G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys, our vacation will be a tour around Lake Michigan this summer. Tour starts at June 19th in Chicago and we will leave on July 7th. Are there any public layouts or clubs to visit? We plan to see the RR museum in Green Bay and perhaps the one near Rockford. Any other recommendations appreciated. Thanks.:D

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Stefan,

There are a few smaller rail museums in WI you can check via google but the Mid-Continent (near Baraboo, WI) might be worth a look. The IL Rail museum in Union,IL is certainly worth a visit as is national rail museum in Green Bay.

The WI railway society (WGRS) has a meeting on June 24th that you are certainly welcome to visit. I'm not sure where it will be yet but it is usually hosted at a member's layout. I'll update you here when I'm informed.

Sam

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Sam, thanks for your response. I will check the net for your tips and see if it is on our route or nearby. There is no problem with some extra miles to see something interesting. Keep me updated, please. Thank you so far.

Stefan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PSLIMO, thank you, looks great and it it is exactly on our route. We fly into Chicago from Germany and we have three weeks for the trip around Lake Michigan and surroundings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Stefan,

If your group is from Germany, definitely stop at the museum of Science and Industry there's something for everybody to see and that's the largest layout in the Midwest. Just north is the Field museum which is one of the largest Taxidermy museums in the world and the Shedd Aquarium is worth a look too.

For G scale in the Chicago area, try the Botanical Gardens. Once again something for everyone there. Here's a link:

http://www.chicagobotanic.org/gardens/railroad

Phil

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
There is a nice public outdoor garden railway in Valpraiso, Indiana, about 20 miles south of Lake Michigan in Indiana. Called the Taltree arboretum. The do have a website with pictures you can look at if there is interest in seeing it. We live about 2.5 hours south of Taltree. Mike and Michele T

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
I agree with Mike in the above statement, if you are into Garden/Gscale , Taltree is a must.
It is huge, full of scenes, mountains and bridges, cities,
Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts