G Scale Model Train Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
You most likely could repair the problem. It's either in the trucks, or quite often the main board.

The symptoms are like poor power pickup, stutters.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Not sure if it would be the main board, but I will have the dealer that is working on it take a look at it....most likely Aristo won't have the part anyway.
The train will run okay on a straight line, once it hits a corner is when the issues happen.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
It stutters, and stops in the corners.
Seems like it will go back to just being a display in my house, Aristo doesn't have any idea when they will have new power trucks available.

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
It's most likely the wires from the trucks to the chassis underneath, when the trucks turn, you are getting an intermittent contact.

Maybe you could get the the replacement plugs and rewire.

Greg

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 09 Jan 2009 06:31 PM
I have a couple of engines myself..... 1 or 2 pieces of rolling stock....
i love this hobby

Ni[/b]ck

We're kind of like Nick.. except all Eng'.s are Santa fe and no NYC. LoL.
Have a few pc's. of rolling stock in two cart, Train storage shed, Computer room & a couple in Ho train building out back.
Love to work on, Watch and run trains.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own LGB exclusively in large scale. My track, cars, and locos are all LGB mostly second hand. They include a starter set Stainz (analogue) a analogue motorized tender and a digital converted 2080d plus about a dozen or so European prototype cars. Everything is controlled by a digitrax dcs 51 dcc controller and it can operate the analogue and the digital loco at the same time. I converted the 2080d with the help of the people on this very forum and a lot of trial and error.

·
3,001 Posts
Posted By Hoot24 on 08 Jan 2013 10:20 AM
I stumbled across this old 2008 thread and thought it would be nice to bump it up and see what everybody is currently into.....

So what is the current "must have" locos and rolling stock???
Back in 2008 most of my trains and all of my track & turnouts were LGB but the LGB Bankruptcy and loss of LGB of America changed everything. Since then all new track and turnouts have been Aristo Stainless Steel and probably 90% of new locos, rolling stock, controls & power supplies have been Aristo. USA made some things Aristo did not (like PA-1's, GP-38's & NW-2's) so they came along as well.

Over the past few years there have not been many new "must haves" other than the Aristo Connies. For me, as the layouts were completed and the list of new products from all manufacturers dwindled (understandable with the slow economy), it became harder to maintain enthusiasm for the hobby.

As I looked over the list of old friends who posted on this topic years ago I wonder what many of them are doing now.

For me the list of "must haves" would have to be topped by USA MoPac Passenger Cars (noticeably missing from current USA catalogs & their web site). I would buy the complete set if in new condition and at a reasonable price. I have the MoPac PA-1's I bought anticipating buying the coaches (which were still listed and promised).

Then too, if Aristo came out with a Northern...

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Jerry:

I have thought long and hard about whether to add to this thread or not. I run engines (E) and cars (C) from almost all manufacturers over the past 30+ years; LGB (E)(C), Delton (C), USAtrains (E)(C), AristoCraft (E)(C), Accucraft (E)(C), Bachmann (E)(C) plus some kits. I think more about what scale I want to run at a given time, than what manufacturer to run: 1:20.3, 1:22.5/24 (European or American), 1:29, or Thomas and friends 1:?. I have been in the hobby long enough to have acquired engines and cars of various scales that I like. In the beginning there was only LGB. I was pulling American Narrow Gauge with European engines. Then all "He double toothpicks" broke loose and I bought things that I liked when I could afford them. There was also a time when I would give Nancy a list and at Christmas and my birthday there would be red boxes from her and her mother. That was a great time. LGB and others were bringing out a lot of new things every year. I was like a kid in a candy shop. Oh for the good old days. For me to get something new now it has to be something special and right now it isn't out there.

My last major purchases were consignment items at Caboose Hobbies. They were used, slightly or not at all, and at a good price.

Chuck

;

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Posted By chuck n on 23 May 2013 07:16 PM
Jerry:

That was a great time. LGB and others were bringing out a lot of new things every year. I was like a kid in a candy shop. Oh for the good old days. For me to get something new now it has to be something special and right now it isn't out there.

Chuck
;

Hi Chuck,

It was a different time and IMHO a lot of it had to do with the feeling of being in a "club" or "clubs" of sorts. It did not matter if it was an LGB club or an Aristo club or any other brand club (or multiple clubs) and it was not based on a brand or model being better than others but mainly hanging out online with others who enjoyed the same brand and or models. Sometimes it was just visiting online with someone who owned something we did not have or perhaps could not afford.

There have always been things every manufacturer made that I liked or did not like (or simply did not appeal to me).

Perhaps what is missing is the enthusiasm newbies bring to the hobby. When we were the newbies everything was bright, shiny and new but now we have become the old fogies and it takes a lot more to excite us. Unfortunately (for the hobby) almost all the local newbies do their shopping on eBay and I see little new being purchased. I did this myself as most of my original purchases were used LGB trains, track etc. until I eventually could afford some new LGB and Aristo stuff. The problem is that manufacturers need new sales or they will not survive.

I don't know of a single hobby shop in Arkansas that sells G Gauge so I don't see how the hobby will grow here.

I've been off the forums for some time now so hopefully I am out of touch and the hobby is doing better than I think.

Jerry

·
Super Modulator
20,590 Posts
No, unfortunately stores are closing, fewer products are being made, and production runs are smaller and more limited.

But don't give up hope, with the recent sale of Marklin, maybe we will see a revitalization of LGB... glad it is to a company that seems interested.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Aristo FA-1A&B, my first purchases. I made some streamliner cars for it, later put an E-8 nose on the FA.
McKeen Car, scratch build, using Aristo FA block.
Live Steam Shay I made.
Climax A, scratch built, had Stomper mech, now Hartland blocks.
Shay-2 cylinder that I scratched, using Bachman parts, cut down the motor to two cylinders.
Shay-1 cylinder, made from that leftover cylinder.
Pioneer Zephyer, by Robertts Lines, one of 100 sets made.
Aristo Pacific
Aristo Live Steam Mikado
Challenger-made from two old Pacifics. Scratched the centipede tender also.
844- scratched from a Pacific, has box pox wheels.
UP 2906 streamlined steamer, bashed from a Pacific
Hartland 0-4-0
K-line GP30 Army locos for my Army train.
Eggliner, with 3 eggliner coaches.
Baldwin Shark, using a body casting and Aristo FA trucks.
Wood passenger cars I got that I made into D&H for the Shark
MTH Hudson
MTH Challenger
MTH-5 streamliner cars, making one a dome car.
Most of my freight cars are 1/32.
Many scratch built wood cars.
Code 250 SVRR rail.
Some battery power, some track power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
LGB: 5 Forneys, 4 Moguls, 2 2-6-6-2 Mallets, 2 White Pass diesels, 17 passenger cars, 30 - 40 freight cars (boxcars, tank cars, flat cars, hoppers, etc.)
USAT: Big Boy, 2 PA 1, PB 1, 66 Wood side reefers, a few boxcars, 5 streamline passenger cars.
Aristocraft: a few hoppers, tank car.

Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
The award for motive power goes to LGB with my collection. Having experience with several moguls and one Stainz, LGB locomotives are by far the best and have excellent power pickup on dirty indoor/outdoor track that other brands of locomotives balk and stutter with. The 2010 Stainz of mine, and any other of the standard 2020s made before the 21st century are beastly little powerhouses that can pull trains much longer than the Austrian prototypes probably did.

Rolling stock however, is a different story. I own a pretty colorful variety - LGB, Bachmann, Aristo, MDC, Delton, and a tidbit of Lionel. Bachmann wins the trophy for affordable freight stock - Cheaper big hauler cars make wonderful repaint/weathering projects. Slap some metal wheels onto the trucks, and you have good rolling, good looking cars that might have began life in a low-cost starter set.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have sold off my live steam motive power for now, ah life as a student on limited funds, but all is not lost. Like the post above, my hard earned $$ goes to LGB across the board, from track to motive power. I have but one piece of non LGB rolling stock, a lone Kalamzoo flat car with crane on it. Its been rewheeled with San-Val metal wheels. The rest of my rolling stock is all LGB with thier metal wheels in them. Motive power is a lone 2119d Bumblebee Mogul with drop in LGB digital sound added to the tender. Layout power is a LGB 1amp power pack that I hope to upgrade to LGB MTS one day soon. Figure prices should come down as the technology gets outdated. The sound package already has a MTS decoder in it, just need a decoder for the locomotive now. Being the shop mechanice for 2 hobby shops and seeing my fair share of other brands(in all scales though), LGB holds the prize for overall durablity in operation. Bachmann being the worst and the others falling inbetween them. That being the factory drives, not upgraded Bachmanns ect. The Annie holds up the best of the Bman's I havent experienced any of the non-German produced LGB yet in the shop so only can speak for the older West Germany produced items. Cheers Mikie

·
Registered
756 Posts
5 years later!

im still running my LGB stuff
still enjoying it a great deal

but a bit less willing to have to do lots of maintenance-so it i have a simple outdoor layout-which changes every few years
and i swap out buildings as suit me, from my hoard

and I am, far more slowly, but still consistently adding once in a while to the 'pile';

i have about 80 or more locos, a few trolleys and trams, and most everything but RhB, and about 175 cars-half US , half euro id guess
whatever suits my whim -field, narrow gauge, or a few standard gauge things, different colors i like
all LGB,
but for my first run 38 ton bachman shay with new trucks, some bachman side dump ore cars and a Bachman logging caboose painted to look like a DSP and P way car
a few original delton C and S cars too
have a couple of live steam locos, one LGB one roundhouse SRRL

the hobby has changed, and so many things once taken for granted have disappeared or become a bit too pricey (of course this is retrospect)

and i still tend to enjoy the small and shorter stock for convenience, ease and simplicity and change outs -i change stuff a lot for the fun of it

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm just getting into LS over the last few years.

First set that started it all was a Bachmann North Pole & Southeren freight christmas set w/ 2-6-0 .
2 Bachmann Old time passenger cars in North Pole & Sourthern christmas decoration.
2 Bachmann Big Hauler old time passenger car kits. I painted them to match the other 2 cars and decorated them all with small LED christmas lights.
USAT 2012 Christams wood side box car
USAT 40' Wood side reefer car, Popeye Rootbeer
USAT 40' Wood side reefer car Lone Star Beer
Bachmann Spectrum 55t 3 truck Shay with sound
Aristo-craft F1 A/B units. They were originall in Blue/yellow Santa Fe but have been repurposed to a Red and Silver Texas Special.

Track is a mix of Piko and LGB.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I posted in this thread six years ago. Can you believe that?

Much has happened but I still run the same stuff. USAT and AML. Since 2008 I have invested in three of the USAT modern tank cars. Wonderful. Also found two Aristo Evans cars for cheap and I'm adding new doors and ribs etc while turning them into more NAR boxes. I'll do a lot more things like that down the road. 50 foot gons, center beam flatcars, 8 hatch and mechanical reefers as I find the basics at garage sales.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Started with LGB as a Kid and still have it, but lately as the only time I've been able to run trains is for some holiday events that I set up a display these have been a mix of a Bachmann Circus Train, a couple Bachmann trollies, a Disneyland Red Car trolley, and My Accucraft D&RGW freight train headed by K-27 453. Next outing in June will add a Lionel Polar Express and my scratch built D&RGW short caboose.

Oh and a Bachmann Thomas is in the mix too as part of the hodge podge train display.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts