G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Catherine, et al. The website is open for registration, NOW! We've got five days of large scale layout tours, BBQ at Sacramento Valley Live Steamers, an ice cream social and train ride aboard Skagit, commemorative Tee shirts and a tour booklet.

Seats are limited for the Skagit, so time's a-wastin'.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
It would be helpful if we knew the general locale of each days tours...so that one could figure out where to get room reservations. The site says "our recommendation is to use the various hotel search websites to find hotels close to each day’s activities." OK...I know the first day is in Redding...sorta. The last day is in Reno...sorta. Both of those areas a spread out. The middle three days are in 11 counties around Sacramento. That's a big area too...and I know folks that think Oroville is "near" Sacramento.

I lean towards staying downtown because I-80 and Rt 50 come together there...on the other hand, it likely means the longest drive to the first tour point each day. Further, there is this remark regarding "it starts each day at the Amtrak station"...huh? What's that about?

Since you live there...and you know where the layout tours are day by day, what would you recommend for a location for a hotel? Can you tell us the general locale or central point of each day of the Sacramento tours...like Roseville, or Rancho Cardova, or Auburn, or Elk Grove?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mike, I tried to answer you yesterday, but my computer was extremely slow and uncooperative. Who knew?

Thursday is in Reno and Berry Creek (east of Oroville). I'd get to Redding on Wednesday, spend the night, then visit the layouts on Thursday and head to Sacramento that afternoon.

If you want to start each day from downtown Sacramento, which the tour book suggests, there are lots of hotels near Amtrak and Old Sacramento, some of which are even reasonable. But you are not required to stay downtown, or start the tours from there. We felt that Amtrak was a recognizable reference. We could just as easily have said "Cal Exp" or the State Capitol. Whatever you do, you might want to start at the furthest layout and work your way back to Sacramento.

Friday and Saturday, you might want to stay in either Folsom or Rancho Cordova, as the evening activities (Skagit ice cream tour and BBQ) on those days are in Folsom and Rancho Cordova.

Sunday evening you might want to spend in Reno. Since it's only about 100 miles east of Sacramento, you could visit the Sunday layouts, then take I-80 to Reno, where there are scores of hotels in ALL price ranges!

Hope this helps, I'll be happy to answer other questions.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How do I add my layout to the convention tour? I am in Sac.
Thanks for your interest, but the deadline for layout submissions was a couple months. Plus, all hosts need to be club members. Have you considered joining us? Membership is quite inexpensive. If nothing else, I hope you'll consider coming to the meet and getting to know some of the other garden railroaders in the Sacramento area.

The tour schedule has been finalized (see http://www.svgrs.org/west-coast-regional-meet) and the booklets have been printed!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts