G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Nation Garden RR convention coming in 2011, I decided it was time to
get busy. We model 20.3 with finescale wheels so I need a reliable roadbed. I decided
the best method I've seen that done was post and ladder for main and Richard Smith's
table benchwork where towns will be. I have about a acre to build it on with about 16
feet of elevation difference. My minimum radius will be 12 feet (24 feet diameter),
less than 2% grades with the exception of about 70' of 4%, that will be helper or
double the hill section. The rr is a few hundred feet from the house, so I set up a
portable shop at the site.

Here is how I do the ladder. I had about 100 pieces of 4" cedar siding, from 8' to 18'
long given to me. I rip it to 2 1/2" wide. I will use that on the curves and cut my own
for the other sections.

\

Rodney

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Rod,

A great looking site you have there. Nothing like plenty of elbow room! :) You've got almost as many battery power tools as I do. hehe!

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Rod

A good start on a major project.

Your standards are not too far off my own ... all elevated track, min radius 10 foot though most are larger, max 1.5% grade but most is level ... I too run Fn3 and have found operation on these standards to be trouble free.

Your version of the ladder is interesting - and it appears you will get the free flowing curves with transitions that are the hallmark of this method. I assume you will use flaxtrack to take full advantage of those sweeping curves?

Could you publish a proposed trackplan and a bit of detail on your design goals?

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
With all the "toys" you got in that first picture makes one wonder are you building a rail road or starting a gravel pit.

Looks like a great begining. Keep posting pictures

See you at Marty's

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
That is looking great Rodney! Is that pink foam you have for the roadbed?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
So why did you build it so far from me? :D

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By Richard Smith on 09/22/2008 12:54 AM
Rod,
A great looking site you have there. Nothing like plenty of elbow room! :)" border=0> You've got almost as many battery power tools as I do. hehe!

Richard,
I think your wrong with the tools. I have 9 drills alone, and everything in the Craftsman
19.2 volt line and a few other things.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Posted By Dougald on 09/22/2008 5:25 AM
Rod
A good start on a major project.
Your standards are not too far off my own ... all elevated track, min radius 10 foot though most are larger, max 1.5% grade but most is level ... I too run Fn3 and have found operation on these standards to be trouble free.
Your version of the ladder is interesting - and it appears you will get the free flowing curves with transitions that are the hallmark of this method. I assume you will use flaxtrack to take full advantage of those sweeping curves?
Could you publish a proposed trackplan and a bit of detail on your design goals?
Regards ... Doug

Doug,
The trackplan is in my head, but I will try to get one drawn up and posted hopefully before I
head up to Marty's.
I'm using AMS code 250 flex with my own built turnouts
The part that is in the pictures is the end of a dogbone. From the two tables the two line will come down to about 5 feet apart and run parallel to each other to the top of the hill, about 1000 feet of track later where the other end of the dogbone will be. Concrete mountains
will be a viewblock between the two lines
I'm modeling DRGW around 1944. As for the Colorado scenery, I'm going to use Dennis's
(denray on the forum) idea that he had a how to tread on.
http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/9/postid/37566/view/topic/Default.aspx
I'm going to model a line that never was, Ridgeway Co to Creede Co.
I have a Berlyn K-36 and K-37, Accucraft K-28 and just ordered a Bachman K-27. This winter
I want to build 2 C-19s from scratch.

Jim,
Yes, Its stryofoam.
Rodney

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Rod

An ambitious undertaking for sure. Your roadbed looks like it will be substantial enough so that with the careful construction your photos show, you should have the smooth track needed to run your stable of locos without trouble.

I would like to see your trackplan (even if it is after you return from Marty's) and as well see some ramblings on the goals and desires that you have. Am also very interested in your "scenery" especially as it is not the traditional garden that most of us use.

Sorry that I will not be at Marty's this year - I did enjoy meeting and chatting with you in previous years at Marty's annual meets. As an aside, do you still have a huge N scale layout as well to absorb your time?

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
A great looking start. A thousand feet to the end,wow!! You said an acre, must be a long skinny acre. Keep posting.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Posted By CCSII on 09/21/2008 10:10 PM
Looking great and you are close enough that I might actually be able to see it in person someday!

If you or anybody else are going to be in the area, drop me a e-mail in advance and I will be happy for you to see it.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stan,
Thanks

Doug,
Got too busy to do a trackplan. Will try again this weekend and go in length with goals.

I laid 120' of track today, but it got too dark to take any photos. Will post this weekend when I get home from work.

Rodney

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Hey Rodney, How is MRS Rodney's knee healing? I hope she is doing fine.

Can't you get some help with your layout from the BIG STONE COTTAGE that levenworth is noted for?

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JJ,
Kristi is doing great. She has been off the crutches since Wednesday.

Would be nice if I could recruit some of the inmates to help build the RR.

Rodney

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Heres is the maiden trip around what I have done.

This is one end of the dogbone. The table in the background is the bottom of the grade.

This is one end of the RR Creede, with this loop for continuous running.

Just about around the loop

Coming into Ridgeway

Leaving Ridgeway

Headed up the grade.

Here is a view of what I have done thus far

Still trying to draw up a track plan.

Rodney

1 - 20 of 39 Posts