G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a section of my layout and I have pulled up a some track. The track has been outside for 2 years and is rather dirty. I use track power. Does anyone know if there is some reason not to wash brass LGB track in the dish washer?

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I would think you wash the track off with a hose to know off any rocks and thing that may have stuck in the under side of the track. Don't think the dish washer would handle the debris that well. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I think my wife would kill me if I done that. Just take a stiff brush and rail cleaner. easier on those 5ft sections.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
The Mrs would be the main impediment, I think. But the length of the sections might be a problem too.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
I hose down used track outdoors and then place what will fit in the dishwasher. If it can take the hot Arizona sun, cold New England winters, then it can be placed in the dishwaasher.
I do LGB cars also as long as they have the electronics removed.

No harm was ever done to these items by my dishwasher.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By Joe Mascitti on 03/14/2009 7:29 PM
Take the kitchen out and make it a train room...

NO NO NO leave it all there . Think of all those nice cabnets and shelves to store you train stuff in....Plus that think that makes things cold is great to store beer in. Drill a hole in the door add one of those tap thingy Remove the shelves from the inside and put in a keg.

·
Premium Member
6,837 Posts
Drill a hole in the door add one of those tap thingy

One of my wife's colleagues was a beer fan, and he did just that - except his tap was mounted on top of a small counter-height 'cold thingy'.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are the results:
one pile of dirty track

A little detail

14 r3 curves up top

some 600mm and 300mm below

2 hours latter

the results:
The ties look new, the track is not shinny but has no grime that can be removed.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
PS The new book cleaning track for dummies states that 4 and 5 foot track should not be folded for washing in the dishwasher!!! It is OK to remove the ties and just get them washed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.