G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to host an informal get together of anyone from the western North and South Carolina area. It will be held on Saturday, October 4, 2008. The time will be between 12 noon and 4 PM. I'm located just 2 miles north of Hendersonville, NC on route 191.
I will send directions to those who reply.

This get together is designed to provide an opportunity to get to know those in the area and to sit down and talk about largescale railroading. I'm just beginning my new railroad but I will have a large loop (20 ' x 50') of track down for those who wish to bring something to run. The track will be powered but battery guys and live steamers are welcome to run also. I'll have two 16' - 20' sidings available for car storage. The minimum radius on the loop will be 10 ft. and the turnouts are all #6's.

If you'd rather not run, then bring something for show & tell.

I know this is short notice but I needed to be sure that a couple of the guys who live close by could make it.

If the weather isn't conducive to running trains, we can still meet inside and talk.

Doc

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Hey Thanks Doc for taking the Bull by the Horns, I plan on attending.
I’ll be bringing my two Steamers and some cars.

Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matthew,

Sorry you can't make it. I know it'is a relatively long way to drive and the fuel shortages don't help either. We'll see how this first meet goes. I'm hoping that some of the others will also volunteer to be hosts of future get togethers. It appears that some have pretty nice layouts. I'd sure like to see them. I'm not sure how the others will feel about forming an "informal" club.

Thanks for the offer.

Doc

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I think a great day was had by all at Doc’s house. He is a gracious host and has the beginning of a great layout.
Thanks Doc!
And by the way I think you need a sign over you work shop door, something like
“MASTER MODELER AT WORK” If you’ve been in his shop you’ll understand.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Absolutely! Thanks, Doc, for a great time. I'll have pictures posted as soon as I can get them reduced in size enough to post here. If anyone wants the full size images, e-mail me and I'll be glad to send the file(s).

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Here are the photos. Unfortunately, my camera was acting up all day, so some did not turn out as well as I would have liked. A little tweaking in the computer solved that pretty well - gotta love digital!

This is Doc's layout. A very good beginning, and I am looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

We had a chance to run quite a bit. My little project got to stretch her legs for the first time. Other than running backwards, it was a remarkably smooth performance.

Here, she's resting after her first excursion. Given her lack of tender and couplers, and her insistence on running opposite everything else, she sat out the rest of the day.

We ran K27fireman's live steam K27 and 4-4-0, wrgs's B'mann K27, and Doc's Connie.

The two K's looked great together.

We also had an opportunity to see Doc's workshop, and some of his projects, past and present.

There was a great deal more which I was so interested in that I forgot to take pictures. Doc's private car is nothing short of amazing. The photos do not do it justice. Wrgs brought a partially completed C25 kitbash which impressed all of us. I look forward to seeing it running, as I know it will be a beauty.

Hopefully, we can do this again in the near future, and each of us will have something new and exciting to share, as well as new people joining in. It was wonderful to spend an afternoon talking trains, watching trains run, and generally enjoying a fellow railroader's company. Thanks again, Doc!

On a personal note, just a few miles up the road from the meet is an old Baptist church which my great-great-Idon'tknowhowmanygreat-grandfather donated the land for back in about 1830, and an old family cemetery right across the road. I had to stop by and take some photos. Who knows, I may just need a model of the church some day!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I Agree, Thanks Doc for being a great host. I don't believe the day could have turned out any better. I enjoyed meeting all of you guys. Like Jeff said , I believe a good day was had by all. Whether running trains, admiring all of Doc's handywork, or just talking with you guys, I had a blast! Speaking of Doc's handywork and modeling skills ! WOW ! I'm impressed!!! Turely a MASTER MODELER. I've been trying to tell my wife about some of Doc's models and describe them to her. Like the little engine and passenger car combo, that a picture of happens to be in the reply from Ken above. Thanks for pictures Ken. A picture truely is worth more than a thousand words. I look forward to getting together again in the future. Thanks again Doc! Bill

G

·
Hey Guys

sorry I missed the run, it looks as though all had a blast...and so much Fn3...Nice!

Maybe next time!

cale Dad ov IV

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First, I would like to thank everyone for showing up and making the first get together of the Western Carolinas' Largescalers a truly memorable one. I had a great time meeting all of you and sharing information and stories. Thanks also for the warm compliments. I know I have a long way to go before my layout is completed, but at least there's enough track down to actually be able to run.

I enjoyed seeing live steam locomotives running on my track. Jeff (K27fireman) brought a K-27 and a beautiful 4-4-0.

Bill (wrgh) had a couple of great looking projects to share and introduced me to DCC. I might seriously look into it.

Ken Rickman had his extremely cute 0-4-0. It looks much better in person. He is doing an excellent job considering it's his first largescale scratch build. It ran great for the first time.

I was amazed to learn that both Bill and Ken are engineers for the Norfolk Southern. I really enjoyed their "real" train stories.

I hope this is only the beginning of many meets. I also hope that word will get out that there are at least a few largescalers in the Western Carolina's area that are anxious to get to share the enjoyment of this hobby.

BTW, there are NO plans to, in any way, formalize this thing. It should remain simply an opportunity for a bunch of guys to get together once in a while and talk shop.

I'd like to thank Ken for taking all those pictures that allow us to share our fun with the rest of you. I also took a few pictures of the event.

The three attendees from left to right are Jeff Sudderth (K27foreman), Ken Rickman (DKRickman), and Bill Hembree (wrgh).

Here is a shot of Jeff getting a good head of steam on his 4-4-0.

Doc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts