G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Started with Bachmann Big Haulers then migrated to Aristo.  After a year or two, sold my Bachmann stuff and stuck mainly with Aristo.  Bought a GP38-2 from USA, then another, then a SD40 then a F3 AB set.  I have since returned to Aristo only because they come battery ready.  All new motor power I purchase will be Aristo unless USA decides to produce battery ready equipment.  Guess I could convert my older stuff to battery, but just not interested in putting in the time for it.  Not lazy...just busy! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif  

I don't have a problem with either manufacturer.  Both companies put out quality units.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I recently completed a switch over from LGB RhB 1:22.5 to MTH 1:32. In doing so I abandoned DCC in favor of MTH DCS. This was also a change from Swiss Narrow Gauge to transition era and later mainline US trains.

I have a lot of structures in 1:22.5 or 1:24 that are  being modified to mix better with 1:32 or to be sold on eBay. I do have some 1:29 rolling stock, but nothing that won't look good behind a 1:32 locomotive.

I have retained a few LGB trains designed to appeal to children and these I run when children are present.

Mark

·
Super Modulator
21,586 Posts
USAT and AML for freight cars, mainly because I can bolt body mount Kadee 830s on in minutes.

The cars they don't make I get Aristo. Coupler mounting pain in the butt.

Passenger cars: Aristo heavyweights, USAT streamliners.

Locomotives: Transition era diesel, mostly USAT 44 tonner, GP7, S4, NW-2, F3, PA, etc. The Aristo RS-3 is good.

Steam: AML K4, Aristo Mallet, Pacific, and Northern bashed from 2 Pacifics.

Have a Bachmann Shay and Annie, just could not resist, will probably get a 3 truck shay too.

Model Santa Fe, trying to stay to the locos they used... may snap some day and go more modern, or take off in 20.3...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/15/2008 11:29 PM
USAT and AML for freight cars, mainly because I can bolt body mount Kadee 830s on in minutes.

The cars they don't make I get Aristo. Coupler mounting pain in the butt.

Passenger cars: Aristo heavyweights, USAT streamliners.

Locomotives: Transition era diesel, mostly USAT 44 tonner, GP7, S4, NW-2, F3, PA, etc. The Aristo RS-3 is good.

Steam: AML K4, Aristo Mallet, Pacific, and Northern bashed from 2 Pacifics.

Have a Bachmann Shay and Annie, just could not resist, will probably get a 3 truck shay too.

Model Santa Fe, trying to stay to the locos they used... may snap some day and go more modern, or take off in 20.3...

Regards, Greg
Sounds like a very interesting layout you must have. That's a nice mix of rolling stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
While I am mostly Aristo, AML and USAT...I do have some Bachmann Equipment as well.

BUT I mostly buy whatever happens to catch my eye...no matter who makes it.

to me it's just trains and they are all my favorites. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have gone totaly LGB for what I run. I have owned most of the other brands at one time or another. Granted I am drawn to the German meter gauge railways. The stuff from Bachmann is awsome, but it is fragile compared to some. Aristo and USA have the diesel market pretty well covered. I love the "bomb proof" quality and construction that one gets from LGB and I hope they get back up to speed quickly under the direction of Marklin.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Started off with the Bachman Big Hauler set but quickly started acquiring Aristo equipment. Right now all motive power is Aristo except my USA NW-2. Have a variety of frt cars with 75% being Aristo, other 25 % divided up between Bachman, LGB, and USA.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I have a mix of engines and rolling stock. I have all steam engines, no diesels. I have converted everything over to battery with a few exceptions that will operate on track power or battery. I use the Aristo-Craft Lithiom Ion battery along with the AirWire controller, except for the MTH engines which I use their DCS controller and have put their TIU in a box car. I had 2 tracks up until this year when I put a 3 track in to accomidate the big engines. No track power, so if you run on my layout you will need to run battery or live steam. I might hook track 1 to power, I'm still thinking on that.
Aristo-Craft - Pacific, Mallet, 0-4-0 Switcher
MTH - Big Boy and Challanger
Bachmann - 2-truck Shay, Heisler, Climax, 3-Truck Shay, Consolidation, Annie, Mogul, Rail Truck
Hartland - Forney, Emma Nevada 2-6-0
LGB - Uintah Mallet, 0-4-0
Accucraft - FLying Scotsman, Mortimer(live steam)
Regner - Wilma (live steam)
Lionel (G scale) - Thomas the Tank, James the Red Engine (the kids love these at the train shows)

The rolling stock is a little bit of this and a little bit of that from Bachmann, Hartland, Aristo, MTH, LGB, USA. All cars have metal wheels and slowly they are getting Kadee couplers

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
I was one of those who started out with Bachmann because that's what was out there at the time. Someone gave me one back in '94 and that's where it all started. I haven't used any Bachmanns except for my Shay for about a dozen years now. My most-used locomotive is a double-header--two LGB moguls that will pull almost anything anywhere.  Then I began plans on my outdoor railroad . . .

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
What do I run?

Well, I have the Penn Line Switcher from when I was a child and had a full blown HO layout in my bedroom in around 1954 or 55.
I have the American Flyer Trains that belonged to my twinn uncles. Today I have my late fathers G Gauge trains along with some that I have purchased recently.

I have my dad's favorite was the LGB 4073D that runs great. Early Bachmann Big Hauler Santa Fe that doesn't run any more, a Bachmann 2-4-2 that has a stripped gear, Bachmann trolley that doesn't run, a Lionel 0-6-0, a Delton pickup truck and a Bachmann hand truck.

Recently I added an LGB 2-4-0 Santa Fe with sound and smoke along with a set of Aristocraft F1s A&B Rock Island Diesels.
I've been adding MDC/Roundhouse 2 bay hoppers to run behind the 2-4-0 Santa Fe / soon to be Baltimore & Ohio

I have a few Bachmann, LGB and Delton frt cars and an Aristocraft B&O Bobber caboose.

Once I get the tunnels trough the bedroom walls and the track hung, I plan on adding some streamline passenger cars for the F1s

Currently I'm pulling 9 of the 2 bay hoppers and a Bachmann 2 axle caboose around an oval with 4' diameter curve and the LGB 2-4-0 is pulling them like a champ.
My main line will be 8' diameter curve and I hope to have a total of around 25 hoppers behind the 2-4-0. The layout will all be level and running through three rooms. The 2 F1s with 4-5 passenger cars in tow will at times be in all three rooms which will be pretty neat. Once I have it up and running, the wife may be more acceptable to me running the train out into the familyroom which has a high ceiling.

·
Registered
770 Posts
lgb

for whatever reason i love the overall quality and never am REQUIRED to repair of modify in order to get great operation ( ihave grown tried of spending precious time tinkering with something to try to make it run as great as it looks)

and

I have abandoned concerns over accuracy and concetrate on operation without bench time for repairs-i have a large n scale layout to use for more protypical creative outlet -lgb is my toy train set-yet some have been modded tho, with paint and details-the transformation is often startling

after recently seeing a demo of lionel's o scale legacy UP 8444 in my local shop on a cold sunday afternoon-it just impressed me like nothing else, i am well aware of the shortcomings of my lgb choice re accuracy and technology however

·
3,010 Posts
Most of my locomotives are LGB Moguls, Mikados, F7's and now Forneys with an assortment of others. I also have a number of Aristo-Craft FA-FB-1's and a few USA diesels. There are also LGB and Hartland street cars & trolleys and a mine train.

Most coaches are LGB plus a quantity of Aristo Heavyweights.

Most freight cars are LGB and USA with a quantity of Aristo-Craft and Bachmann hoppers and tank cars.

Most cabooses are LGB (big ones and Drovers), Aristo-Craft (Long Steel) and USA (Wood Sided) plus some LGB & Aristo Bobbers.

My preference is for LGB because of their greater durability of construction, greater ability to handle the tight curves, humps and dips of my layout and the dampness of my crawl space and garage - and better maintained resale value.

LGB does not make heavyweights and Aristo-Craft does so I buy them and I like them.

LGB F7's are bigger, EMD (I like the rounded shape) and have fantastic factory sound so I now buy them but I still have and will keep my Aristo FA/B-1's. Aristo ATSF Chrome E-8's were too pretty to pass up even though they cannot handle most of my curves.

I love the looks of the USA Woodsided Cabooses so I buy them for my LGB Mogul trains.

I buy LGB and USA freight cars (except for hoppers and tank cars in quantity) because I prefer them over others. When I want a big (long) freight train I buy Bachmann hoppers and tank cars.

I like Aristo freight cars and I have a quantity of them but I seldom buy new ones mainly because the truck tongues are too short to mount my LGB and USA hook & loop couplers.

My indoor trains are mostly LGB. The non-LGB manufacturers decided that for me by offering trains that will not go around my R1 (4' diameter) and R2 (5' diameter) curves. The other manufacturers have to compete for space on my single yard that has R3 (8' diameter) curves and feeds to my outside layout.

More than anything else I buy what appeals to me (and can run on my layout) when I can afford it.

I think that everyone can find something that appeals to them at a price they can afford and that they will be happy with it. When I want something and I cannot afford to buy it new I have often bought things used and been quite happy with them. Everything I buy ends up used anyway.

Regards,

Jerry

·
Registered
49 Posts
So glad to see you guys aren't as polarized as the O gauge people!
Even though I have no room and very little trains - I am sure glad to be back in LS!!!

To the question....
I love the way LGB runs, but will never be able to afford anything beyond the train set pieces. I love the detail of USAT, but after the first time I 'tried' to remove the shell on my NW2 to repaint it, the love affair dwindled a little. Most all of the little stuff I have is Aristo. I have a 15 year old 0-4-0 switcher that still runs great, especially after I wired track pickup to the tender trucks. I have a Lionel LS GP7 that gets alot of critisism, but I love! It manages R1 curves like a champ, and the sound is good too!
My next loco will probably be a Center Cab. I have R1 curves on my little garage layout, so I'm keeping the equipment small.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
I got started in this because a relative, who was a little crazy, gave my son a bunch of LGB starter sets and individual locos

We have

2 LGB 4 wheeler "furka-oberalp" diesels (2020? 2021?)
2 "stainz" locos, both in circus train livery
1 american style 0-4-0 red tank engine labled "lake George and Boulder" and currently not working

1 aristo eggliner
1 aristo pacific
1 aristo mikado

1 bachmann annie

The LGBs run and run and run. I've converted one to remote control
The Bachmann annie is the sleeper of the bunch--runs well, pulls well, lots of detail, inexpensive
The Eggliner is every visitor's favorite

Rolling stock is mostly aristo with some USA Trains and AML cars, a set of aristo heavyweights and a set of three bachann J&S coaches. I have some "bighauler" cars but dont' run them much and some 2 axle lgb cars that don't see much action

I like the Pacific and really like the Mikado but in retrospect I think they are a little too big for my smallish layout.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Dang,

How did I miss this thread?!

I have had a lot of different manufacturers trains in the 23 years I've been in to large scale. Like many, I started with LGB, and continued with them for a long time. Recently, I have been running more aristocraft trains. They appeal to me, and I feel they are made to be run.

My most recent locomotive is a new old stock Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0. Its performance has been nothing short of stellar. It will creep along on my railroad over historic trouble spots without even a wimper. I need to add sound to this beauty before too long.

Mark

G

·
i got:

1) lgb stainz black (freight-starter set 1969 or 1970)
2) lgb stainz blue (train set "the blue train" from the '70s)
3) toyscrap assembly (driven by motored playmobil tender)
4) adapted toy loco (driven by motored lgb tender)
5) lgb "western loco"-base with toy exterieur 1984
6) playmobil-base with toy exterieur 1988(?)
7) playmobil loco from westerntrain 1986(?)
8) bachman 4'6'0

and some lgb motors, i still could not fix in toy locos...

korm

·
Registered
297 Posts
After switching control systems I've selected MTH and will stay with their DCS system. It took a little effort to figure out why the system was not responding and/or locking up in the beginning. I struggled with dcc compatability issues, and just remembering where all the functions were. I now have several MTH dash 8s and a challenger. I'm looking forward to MTH releasing more modern diesels. I probably will sell off larger scale equipment in the future, but they run good together for now, Joe

41 - 60 of 157 Posts