G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
I received my Model Works 1:20.3 brass ditcher from Jon Kline ( Thanks Jon, great installation) about a month ago with all the R/C equipment installed. It operated on our modular layout, Sundance Central, at our last show of 2007 which was in Tampa, FL. I also wanted to add sound to the ditcher so I ordered a sound board from ITT and a battery from Battery Space. I installed the battery and sound board in the water tank and mounted a 2" speaker under the roof.
I also wanted to weather the ditcher to bring out all the wonderful detail of this model, so I disassembled it into the various pieces.
The thread that represents the wire rope from the various drums appeared to be to small. So, I changed all the thread to a heavier brownish colored thread  (representing rusted wire on the rope). I added decal lettering for the sign boards on the roof that I had Stan Cedarleaf do for me. (Thanks Stan, great decals as always!)
The entire model was air-brushed with engine black, except for the wheels and couplers which received roof brown. All the detail work for the entire model was then brought to life by dry brushing with various paint colors. After all the weathering was completed, I air-brushed all the pieces with dull cote before re-assembling. I added rolled roofing material to roof in 30" (1-1/2") wide strips.
Once the model was back together I checked to make sure everything still operated and we have sound. I added some other details to model, like rolled-up tarps on each side of the cab, water hose from the water tank, coal in bin, coal shovel, roof hatch cover, operator Frank and his side kick, Ditcher the dog (of course)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif. 
I 've attached a few photos for you viewing pleasure. :cool: Enjoy!
Richard
Sundance Central Modular Railroad

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Absolutely beautiful!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Lovely, Richard! Great stuff! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif Wow!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree, beautiful work. Well thought out and executed.

Ted.

·
Registered
128 Posts
 Awesome job Richard, You do great work!  Can you explain how you made the rolled up tarps?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the great feedback.
The tarps are made using single ply plain white paper towels cut to the size needed. Just paint both sides with acrylic paint (your color choice) and let dry. After they are dry, just wad them up in a ball and then unravel. I then do a light mist overspray of flat black and/or drak gray. Next roll them up using a small dowel. Remove the dowel and you have a rolled-up tarp. The tarps on the ditcher were glued to the roof edge with white glue. I added the straps by cutting some thin vinyl into strips and painting it brown. Glue them in place and added a brass wire bent into a buckle shape and then added the other part of the strap.
Richard

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
WOW! Great work! I really like the peeled back metal exposing the wood underneath.

G

·
0 Posts
WOW, We look forward to seeing this unit in operation in a few weeks in Perry!

cale and clan;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
That model is absolutely incredible! Wonderful job! As always..... :)  ;)

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bubba,
The ditcher was manufactured by Car Works Model Co. and I bought it from Electric Model Works, who is one of MLS's forum sponsor.
Richard

1 - 20 of 35 Posts