G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
There will be a fair amount of energy wasted in the form of heat lowering the voltage down to 12 volts from 19.2. Especially if there is a also a reasonable load on the regulated voltage.

It would be much wiser to use 12 volt batteries.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hi Ken.
As long as the batteries have the same chemistry, are the same capacity and size then simply add 2 more cells in series to get to 12 volts (nominal).
Del is correct. We need a bit more information before we can give you proper advice.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hi Ken.

I think you should check the compatibility of the AirWire decoder with Faulhaber Motors.

Faulhaber have stated that it is safe to use a pwm output with their (so called) coreless motors when the frequency is above 5 Hz.

Below that coreless Faulhaber motors will overheat and may suffer winding damage.

· Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Posted By Kenneth Milner on 08/25/2008 9:00 PM
Tony - I've often wondered if the "brushless" motors and "coreless" motors were one in the same. Thanks for that bit of informaiton.
The Faulhaber motor I have is listed in the micromotor section and not the coreless section. Not sure if that makes a difference or not where the pwm frequency is concerned.
Ken

I can't guarantee coreless and brushless are the same. But I understand they are until I am told differently.
Posted By Kenneth Milner on 08/25/2008 9:00 PM
I think I mentioned that the stock Pittman motor hummed terrible when connected to the battery power. Al at CVP said it was the pwm frequency. The Faulhaber does not hum at all.
Ken

That is because the Faulhaber doesn't have an armature that can vibrate with the pwm frequency.

So if you're happy, I am happey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.