G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I haven't been around much lately. So many reasons but in a nutshell it's kinda like the old saying.......Nothing good to say then say nothing at all.
Well as part of a "healing process" I figured I'd make a post about the one major event in our lives just this month.
But first I wanted to provide a short back story.
About 6 years ago my uncle (Mom's younger brother) was diagnosed with Cancer. He was given a 1 in 125% chance of making it to Christmas that year. Being the fighter he was he beat that and more. There were a couple years where everything seemed to be going very well. They even got the cancer to go into remission but unfortunately he had to loose his entire bladder as a part of achieving this. Then in May he had a setback. He was diagnosed with a side effect of the chemo called Black Kidney. This meant that all forms of Chemo had to cease immediately.
We had kinda always hoped for the best but at that point there was a stark realization that his time was limited. Then about 2 weeks ago he was bed stricken and then Friday the 1st he was entered into Hospice. Finally after almost a full six years and just 7 days after his 64th Birthday (July 30th) he passed quietly at home with family at his side.
Needless to say it was both devestating and a relief all in the same breath. I can honestly say that even though I may not have been as close socially with him as other relatives that never diminished my feelings for him as my Uncle and Confirmation God Father. Grantyed he will be missed greatly and is no-longer suffering but the world is somehow missing just another piece of the puzzle that made things worth while.
Anyhow we just got back from a very unplanned and unpleasant trip to Chicago and I was going through things and thought I would post this.
In his honor I would like to add his obituary as it appeared in the Chicago Tribune on the 10th.
"Charles "Chuck" Martino D., age 64, of Midlothian passed away August 7, 2008 after a brave battle with cancer. He was an amazing husband of 43 years to Mary Ann, nee Frasor; a loving father to Bob (Jennifer) Martino and Sherri (Chuck) Guiborat; an adoring papa to Madison, Delaney, Alex and Katie; loving brother to Jim (Prudy) Martino and Carolyn (Frank) DiSanto; and an uncle to many nieces and nephews. He loved the Cubs and he loved golf. His friends were many and he touched more lives than we will ever know. His legacy will continue with all who knew and loved him."

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. I will think of him in Vespers tonight.

I think I went to Grade School with Mary Ann his wife. Went to Saint Benedict Grade School in Blue Island Ill.

At least I do remember a Mary Ann Frasor in Grade School

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Joe,
Sorry to hear of the loss. He fought a valiant battle.
JimC.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Joe,

We went through a similar battle a few years ago with MB's uncle. In that case, he ignored the symptoms of colon cancer until it was really full blown. Even then, two years of chemo seemed to help. Then, it just seemed like it was all over. We went to dinner with him one Thursday, and he just wasn't himself. Didn't hardly eat anything. A few days later, he entered hospice (nothing but great things to say about that place), and that was that. I totally understand the relief and saddness rolled in to one and our hearts go out to you and your family.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.