G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And Eastern New York too. We now have a place to gather and run our live steam locomotives and trains if we want it. And there is no reason not to.

Yesterday I spent an hour with Rick Michaud, who is the membership chairman for the Pioneer Valley Live Steamers in Southwick, MA, about their G scale layout. He had told me it needed some TLC, which would only need some additional bracing to stiffen it up. Rick told me that the G scale layout was a donation from a member who had passed. I asked about the possibility of rebuilding it into something a little more substantial. Rick said anything is possible. I also asked about the attitude of the other steamers there because of reports of not really wanting us there. Rick said he knew of some members being hard liners against G scale live steamers, but most steamers there would be more of the side-jabbers kidding us about growing up to bigger stuff. I said we can dish it right back about riding side-saddle.

We spent some time discussing the rebuilding and expansion of the layout. A proposal would have to be presented to the board for consideration and with Rick being on that board he said possibilities were everywhere. Monies were also discussed. That is for another time. Nothing bad just more to explain.

Now as I see it, we have here the seeds of something on the order of a Pennsylvania Live Steamers or a Zube Park or one of the west coast clubs. We can start having big steam-ups here in the northeast and being the only one in the northeast. I can give you a 99% chance that explaining to the small scale live steamers community the need for monies for the expansion that they would really help. You never know when some one hears of your needs and have a Christmas in July type of thing happen.

It will also mean a lot of hard work. There won't be any help from the larger scales as they have their own maintenance to take care of. But then you never know when they may just help out anyway.

Membership can be one of two ways. As an Associate or a full member. Associate is $20 per year and full membership is $75 per year.

Think about this and PM me with your questions and concerns. I really believe we can have something really nice here but only if we all work together at it.

Chester Louis SA #64
Hampshire County Narrow Gauge

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks, Chester, you've obviously contacted the right person at PVLS. Count me in (I've followed this up with a PM).

If this starts to gain momentum, I'd suggest we put up a notice at Pioneer Valley Hobbies in W. Springfield, there are bound to be others interested in G1 live steam (or would like to be).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pioneer Valley Live Steamers is having a public meet this weekend (9/7 - 9/9), I plan to go and talk about Gauge 1 live steam with them. Anyone else in Western New England who's interested in promoting G1 steam is warmly invited to go and make yourselves heard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried this when I first got my Accucraft IDA around 10 or 15 years ago. I thought everything was good to go but I never got my membership packet. I did go and run there but never felt comfortable
. One person was welcoming. the rest were not at all interested in having me there. as an interesting side note I have since sold most of my G scale equipment and I am down to 8 electric and 1 live steam loco. PVLS has turned me elsewhere unfortunately.
Trent Bradbury

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Trent,

Don't feel too bad, I have not been back at all either. A couple of freinds of mine, Harvey Campbell, Joel Novis and Bill Gray get together a couple of times a year to do some steaming. You are more than welcome to come join us. I also have a rasied railroad under construction in my back yard for running steam.

Where do you hail from?

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
As a long-ago visitor at PVLS meets, I am disappointed to hear about negative attitude towards G1 there. At NJLS where I am a member, our G1 steam track of 25+ years is totally accepted by the club and is as active as any of the ride-on scales. Great participation with G1 at Finger Lakes LS and Pennsy LS also.

Speaking for myself, I changed from 1-1/2" scale ride-on to G1 live steam because the big stuff got to be too much to handle. I now have an elevated track at home and no longer need a heavy truck to take my toys to meets.

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts