G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News Flash:
Kader Industries (owner of Bachmann) has just been given clearance to purchase Sanda Kan (make Aristo and USA stuff, among others).

"An agreement has been reached allowing model railroad manufacturer Kader Manufacturing Trust to purchase Sanda Kan Industrial, according to industry sources.

Hong-Kong headquartered Kader owns the Bachmann, Williams, Bachmann Branchline, Graham Farish, Liliput and Bachmann China brands and manufactures products for them at its facility in China's Guandong province. Sanda Kan, also based in Hong Kong, manufactures model trains and accessories at several facilities in mainland China and has made items for Athearn, Atlas, Hornby, Life-Like, Lionel, Marklin, and Walthers, among others.

According to industry sources, Kader views the acquisition more as a merger of the two companies, with Sanda Kan operating as a separate entity and retaining its current management."

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
There goes the neighbor hood.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Well, one part of the press release/trains story doesn't make any sense: "Kader views the acquisition more as a merger of the two companies, with Sanda Kan operating as a separate entity and retaining its current management." If Sanda Kan is going to retain current management and operate as a separate entity (probably a wholly-owned sub), than the deal is definitely not "more" of a merger/consolidation. In a merger, the target loses its identity and is subsumed into the buyer.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Posted By jlinde on 11/14/2008 3:07 PM
Well, one part of the press release/trains story doesn't make any sense: "Kader views the acquisition more as a merger of the two companies, with Sanda Kan operating as a separate entity and retaining its current management." If Sanda Kan is going to retain current management and operate as a separate entity (probably a wholly-owned sub), than the deal is definitely not "more" of a merger/consolidation. In a merger, the target loses its identity and is subsumed into the buyer.

Looks like a bit of "spin" to me.
The merger leaves exactly how many producers of quality made scale model trains?

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
The merger leaves exactly how many producers of quality made scale model trains?

The exact same number as before the merger.

Keith

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
a merger of the two companies

I would assume the original press release was in Chinese, so the meaning may not have survived the translation!

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Posted By Cougar Rock Rail on 11/14/2008 3:13 PM

The exact same number as before the merger.

Keith

If you believe that I have a big bridge in Sydney I could sell you.

I had better re-phrase that as I cannot imagine Bachmann allowing their "merged" acquisitions to carry on doing whatever they want without any supervision from HO.

So, how many independent entities will there be producing scale model trains?

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Hey, this could potentially be good for Bachmann fans in an ENTIRELY different light - maybe now Bachmann might include something other their existing rust-prone
steel track in their complete Large-Scale train sets!
Who knows- maybe we might see a line of "Spectrum" high-quality track & turnouts develop!
(Of course, this could just be "wishful thinking" on my part, too!
). Tom

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Hey Tony, I think you may have missed my point. The reason I said the count of quality producers wouldn't change following the merger is because I didn't think these two would have been counted in the first place!

As for your revised question, I think they'll keep them independent...just that the price fixing will all be internalized now.
Geez I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Keith

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Cougar Rock Rail on 11/14/2008 4:35 PM
Hey Tony, I think you may have missed my point. The reason I said the count of quality producers wouldn't change following the merger is because I didn't think these two would have been counted in the first place!

As for your revised question, I think they'll keep them independent...just that the price fixing will all be internalized now.
Geez I'm getting cynical in my old age.

Keith

I think everyone got your point. Did someone beat you over the head with a RS-3 or something?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Keith I did say quality model trains. I did not say quality Large Scale model trains.

The Chinese can make really high quality stuff if the importers are prepared to pay for it.

G

·
0 Posts
Doom comes to mind....... can get what they want for the stuff now
As for Bmann with different track in the box you got to be joking! If they was to add real track cost goes up!!!! And the prices are were now?
Toad

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
No, I'm going to have to disagree. Bachmann has needed to get rid of that cheap, tin-plate, crappy track for over a decade! Ever since they produced a Spectrum locomotive that was incapable of running on their track they have given the nod to LGB and Aristo/USA solid brass track. I actually hope they do substitute brass track for that tin-plate junk! Even if the price goes up it would be worth it in the long run!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
COULD Bmann supply us with spare parts first bevore they start mods to their#$%^& Y Track???

#1313 Lotsasteam(only in spring #summer)

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Ha ha! Sorry Brian. No, it wasn't an RS-3, it was one too many wiring crows nests, and one too many old Pacific gearboxes. I've got hair thin wire and end-play burned into my mind forever. :)

Keith

1 - 20 of 63 Posts