G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've dove into it yet again and after being in a new house for a year with no trains ive started a new railroad, this time dubbed the Walnut Creek R.R.

Just like the previous RR I built ( Scenic View and Lehigh Valley West) I'll keep the thread here and one on Aristos forum, updated with new pictures and building progress.

For this build I'm going completely with concrete for my roadbed which ill top off again with screenings that i had used on the previous R.R. Credit goes to Mr. Cozad for harassing me enough to do it this way. Its a pain sometimes but being we have a concrete business on the side I have nice bendable plastic forms( which youll see in my shots) that ill use for the whole build.

See updated pics at the bottom!!

Where that little pile of grass is on the below picture is roughly where it will curve back around and go back past the shed.....its sort of an L shape layout.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dave.....that fence was just put in last weekend, especially for the trains to keep people OUT that arent supposed to be there....I should hopefully have time in November to work on it depending on temperatures....id like to get all the roadbed in before winter so i can lay track whenever but we will see.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
woow Kev, cool
just remember to leave room for the law mower to get around. In your situation that road bed will work well.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted By NTCGRR on 10/19/2008 5:52 PM
woow Kev, cool
just remember to leave room for the law mower to get around. In your situation that road bed will work well.

Im actually going to get rid of the grass inside the track and on the outside will be another one or two foot of mulch. I'll chip the grass away after all the roadbed is in as thats another **** of a project in itself. It should start coming together well in Spring....

G

·
Hey Kevin,
I think your going to need wider curves than that to handle the Macs no? im very interested to see how the concrete rd bed holds up up here in the northeast!!!thanks for posting

Nick...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick,

I figure more or less Marty and I are in the same climate so what he sees for the most part I should see......its reinforced as well as there is rebar buried in the middle to keep it together.

The MAC should handle the curves fine....the pic looks decieving but all my curves are Aristo 20 footers....biggest you can get without bendin 'em yourself

More pics coming when i work on it next. I'll need to get another pallet of Quikcrete to keep going and thats a few weeks away at this point

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Yea Concrete Road bed. Greatist idea since Cross Ties.

Lawn Mowers? Yea I remember those. Used one once. Yea now that I think of it I remember Snow Shovels Used them too. Been a long time though.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some more progress pics from today. Next section thats formed will be poured next weekend. 1st pour got its track put together today so thats done. Mulch and finish ballast coming prolly in a few weeks on the first sections...

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I like how it meanders around the property. Like it's actually going somewhere.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pics from todays work: About another 25 foot or so of concrete is in now. Also placed in a Garden Metal Models bridge into a curve section. I will need the hole in that space for drainage purposes. After running a battery powered train thru that area it looks like a great photo shot as I've super-elevated the track a bit in this area.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well we poured twice this weekend and we now have the entire main loop complete! Ran quite a few times around as well and checked some clearances on bridges and all seems well. Now we are onto the landscaping end of this project which will begin this week with me cutting out flowerbeds on the outer side of the concrete. Then we lay down mulch and finally ballast where the tracks are to finish it off.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Sorry to be the one to have to tell you Kevin but the snow is gone you can put the plow away he he he track is coming along great you should be complete soon No????????

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah nick lol gotta read!!!

I had the plow on it to check width clearance on the bridge. Needed to make sure the widest car I had would make it on there along with normal cars like my intermodals and the Evans cars...

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Kevin looks good.
that form material looks like it ways some following the ground??? I take it that you leveled it or string lined it straight?? and side to side?
I did not see, what is the name of the form material?? It bends great but sags some??

BTY don't forget to remove srews and add exspantion joints on them straights.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Kevin
That looks great. Glad to see you are making such progress. That Building with the flower boxes under the windows....Can we saftly assume that it is "THE TRAIN SHOP"?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marty,

It was leveled via a stringline that i pre-ran. I wanted to keep to the ground contour as well if i could so there are some elevation changes ( granted it aint like the old RR!!!) leveled the forms out side to side then too. Theres room for expansion on the track as well as I did remove some of the screws as well.

John,

That is the Train Shop most definitely!! Has a 20 foot each track, 6 track yard in there that I will eventually run to a hole to be cut in the side of the shed once im done with the core layout. The sidings I have #6 switches out for will be added after I do the mulch in the inner part. Then I'll put the 4 car coal siding, warehouse siding ( about 10 foot long) and then run the line to the hole to be added to the shed.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did some running today to see how long my siding was and if it would fit my Intermodal train in it. Well it does.......with about 5 cars left to spare for it..hahaha

Anyways heres the pics. I may have to do something about my bridge as its not exactly the best clearance width wise. Might have the need to seperate trains and not have them on the bridge. I may build another sub-yard off the siding somewhere in the future for car storage since I have an extra #6 or two laying around but thats down the road!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts