G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
At the beginning?

All kidding aside, there are a lot of factors that go into building a trestle. How long? How high? Is it level or on a grade? Is it straight or on a curve? Some of the most basic questions. Best recommendation is to search this forum and the other large scale fourm Large Scael Central www.largescalecentral.com. Both locations have threads on building trestles. Doing some prototype research will also assist in understanding what goes into building a trestle.

You can also search the hobby press for drawings of trestles, there have been some over the years. My first hunt would be Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman have also done some over the years. I know Model Railroader and NG&SLG both have/had DVDs available of back issues that would be a world of help.

Generally speaking, materials need to be along the lines of Redwood, Cedar, or pressure treated if building outdoors. Keep in mind we are building a RAILROAD in the outdoors, so we experience the same weather/time degradation the prototypes do, sometimes accelerated by the smaller scale.

Good luck and happy railroading!

·
Registered
554 Posts
First thing I did when I started my trestle was to buy a template. Not sure if Black Bear hobby is still open but it made things much easier. I used redwood fence slats cut down to size and other than small repairs. I live in southern Arizona so UV is a major factor, but larger pieces, bents, are still standing.
Have fun Mine is a bit over 100' long with 14" rise. don't rush :)

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
want to build a G gauge trestle not big where do i start ?
Well you can start by making or buying a form to make the vents. I do know for a fact that Robby @ RLD Hobbies just got three different size forms to build the vents for trestle. From Small to Large. I used them several times, because his collection was sold after he passed away. They are very nice forms. Use a form get your wood and use glue and a brad nailer !

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I built my trestle I had an old copy of John Armstrong’s bridge and trestle handbook. John had very detailed drawings and pictures. Sadly it’s out of print. I had bought mine in 1980 when I was working on n scale. This year I built 37’ timber trestle out of oak. Cedar and red wood are to expensive in my part of the country. I don’t like cutting and sanding pressure treated wood inside my shop. I put 2 coats of stain on it and it looks good. Good luck and have fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts