G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's re-visit the subject of track.

What are you buying to off set the price of brass track?

What track is cost effective for your RR?

Stainless?

Aluminum?

Steel?

Wood?

Other?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I started hand laying aluminum rail. It's boring, but saves me a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By Dan Pierce on 10/25/2008 7:18 AM
Used track!!!

I have been finding little used track with alost no sign of wear at $3 per foot. Washed in the dishwasher and these look like new.

If you have a train li bender you can buy just about any bargin and re form it to your needs

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I got all my brass down before the price went up, so I'm good for the time being.. Otherwise I buys used stuff when available now.. (I know of some very nice, lovingly pre-owned, Aristo #6 switched coming on the msrket shortly..... Hmmmmmmmm).

·
Super Modulator
21,610 Posts
Stainless... got a few pieces of brass, it oxidized over in 2 days... had to scrub it clean with scotchbrite, did not want to use sandpaper... bought a LGB track cleaning loco, worked all right, but had to keep truing the rubber wheels...

Bought SS and life has been wonderful...

Since it is basically a one time investment, fun outvoted cost.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
521 Posts
I built my RR over two years ago; I have a little spare track enough for a long spur or siding maybe. I do not envisage any enlargements of the RR outdoors. If I did it would be with what I already have - Aristo brass USA style.

However a recurring thought crosses my mind from time to time. I have a large garage and I think a circuit, with siding, might be good in there for wet days.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts