result in lost small parts.

Accucraft fits in next but tends to be usually higher than my price level.

Bachmann is mostly gone mainly due to size & curve limitations.

Everyone makes lemons from time to time and there are products from all that I would not buy or recommend yet there are others who love the same products I don't.

In the end I buy what appeals to me (and my pocketbook) the most and 90% of the time I end up happy.

If possible see and try before you buy. Each company tends to have its own unique quality standards which is usually reflected in the price.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Half way thru this thread Scotychaos mentioned a Big Boy just was not in his high beams...

I can understand it may not run well on the average layout..or not be the favorite home road.!

that someone that could be interested in a Big Boy might be some one such as myself....
One big reason.....I designed my layout with a Big Boy in mind...right from the beginning..so that any one having such a monster loco could run it very easily and in a natural setting, enjoying the beauty of a rare loco and train running freely on rails....

This is an entirely different view than most will take....
Big Boys are added to existing layouts....where they may barely run doing so...and with lots of overhang in the corners...

A time will come when one runs here on my layout..free to roam and run in its own element!!!

It will be a UP..maybe ...4014!!!
....Dirk

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
This is an entirely different view than most will take....
Big Boys are added to existing layouts....where they may barely run doing so...and with lots of overhang in the corners...
....Dirk
The only reason one needs to have a Big Boy (or a Challenger) is...

ITS A BIG BOY (or CHALLENGER)! :)

The USA Big Boy only has the length of a wall to run on but to see and hear it creep along makes it worth having.

Some locomotives are Masterpieces that don't need further justification (other than to the spouse and pocketbook).

Jerry

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
So..you have a BIG BOY Jerry...!?

D
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been away from the hobby and my trains for some time and just noticed your post.

The Big Boy happens to be my Favorite.

I have a USAT Big Boy that is on an 11' track (11' wall) and I love to just watch and listed to it crawl back and forth.

Also there is my MTH Big Boy that sits on a different shelf in a different room.

Then there is my "O" gauge MTH Big Boy on the Loft Layout.

Last there is the HO Big Boy in its box because I no longer have anywhere to run it.

Although I have the Big Boys I mostly run the larger LGB trains (switching mostly to MTS) Indoors in the crawl space; LGB small Analog trains or Aristo 2-4-0's with Revolutions in the garage layout; mostly Aristo diesels with Revolutions outside.

The shop wall layout is mostly LGB with some MTH.

I try to avoid carrying trains and instead drive them to where I intend to run them (most are parked on sidings).

Jerry

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
Semper, you are just starting out, and I see you are enthusiastic.... instead of finding old threads to revive, start a few ones with questions, that's my advice.

Thread necromancy is not good, once a thread has pretty much run it's course, it loses a lot of audience.

Do not be afraid to make multiple new posts with the questions you have, everyone knows you are new (at least to the forum).

Greg

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I run nearly everything narrow gauge. Not necessarily all at the same time though.
Haven't got a kiss yet though. Maybe I'm just too **** ugly or not rich enough, Whatever.. :D

Andrew

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Andrew, just not rich enough. Kiss now releases more timely more interesting models, impossible to keep up with this for myself... Still, this is a good development to keep 1:22.5 so healthy, I wonder what they will come up with next! Best new year wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

·
Registered
11 Posts
My brand is playmobil, i had 2 sets from the 80's-90's and the latest set, the cargo train, all of them are favulous and i want to explore other brands like lgb, for obvious reasons, i loved them and i want to add more playmobil trains to my collection specially the classic trains like the western train and pensilvanya road, those are awesome...

greetins from Mexico...

·
Registered
84 Posts
got a good selection of aristo and usat for the 1 29 side,,, both locos and rolling stock

and a good chink of accucraft, ams and bachmann for the 1 20,3

and a berlyn rgs 20,,,,,

plus a couple of stainz and some starter coaches, and a lgb track cleaner,,,,,,

still hankering for a k36 though,,,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had to make a transition from a large outdoor layout to a outdoor 56" x 18' table layout that is outdoors but under a patio cover. With that move came a selloff of many of may larger engines to smaller 0-4-0's and 0-6-0's that work on the smaller 4' radius track. All but one of the 6 small engines are LGB.

My rolling stock is a mixture of 90% short LGB stock, some Bachman short cars and a couple of Aristo.

I mainly look for dual axel cars as they look better on the short layout.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
LGB in my book have the most bulletproof drive, and best plastic for long term use outdoors(atleast the older German production). I have no experience with the new product since Marklin took over but initial reports are good. My track is going on 17 years outdoors with no major issues. They will cost you more to own in the short term, but in the long term they cost less to maintain and run without any major issues. I do have one non LGB engine, and older Aristocraft Alco FA1 with the fully sprung trucks. Its converted to onboard battery power and runs flawlessly. Mike

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
What Brand do you run?

I thought this thread was too old to comment but it looks like it's still alive so I throw my 2 cents in. I guess I'm part of a smaller group on this site as I run F scale indoors. All my locomotives are Bachmann, I have 17 of them. All are 1:203 Spectrum line except for two Annies and all are steam except for one Davenport, gas. Some were purchased new, some used and some were basket cases bought on the net. For me I think it hard to match the detail Bachmann puts into their Spectrum line of locomotives at a reasonable price. Yes I conceede that the Aster and Accucraft models are more detailed but they don't fit my budget.. I know some may comment on reliablity but it dosen't bother me as I take care of my models and running indoors does not expose them to many of the hazards that you garden railroaders face. I've purchased several locos that have been subject to mother nature's temperment and abuse by their owners and I enjoy restoring them and in some cases modifing their drive trains and electronics. My rolling stock is Bachmann 1:20.3 Spectrum and AMS models.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
My roster consists of:
(2) Two Truck Shays, 0-4-0 Porter Saddle Tank, 0-4-0 Porter side Tank, (2) Connies, K27, C19, (2) Industrial Moguls, Forney, 4-4-0, (2) 2-6-0 Mogul, Davenport gas, (2) Annies. All the 1:20.3 steam locos have either Phoenix or Soundtraxx Sound boards and are waiting DCC installation some time in the near future. The Annies are being rebuilt to 1:20.3 and I'm still looking for a sound board for the Davenport.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts