G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know it's exciting to see these live steam engines chug around the tracks, but i'd like to suggest someone make (or let me know if one exists) a video showing a steam-up from t=0, from taking it out of the case (if you travel with yours) to filling the liquids, lighting the fire, use of the blower (fan and when to start the steam), etc, etc. show the entire boring process you go through before you start making the action mpegs.

and on the other end, how do you wrap up your steaming day? putting out the fire, blow-down, etc, etc.

i've yet to join the video camera age so all i can do is suggest the idea, but, it might be very informative.

or again, if any are know to exist (i've looked briefly at youtube, but haven't found any yet) please let me know or publish yours!

cheers...gary

·
Lord of the Steam
619 Posts
Marc Horovitz's video on Small Scale Live Steam is an excellent video. I purchased a copy many years ago (VHS) and when I was just learning (as opposed to still learning) referred to it many times. I'm not sure if it has been made available on DVD - (or if he plans to) didn't see it on his website.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Gary
If the weather permits, we are to steam at Steve's next Tuesday. Ill set up my camera on a tri[od and try to get the whole thing from the get go with my new S2. I need to learn all i can about the firing of the engine and proper handling of the water and by-pass set up. Plus the shutting down of the alcohol fire.\
The video mentioned above is great for the gas fired engines but i am learnig that there is a world of difference in running
something other than gas.
Hope we can get it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts