G Scale Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes as we age we all slow down. But, at the end of the day it's all about health. Of course we all have more aches and pains but if the Good Lord made us fortunate enough to were we have no catastrophic illness (And believe me, I know it can happen at any time) then I say keep going for it. I do understand that sizing down can make good sense though, but keep trying to do your hobbies as long as possible. My friend Art is 85 and walks up to my track carrying his Aster Challenger all the time. Try to eat a little better and get a little exercise, it makes a big difference when we are older. That being said anyone can kick the bucket at anytime so try to enjoy every minute.

What a great time if you are young and getting into this hobby. Tons of great stuff on the market going at great prices because of all of this. Sad fact is that most young people could care less about any of the hobbies we like. I know there are exceptions.

I guess I'm also trying to lighten up this thread a little. 馃殏馃檪馃殏
Hi Steve! Long time, no type. :D

I don't know how things took such a downward (morbid?), turn. I'm not at all sick (and never said I was). It's true that, at 70, my legs are weaker than they once were, but that's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I'm just trying to be practical. Besides, if I'm not running the stuff anymore, why keep it? I can understand guys keeping stuff they still run. I can also understand people keeping their stuff simply because they love their stuff and don't want to part with it. More power to both groups. I simply made a different choice. :)

Registered
Hi Dwight,
Though we have not been in contact for several years, I still remember the days when we had thanksgiving parties and a steam-up at your place in Milpitas. After your move to the "South" unfortunately we have never met again. Meanwhile things have changed on my side too. Last year my family and I decided I should move back to Germany. Though I live in an appartment now I my workshop is better than ever with a laser and a CNC mill. My trains have followed me in a container. Most of the stuff goes to my eldest son, who wants to build a garden railway after giving up flying (sounds familiar?), my granddaughter keeps one loco with her name on, my 1:20.3 Climax was donated to a guy with not too much money but a nice logging layout. I kept Betsy, the Guinness, the rack loco and my Hit & Miss critter. But like you I am going back to my roots and work on HOm/HOn2 stuff.
Ex-donkey doctor of the EDH lumber company.

Premium Member
Hi Steve! Long time, no type. :D

I don't know how things took such a downward (morbid?), turn. I'm not at all sick (and never said I was). It's true that, at 70, my legs are weaker than they once were, but that's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I'm just trying to be practical. Besides, if I'm not running the stuff anymore, why keep it? I can understand guys keeping stuff they still run. I can also understand people keeping their stuff simply because they love their stuff and don't want to part with it. More power to both groups. I simply made a different choice. :)
Hello Dwight. I guess when it comes to this getting older stuff,......................I'm still in denial. 馃槑

Premium Member
Hi everybody! Dwight reminds me that I really should be thinking more about what to do with my stuff. I will be 83 next month but still have my RR. I am currently building a new church for it, the Presbyterian church in Lake City CO. I like building as much as running. I have plans for a number of other buildings that will probably never get done but it is fun just to dream. My 2 most exciting builds were my live steam Mason Bogie based on David Fletcher's plans

and The Alvarado hotel.

At 75 I hiked across the Grand Canyon but now a 2 miles in the hills around my house a couple of times a week is about all I manage.
Dwight, Thank you for all that you have done for this site. You have been an inspiration to me for many years.

Registered
I don't post a lot here, but I check it frequently. I'm also just a casual steamer because I suffer from "hobbyitis" and have too many different interests with only so much time/space/funds to be more than a committed dabbler. But I've gone to the National Summer Steam Up since about 2006 and absolutely loved it. I look forward to it each year. That's the only time and place that I really run my modest steamers. I'm finally in a place with a patio big enough where building a portable layout is in the cards. (one inspired by the one that you built Dwight!) But out of necessity, it's down the to do list a bit.

At 53, I'm not young, but all my hobbies involve folks and friends that are typically in their late 60's to mid-80s. As they "age out" there isn't a lot of younger people waiting in line to become involved. I don't personally know too many of who were the regulars when I first started attending the NSS, but I sure have noticed not seeing many of them at the past couple of them, and even though I can't call them my friends, it is felt and noticed.

In the past with nearly all my major hobbies (old Studebakers, vintage tube radios, EM pinball machines form the 1950's, British motorcycles, and old Italian scooters being the main ones) there seems to have been periods of a "membership drive" where there's an almost panicked effort to try to recruit younger folks into the hobby, but I've never seen anything in that arena have any real sustained success. So there is a little bit of sadness on my part feeling like on a number of fronts I'm experiencing activities and pastimes that are in, if not the absolute twilight of their existence, well past the halcyon days. I don't think my hobbies will ever go away completely - gauge one live steam included- but I do think that they will become very small and more difficult to do as parts sources dry up and there isn't enough economy of scale to reproduce new parts/pieces/models.

That said, I will enjoy Gauge One live steam as long as possible and continue to attend the National Summer Steam Up as long as it exists. All the best to each of you, and thanks for making the hobby as rich as it has been.

Dean Seavers
Sacramento,CA

Premium Member
Let's not get too depressed....70 is the new 40!

My approach is to push myself even harder as I approach 70. I reason that there is still so much that I want to do in the reducing time I have left on this earth that I might as well keep going flat out until I drop. I just got my commercial pilot license even though I am far too old to get a job in the industry - it was simply something I had always wanted to do and semi-retirement gave me the time to do it.

Ironically I think of my trains as the hobby I will still have when other things slow down. I just built a train shed close to the track to encourage me to run them more often - it wasn't so much getting the engines to the track as the rolling stock - now I can set up in the shed and roll them right out onto the track. My wife is also pleased that my stockpile of denatured alcohol is no longer in the garage....

Robert

Registered
Dwight, we heard everything you said. Maybe that's the problem.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.