G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wichita Area Garden Railway Society (WAGRS) will be having their first Spring Steam Up and Open House at the home of Dave and Lana McLain. The McLains layout is has three interconnected lines and capabilities for track and battery power so everything can be run! Everyone is invited to bring some trains to run or just come by to watch and enjoy the company (and some great food!)
The McLains residence is at 2434 N. Amidon in Wichita, KS. The Steam Up and Open House will go from 10am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday April 19 & 20. Dave's layout was nearly completely re-done and drastically expanded two years ago so the layout has a mixture of a mature and new feeling to it. Their railroad has been a favorite in our club's Fall Garden Railroad Tour for many years. For those without any trains to bring, there will be "loaners" available! If you are in the area please stop on by and have some fun running trains on a Kansas pike!:)"

Here's a couple pictures of the McLain's layout from the 2006 Fall Tour. The remodeling of the layout's trackage had just been completed and the garden planting would wait until 2007:

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Steve,
Thanks for posting information about the Run this weekend. Do you plan on bringing the K27?
I can't get there until about 3:30 Saturday. A pair of SD45s, and the K-4 will be brought [if I can finish getting the K-4 back together]. Both sets will operate on either track power or battery power.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a video of my K-27 at the Steam-Up and Open House:

Here's a video of my Connie pulling the same consist earlier:

Here's one of Jim Carter's (pimanjc) K4 highballin' around the track:

G

·
0 Posts
Great photos and videos. Do you have any photos of the tank/refinery area? I'm looking to build these kits and I'd like to see how they look on a layout and next to a train or person for scale.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
RE: WAGRS Spring Steam up and Open House April 19 & 20

Steve,
Nice layout and thanks for sharing the video's.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me see if I have any still photos of the refinery. The towers are about 4ft. high and the whole structure is really nice! (I keep trying to tease Dave that he needs to "grime it down" to give it more realism!)

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Picture of the refinery with Jim Carter's [Pimanjc] SD45s in the background.

K-4 at the West Station.

JimC.

G

·
0 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for posting the refinery/tank farm photo. It was exactly what I was looking for. I'm definitely purchasing those kits for my layout./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts