G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Massoth just introduced a new battery direct controller, for use with their wireless navigator hand controller!  It allows you to control your decoder directly via navigator without the need for a central station when using battery power--very cool!  I don't think the manual is online yet, but it should be a real step forward for all of us, whether track power or battery.  It should be excellent for controlling live steamers, trackside operating features or trains with the navigator.  Another very cool item shown at the Nurnberg toy fair is a wireless feedback module--this should also prove to be a big step forward for DCC.  All the new items are now posted on their website:

http://www.massoth.com/index.en.html

Keith

·
Super Modulator
20,781 Posts
Sounds like a neat add on.

But it won't bother Lewis a bit, the Massoth market is WAY different than the Aristo market. There is a huge difference in price between the two. They are just not competition to each other at all.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Sound to me (with no investment yet in ANY sytem) that it would be more comeptetion for Airwire?

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is definitely direct competition for Airwire, and given that Massoth is 100% NMRA compatible, should be stiff competition for them.
It seems to me it should be stiff competition for any of the battery r/c guys, including RCS and the new Aristo system, at least for those who want to use all the functions that DCC is capable of. No matter how you slice it, it's opened up a whole new set of possibilities for functionality, which is good for the hobby.

Keith

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
As for competition, it depends on what features are available and what the final cost is. Massoth seems to be one of the most expensive DCC systems out there. Time, pricing and features will tell the story.

I keep seeing comments about AirWire not being exactly NMRA compatible. Since the DCC is only intended to to run sound systems, lighting decoders and other onboard function decoders and it seems to do that very well, who cares about minor timing errors.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Guys,

I do not know about the timing error.. A friend runs a USA Trains NW-2, has a Digitrax decoder with a Booster 10 that is driven by the DCC output from the AirWire receiver.. Every thing works fine.. He also has a Aristo-Craft Dash 9 with a QSI decoder & it works too..

BulletBob

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 02/06/2009 7:18 PM
Not for nothing but, who gives a rats butt what Lewis thinks!!!!!

Obviously, you do!

-Brian

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
This new item from Massoth controls any NMRA decoder. It does not have decoder functions its self. You use a Navigator, wire this device between your onboard battery and a decoder of your choice. I has two wires in and two wires out. Retail will be around $165 I have a picture loaded in my MLS web space but don't know how to post it here.

·
Super Modulator
20,781 Posts
I agree, now that it's clear that it's not a specialized cab, but a wireless receiver. As an add on, it's inexpensive and easy.

Did you see the new NCE wireless cab? Same idea, works a wireless cab on an NCE system and also directly controls a QSI ($130) or AirWire receiver.

That's an even cheaper solution, since the NCE throttle is around $200, and the Massoth is what, $400?

Anyway, nice to see new options for lots of people.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,781 Posts
Well, just went to the site to check prices, the Navigator cab is $363. The Gwire receiver from QSI is about $80 street price, and this Massoth unit seems about the same function, so it's pretty pricey at double the price, but nothing from Massoth is inexpensive.

Alll that said, these ideas are pretty cool, opens up more upgrade avenues for people getting started. Many people balk at a DCC system, but not at a single handheld cab.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,781 Posts
Uhhh.... huh?

the title of the thread is "Wait until Lewis sees this!" .......

Lewis is the president of Aristo....

That is the competition that was mentioned as the topic of the thread.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By altterrain on 02/06/2009 8:18 PM
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 02/06/2009 7:18 PM
Not for nothing but, who gives a rats butt what Lewis thinks!!!!!

Obviously, you do!

-Brian

NOT!!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Greg, I think lownote was agreeing with you - the competition is betwix airwire and massoth not massoth and aristo "as mentioned" (by your good self) despite the thread title...this is a radio i/f for dcc as you and several others have pointed out. Lewis isn't going to give two hoots. Or maybe he will smile as someone else starts to build support for battery....this more choice of power options is great for everyone. in fact any more LS is good. massoth users aren't going to worry about price - they haven't before!!

·
Super Modulator
20,781 Posts
Agreed on all points.

Yep, Massoth is too rich for my blood, nice stuff, although I still prefer my NCE throttle, more one touch buttons. I think lots of menus (like on the new TE) belong in restaurants, not garden railroads!

Regards, Greg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts