G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We had a discussion in the European forum and as usual, it was an education for me.  Now that I'm probably going to stay with this forum and presumably a different bunch of folks, I would be interested in hearing what brands you prefer and why.  I currently have my LGB starter set little green Stanz loco, a new (Santa brought) Aristo Rogers 2-4-2, and a Bachmann 4-6-0.  The little green LGB will out pull both of the others:) and the big Bachman seems to be the weakest and has traction issues(to be fair, it came out of a barn and was very dirty and not in the best condition).  What kind of load am I pulling you ask?  Approx 11 assorted cars on a flat layout.  I find the typical German quality in the LGB line appealing but their price seems a bit excessive and some of their stuff lacks in scale detail (they claim to build toys not models).  My Bachmann loco is a little "junky" (too much plastic), but I really like my Bachman passenger cars.  My Aristo Rogers is a nice new loco that looks good, plenty of scale detail at a very reasonable price.  On the other hand, the Aristo passenger cars are quite a bit more $$ than the Bachmanns and I'm wondering if they are worth it?  I don't know anything about USA or the other brands and would appreciate any and all enlightenment.

i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/sailbode/Newyears08013.jpg

D

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I'm mainly an Aristo dud (that's not quite a dude), but I have a Bachmann 4-6-0 Annie and like it a lot. Aristo seems to me to be a nice balance of detail and price. The USA cars are more expensive and nicer while some of the Bachmann cars are not as nice but less expensive.

I have 4 Aristo "Sierra" coaches and like them a lot. I usually pull them with the Bachmann loco. They're quite a bit heavier than the Bachmann version and seem to stick to the track better. I love all the gingerbread on the Sierra coaches including the metal railings. The newer Sierra coaches with the new bearing pickups roll very easily. In fact, I have to be a little careful and put the loco on the track first, or the coaches will roll away while I'm fetching the next car.

The 4-6-0 is quite a puller and pulls all the cars I own except the Chevy without breaking a sweat.

G

·
0 Posts
I have a Rogers also...and an LGB SV Switcher,and a Few HLW Mack's...the rest of the stable is Bachmann....our rolling stock is a mix of Bachmann, LGB, USA and HLW.

I want to model NG Steam Fn3 (1:20.3) for me and whatever will take it for the kids.

cale

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have one Bachmann 4-6-0 'Annie' and two Lionel 0-4-0 switchers at the current time. I have about fifteen cars, mostly Bachmann, with three or four Lionel specimens thrown in. Mostly boxcars, gondola's, and flat cars. Two combines, one passenger car, and two bobber cabooses.

Over the past few months, I've been collecting lots of cheapo sitting figurines off of EBAY. I stuffed six or eight of them into one of the combines and have plans to have the daughter help me cram another twelve or fifteen into the passenger car. Word of warning: Bachmann scale figures do not really fit into the seats in Bachmann passenger cars - I had to drop down to 1/25 and 1/29 scale figures.

All three locomotives are capable of pulling a good dozen cars on a flat surface. Before my current revampment, I was experimenting with a 4% grade in one part of the layout; the Annie could drag itself, the tender and three cars to the top with no problem, but started to spin something terrible with four cars (one of the reasons for my changing the track plan and going through the headache of the expansion). Both switchers could manage as many as four cars on that grade without serious problems. With the revised layout, I'm figuring traim lengths maxing out at about six or eight cars, depending on just how I revamp the one section.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

Over the past year I've become a USAT guy.  My F1A/B are gone along with my RS3 and of course my Pacific was the first to go.  My -9 sits on a shelf and I take it to shows because it's BIG.  Although the SD70 is bigger is it not?

Now I run all GP9's and a pair of SD40-2's and another pair of SW1200's (NW2's)

My rolling stock is a mix but no Bachmann and no LGB.

I think it's simply because USAT builds what I want and it has nothing to do with quality. :D

Dave

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Even though I always said it would never happen, I've turned into a LGB guy over the last year or so. I own 5 LGB 0-4-0's/2-4-0's, and 3 USAT locomotives. I think about 75% of my rolling stock is aristo though...... track, anything that works.... [/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Run and own are different things...

I run about 90% aristo... FAs, FBs, RS3s, 04-0... I have a USA GP38, and a GP7/9 they are great too...

I have a few pieces of USA rolling stock, 1 tank car and a caboose... but the bulk is Aristo... 9 Covered Hoppers, 4 open hoppers, 8 box cars, 1 reefer, 1 tank car, 1 flat car and 2 cabooses...

I also have one LGB 2-4-0 that I like... (custom Western Maryland)

a few Bachmann Passenger cars, 4 or 5 I think...

Most of my Bachmann stuff just sits on a shelf... the era is wrong for what I model... I bought it long ago...

I bought LGB starter sets for my 2 sons... we run them under the tree at Christmas...

looking forward to getting a few Aristo GP40s...

Philip

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

I have 3 Bachman Annie's, a Bachmann Mogal, and an Aristocraft Mallet. One Annie has been converted to MTH DCS, and the rest will be converted eventualy.

G

·
0 Posts
I run mostly USA Trains because I love their detail and quality and their price.  I also have some Aristocraft as well.   At Christmas, I add some Bachmann rolling stock around the tree in the basement, but I only run 1:29 out of doors.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Mostly USA Trains... I like the detail they provide and they run very well.   They also come in road names I prefer.  I also have a Bachmann 4-6-0 Mogul...and an Aristo RDC.  My  rolling stock is a mix of Aristo and USAT depending on the road names and style of car but I like tank cars and hoppers. 

Gary

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run mostly Bachmann since mostly I will be modelling more the old west look, I also have 1 LGB and 1 Hartland. For me I am not into the detail as many are but more in to the running and relaxing, I have not looked at DCC or any other system yet I am still using Track Power. This year I will start my outside layout and am thinking of using Aristo Stainless but welcome comments on what track, other modes, ETC, I am still relativity new to Large Scale and have lots to learn.

I am also getting a lot of slippage on grades and was wondering if there is a way to add traction wheels to a Bachmann 4-6-0.

GlacierBill

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My main motive power is a bashed LGB 2017 (Americanized Stainz w/ power tender) I also have a custom Aristo c-16 a custom Lionel James, and a Lionel Mickey and Donald handcar. I had an LGB Mogul, several custom Aristo 0-4-0s, a Hartland Mack, a couple live steam Ruby cousins, one of each of the first 4 versions of the Bug Mauler, and one lonely Aristo FA...all those have gone, mostly via evilBay, to help fund other projects.

My layout is a HUGE 5' x 8' so a basic Crest/Aristo 5400 works just fine for me, and I kinda like the soft start/stop (momentum?) feature.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I am also getting a lot of slippage on grades and was wondering if there is a way to add traction wheels to a Bachmann 4-6-0.

For a time I experimented with drapping weights over the 4-6-0. That let it get to the top of the grade pulling as many as five or six cars with no problem, but when I ran that by the folks here, they pointed out it was also pretty hard on the engine (gearing?). After thinking about it for a while, I decided to revamp the track plan rather than burn up the engine.

The grade is still there, but it won't be part of the regular run.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
What brand do you run? :confused:

Whatever I can afford!  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

Its an eclectic mix, LGB, Bmann, Aristo, MDC, HLW...I dont play any favorites./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I run primarily Bachmann "Spectrum" locomotives; the Bachmann Climax was my first loco,/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif got me restarted after a 10-year abscence /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif model railroading.  Currently have the Climax, 3 2-truck Shays, 1 3-truck Shay, a Heisler, 1 each "Centennial" 4-4-0 & 2-6-0, 2 "Annie" 4-6-0's, 1 45-ton GE diesel.  Only non-Bachmann electrically powered locos are an LGB rail truck & USA Trains Alco PA diesel in NH colors (want to get a matching passenger train to go with it:rolleyes:).  Control is via DCC, although still have a few locos to convert (the Christmas "Annie", the USAT PA, & LGB railtruck).  Rolling stock is a mix, although tending towards 1:20.3 equipment in recent purchases (Accucraft & Bachmann's new Spectrum 1:20.3 cars); older equipment includes some Aristo "Classic" / Delton cars (mostly wood hopper cars or reefers), & some LGB (US-style narrow gauge).  May acquire more 1:29 equipment in the future & run "standard gauge" some days, "narrow gauge" others, but do NOT plan to mix the two!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  (1:29 equipment under consideration is more NH prototypes from USAT, an Accucraft-AMS PRR K4s Pacific/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif, maybe Aristo's live-steam mikado).

I also have two 1:20.3 live-steamers (both Accucraft) on the roster; my "workhorse" 3-cylinder Shay/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif (equipped with RC control), & a Ruby 2-4-2 (which desperately NEEDS /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif RC control to deal with my grades! - It's a "wanna-be ACELA":rolleyes: running downgrade without it!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif).

Track is mostly Aristo "Euro" (narrow-gauge tie style) brass with LGB 16050 or 18050 turnouts.:)

Tom

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
The two brands I have the most of are LGB and Marklin MAXI (no longer being made). I had planned at one point to sell the MAXI items, even though they are beautiful and very well made, but have since changed my mind and plan to hold onto them. It's kind of nice to have some well made items that are no longer to be found in the marketplace. Kind of gives them a special appeal, at least as far as I am concerned. I also have a couple of Accucraft models; also very nice.

I have always liked LGB--probably the best quality toy/model trains made for the mass consumer market in any scale, in my opinion.

More recently I've become a big fan (and consumer) of Bachmann's On30 line of trains. Admittedly, they're not Large Scale, but they sure are beautifully made and reasonably priced. I've started work on an On30 layout in my new home, and am planning to build--or at least start--a Large Scale pike in half of my two-car garage over the summer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I "collect" right now as no track laid except for the X-mas set up around the living room.Which comes down sunday.
I have Bachmann 4-6-0's all over the place I swear.I believe the count on those are at 8 or 10 One USA 20 tonner couple LGB engines one Mack switcher.
As for rolling stock lots of Bachmann a few REA and LGB to a total of about 25 to 30 cars of different kinds.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I have also been collecting while getting ready to build the pike (will be basement full perimeter). Have mostly LGB passenger trainsets: five different trains from a Stainz-powered Euro starter set to an RhB Crocodile pulling a full consist of 3 Alpine Classic Pullman Express cars, a baggage car (and a brand new Gourmino Dining Car when it arrives next week from the UK). I like to run short equipment, relatively short trains. In a small space, it makes the most sense. If I had a 1/2 acre backyard with a fence around it, I'd have 40 car US-style trains pulled by MU'd diesel lashups too. But I have to choose what works well and looks reasonably plausible within the small envelope I have for the layout. If one models short lines and/or narrow gauge lines, one really should not have to worry about pulling power - keep train consists short, keep grades below 3% and all should be fine.

I also have Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation with some Jackson Sharp passenger cars and it is a good running set. My single Aristocraft RS-3 pulls a short load (8) of freight cars. I bought a USA SW4 switcher for fun and it too runs smoothy. I have no qualms about any of this equipment-  so far, for the short time I have run it on temporary layouts, it has all performed well. I think quality is close enought that it is more important to choose what you want to model and then select what model locos and cars fit that theme than to worry about brand comparisons. The biggest headache is mismatched couplers across the brands when just out of the box. But that can usually be remedied with a screwdriver...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got a lot of (mostly random) equipment, and way too much for my railroad, though I'm sure that's shared by half the people on here...

Bachmann 1:20.3 Consolidation
(3) Bachmann 4-6-0s, all older models; possibly kitbashing at some point, as none run that well
(2) LGB Rio Grande 2-6-0s from the late '90s, black with sound
LGB green Denver and Rio Grande 2-6-0, balloon stack
LGB Lake George and Boulder 2-6-0, bumblebee
LGB 2-4-0(owned by my brother) Union Pacific, printed stickers on sides for Rio Grande
Aristocraft C-16 2-8-0, bumblebee(early Aristo model, late '90s)
Bachmann Industrial 2-6-0(possible future kitbash)
An old LGB red diesel that I took to bed frequently when I was 3-4 years old...after several trips down the stairs, it runs like new, despite missing about half the superstructure
(2)Lionel 0-6-0, one Denver and Rio Grande(brown) and other one forgotten road name in aqua green/Russian Iron boiler, neither runs well

Freight cars are mostly Bachmann, but I've got a train consisting of the first 5 American Model Supply(Accucraft) freight cars, along with a Accucraft short caboose in brass.
Passenger cars include three early '90s LGB Pennsylvania Railroad coaches in green, and six Bachmann coaches. Bachmann coaches are all yellow with black roofs, and either kits or repainted from White Pass and Yukon.

All cars equipped with metal wheels and Kadee couplers, excluding the Accucraft equipment.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts