G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have started building a brick warehouse that will distribute produce to the chain grocery stores in the southern market. It will be supplied with goods shipped by train from the west coast.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Rudy Allarde
Indian Springs, AL

G

·
0 Posts
judging by your roundhouse, it will be a pleasure to observe your advance on this new project.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Progress pictures:

This warehouse will serve as storage for the grocery trucks, forklifts, and personnel. Therefore, the flat roof will be hinged, slightly pitched backwards and have large overhangs.

Regards,
Rudy Allarde
Indian Springs, AL

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Looking good Rudy. How'd you make that vynal slat door cover? How about a close up on those awning supports?The lines on this are great, really capture the flavor of the business.

Dave

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
what material do you use for the brick work and could you explain how you get the brick to go around the corner without any seams showing?

How would you join two sheets of brick siding without showing seams?

Your buildings are an inspiration to all of us.

John

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Rudy, your warehouse looks great! Can you provide a close up picture of those rods that hold up the overhang? And how did you make them?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Another handsome structure Rudy. I really like the style of the building as well as the utilization of the space inside for storage. I hope you'll show the hinging arangement for the roof and how you "waterproofed" it.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Now thats a good looking structure...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your comments.

The support rods are 1/8" dowels. I drill diagonal 3/16" holes through the awning and wall. (drill through scrap wood to find correct angle). Thread the dowels through the holes and glue/clamp the awning to the wall. Secure awning with a lot of brads. ( awning?, overhang?, what is the proper name for it? ). Apply glue to dowel holes and trim off excess. Dress top end of rod with pieces of styrene strips; may do the same to the bottom ends but that will make it too noisy. They really do not provide support at all.
The vinyl slat door curtains are cut from a scrapbooking Craft Keeper ( Michaels $1.99).. it is thick enough to use for window glazing, I think.

The brick work: Large Brick Display Mat, (Lemax, 18"x36" roll, $5 a roll at Michaels after Xmas 70% off sale). Very tough but pliable material, impervious to water. Easy to cut straight and to coapt with another piece by just following the grout lines. Can't wait to see what the sun will do to it, but the material is very easy to paint if necessary.

Here is a 1:24 dude (Train-Li $1) against the brick wall. Also shown, a painted brick strip.

The roof: 1/2" plywood, 4 coats of porch/floor enamel, then Valspar Stone texture spray. Later, clear coat. Also, awaiting roof vents and other roof clutter.

Piano hinge. A few trial and error screws to make a tight fit.

Weather stripping at front edge.

Regards.
Rudy Allarde
Indian Springs, AL

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Rudy, Looks really good. Thanks for the close ups and the answers. Really like your creativity and your eye for appeal.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Rudy, thanks for the additional photos and info. Another great building! Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
What a great looking building and a storage box to boot.....
I bought several rolls of that brick at a after Christmas sale at Michaels because it was cheap....now I know what to use it for....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts