G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Circle the dates, boys and girls. WCRM 2014 will be June 20 - 24, 2014, in Sacramento, CA, location of the 2003 National Garden Railway Convention.

Planning is getting a late start, but we've got many new layouts (since 2003), and some new ideas about the banquet as well.

Stay tuned for updates. If you've got questions just respond on this location.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
When did Sacremento get moved to the coast?

Just askin' on a slow morn....

John

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the geographically challenged, anything west of Denver is "the Coast." Just as anything in California is either San Franciso or Hollywood.

I'm planning on running trains, and hope folks can find us. GPS helps! But it's not infallible. At Portland last month, Magellen and Tom Tom found every layout, I'm told. Garmin, not so much.

So, Garmins must be geographically (as well as linguistically) challenged.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
I'm betting you are not a native Califorian, are you Dick?
'Cause 'we' natives tend to be more exclusive as our vision stopped at the border.

I hope you guys have great crowds and all your trains stay on the rails.
John

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I keep checking my property on the Colorado River and it still isn't Ocean Front yet.

I will have to see if I can scrap up enough cash to come

JJ

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you've never been to a Regional Meet, I think you'll enjoy it. These started in 1994 in San Diego and occur periodically when the National Garden Railway Convention is east of the Rockies. Since we've had a run of NGRCs in the East, this one in Sacramento will be the third one in a row, and the last one for a few years.

The only expenses (once you've arrived here) are for lodging, meals, and the tour booklet. While we are in the preliminary stages of planning, we are optimistic that one will be able to visit more layouts each day than at other Meets, because ours are fairly close together. Traditionally, on Saturday evening there's a communal feed (an extra expense, but we hope to keep it in the $20 - 25 range), with a wider menu than in the past. That dinner will be at the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers in Rancho Cordova, so that day's tours will be along the Highway 50 corridor, to minimize travel time.

We hope to have a few other surprises too. Stay tuned and ask questions. We're in process of revamping and updating our website to aid in registering etc. Visit it at . And thank you for your support!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm as close to a native as people of my age are. Had Germany not invaded Poland, and Japan not bombed Pearl Harbor, I'd have been born in California. As it was, as soon as Dad mustered out, we got back to California.

But you are correct. It IS necessary to refer to our region in a more generic way, so the rest of the country might not be confused.

Besides, Sacramento is less than 100 miles from the ocean!

·
Registered
214 Posts
We don't live on the coast, but we do live on the west coast! Linguistically "west coast" is a compound word.

I'm very excited to be hosting the west coast meet next year. My layout will be among the many that are open. I'm hoping to complete quite a few improvements between now and then too. I'm already counting down the days... 332 days until Friday, June 20, 2014!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really too soon to have much detail yet. When we get information, it will be on Right now, what we know for sure is that it will be three days == June 20 - 22, 2014, with an optional dinner at the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers' layout in Rancho Cordova on Saturday, June 21.

More layouts than previous West Coast Regional Meets, because ours are closer together. For example, from downtown Sacramento to Folsom (about 20 miles along US 50) we have about half a dozen layouts. In the Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln area perhaps another half dozen. Should be a good show.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Someone in your club contacted us about having layouts in the Redding area open on Thursday for travelers.
So we will probably come up with a few.
Rick

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Marty, that was our monthly "Flyer" editor. Thanks to him, several members of the Shasta Garden Railway Society will be open on the Thursday before the meet. If I'm done with everything else, I'd be tempted to come up and check out how you guys garden railroad. I'll probably still be ballasting and spreading bark/mulch everywhere!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As of yesterday, we have four signed up from the Redding area, and 25 from the Sacramento Area. Plus we've got the location for the Saturday BBQ (Haggin Park in Rancho Cordova, an eastern suburb of Sacramento) plus an ice cream social / train ride Friday evening in Folsom. Booklets will be available after the first of the year.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The meet has expanded: We've got layouts open in Redding on Thursday, June 19, followed by three days of layout tours in the Sacramento area. On Monday, several (number not quite determined) layouts will be open in Reno, NV. Reno is just about 100 miles NE of Sacramento on I-80,

Friday afternoon/evening there will be an ice cream social and train ride in Folsom, just east of Sacramento.
BBQ will be on Saturday with the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers in Hagen Park, Rancho Cordova.

And if that's not enough trains for a long weekend, there's the State RR Museum in Old Sacramento, trolleys in Rio Vista, Lunch/Dinner trains in Woodland, and the Sierra RR in Jamestown, SE of Sacramento in the Sierra foothills.

There may be even more. The web site is . Soon we'll have registration on-line on the site.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Registration Open.

Circle the dates, boys and girls. WCRM 2014 will be June 19 - 23, 2014, in Sacramento, CA, location of the 2003 National Garden Railway Convention.

Over 30 layouts in Northern California and Reno Nevada will be open. There will be ride-on trains at the BBQ, an ice cream social, and lots of surprises.

Register now before some of the events sell out! Go online to {http://www.svgrs.org}

We look forward to seeing you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like tons of fun. Much better information about what to expect. I'll save my money and go West Coast instead of East Coast show, which seems non-existent

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe my browser is not working right, but what i see is:

The web site is . Soon we'll have registration on-line on the site.

So ... what's the web site? I want to go!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Redding to Reno. Now that is a regional meet. Wish I could make it, since I was raised in the Bay Area, a short 120 miles from Sac. I mentioned trains, wife mentioned Med. cruise, needless to say the cruise won. Have a great time, it sounds like you will have a great meet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts