G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Taken by Chris parry of one of the test trains in the Aberglaslyn pass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisparry/sets/72157604392087232

I like the Welsh Dragon flag on the side of the diesel!

Enjoy, we haven't space for scenery like this on our layouts!

A final amusement - the cut through solid rock tunnels had (as a result of Health & Safety requirements) to be lined with Shotcrete - blown on cement.

That lasted till the first garratt loco went through when the loose stuff was dislodged, and landed all over the horizontal parts of the loco! The crew were not amused at all!

It reminded me of the exploits of UP844, working hard through the some tunnels on one of its trips; the diesels behind came out in a delicate shade of old soot color!

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures, Peter. Looks as if that is going to be quite a ride when the entire line is put into service. Are they now running trains regularly on the part which has been completed?

Llyn

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Llyn,

The completed and in use part of the line is about half of the entire route; that runs from the towen of Caernrfon to Rhydd Dhu which is close to the mountain of Snowdon, which is the highest in Wales. The rest is almost complete with regard to tracklaying. Then it needs to be tamped and have trains run on it to finish off the job. That is the job of the test trains.

That last half has to be opened in one go, by orders of the Snowdonia National Park, through whose land it runs.

That is because the road to the tourist trap of Beddgelert is the principal station (depot) on the rest of the route. That will if opened to there be used by families with dad driving to Beddgelert, and the rest of the family by train, thus saving some money - NOT the intention at all! Thus the restriction, and Beddgelert has only a very small car park area (due to its topography, for its popularity.

So next year the rest will open, and on time. The there will be trough 10 or 12 coach trains all the way(Carenarfon to Porthmadog), and change for Blaneau Ffestiniog = 40 miles), and shuttle trains to Beddgelert; that is for the tourist trade, and will be run by a smaller organization called Welsh Highland (Porthmadog)Ltd, and they will use their vintage trains = small carriages, and smaller engines. The main line trains are all new corridor open salons, and will use the Beyer-Garrets.

Beddgelert is about a 1/3rd of the total distance, from Porthmadog.

The scenery is spectacular, and the hope is that tourists will use the train(s) instead of cars. I know what the local roads are like - the best description is that they were built for horses, and still are the same size!

Does this sound like a 'plug' for the area - well I suppose it does, but I do not live there; I have a holiday home nearby and know the area, so I would not say it is, it just means that I know a bit more about the area, and its attractions!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts