G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Modulator
21,798 Posts
hmm... with unlevel track, nothing will work well.... track is the foundation of your layout.... you cannot find some gravel?

·
Registered
232 Posts
A guy has to start some place....!!!
I'd suggest you would be better starting, with a lot more RESEARCH....which is free. Asking people is fine, but you have to discover what you want out of the railroad, and learn something about "Railroading" as a transportation industry, before you can really, successfully, start enjoying the hobby, and asking others for help "MODEL RAILROADING" out in the garden.
It would also be nice to give us a name, so we can address you properly, and a general location where you live.
Thank you for asking...I'm sure some will gladly help if you do a bit of research on your own first.
Fred Mills

·
Registered
currently obtaining track, and rolling stock
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guy has to start some place....!!!
I'd suggest you would be better starting, with a lot more RESEARCH....which is free. Asking people is fine, but you have to discover what you want out of the railroad, and learn something about "Railroading" as a transportation industry, before you can really, successfully, start enjoying the hobby, and asking others for help "MODEL RAILROADING" out in the garden.
It would also be nice to give us a name, so we can address you properly, and a general location where you live.
Thank you for asking...I'm sure some will gladly help if you do a bit of research on your own first.
Fred Mills
ok so one i just got my first proper locomotive today two i live in seattle in the state of washington and three my name is kaedmon

·
Super Modulator
21,798 Posts
Don't mind Friar Fred, he's got a one track mind about names.... he gets grumpy.... he comes from another forum where you cannot even tell an April Fools joke...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are the driver treads nice and clean, or do they look like they have a thin coat of black paint?

Greg
we want to run battery power cause running track power early on is expensive and we ain't running track power unless its more economical

·
Super Modulator
21,798 Posts
Actually track power is more economical.... running from DC and a power pack always cheaper than buying batteries, charger and r/c system.

Greg

·
Super Modulator
21,798 Posts
so, you are jumping about...

priorites:
  1. remote control via bluetooth
  2. overall cost
Is that the priority order?

(I would not go bluetooth outdoors due to limited range... but if your layout won't get really large it is ok. many other wireless options).

One of the most common issues people have making the "right" decision is that the priority of a feature changes almost every time there is a conversation.

Thinking through your priorities, setting them in priority order makes decisions easy.

Not keeping or having priorities makes a whirling cloud of indecision.

Greg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so, you are jumping about...

priorites:
  1. remote control via bluetooth
  2. overall cost
Is that the priority order?

(I would not go bluetooth outdoors due to limited range... but if your layout won't get really large it is ok. many other wireless options).

One of the most common issues people have making the "right" decision is that the priority of a feature changes almost every time there is a conversation.

Thinking through your priorities, setting them in priority order makes decisions easy.

Not keeping or having priorities makes a whirling cloud of indecision.

Greg
well one priority is ablity to run articulated locomotives like Garratts and Mallets

·
Super Modulator
21,798 Posts
1. bluetooth control (I would not limit myself to bluetooth)
2. cost (how about a budget?)
3. run articulated locos (so you need wide radius curves and what about that budget?

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts